Notices

Ready to stop this Percocet madness

Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to stop this Percocet madness

I don't really know how to start except to say that I am addicted to oxycodone. 7 months ago I was prescribed oxycodone 10 mg 4 times a day, for multiple (4) herniated cervical disc, among other neck problems. By month 2 I was taking more than the prescribed amount, sometimes to relieve my pain and sometimes just to feel good and keep going. I had surgery 10 days ago and I am just ready to get off this med. I have gone through the roller coaster of withdrawal and the excitement of the date it was time to pick up my pills. I have done things that I am ashamed of to feed this addiction, like manipulate people to help me get or give me pills when I ran out. I left my job because I had easy access to narcotics I just couldn't trust myself not to steal drugs from my employer. It just happened that my neck problem is such, I was able to leave my job for medical reasons. I need help. I am going to my doctor who prescribed this medication to me so that I can come clean about my problem and ask him for his guidance and help.

By the way I now average about 60-70 mg per day.

I am currently prescribed by my neurosurgeon 5 mg 4 times a day. Just picked up this script yesterday, what a shock to the system, I told myself I would try to take only 4 today, I took 7, I am so frustrated and ashamed.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds as though you have admitted you are an addict. Getting honest with your doctor is the next right thing to do! Are you going to make a plan for your recovery beyond getting honest your need to get clean?

I am an addict in recovery. I learned how to stay clean as a member of Narcotics Anonymous. I went to meetings to find others who had learned how to stay clean. NA has been a great program for learning.

Let us know how we can help. Your frustration and shame can be overcome by taking the 12 steps.

Peace,
Missy
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Right now I am struggling with getting clean. I knew that when I started taking this drug it was addictive. But until you really experience addiction you just don't understand how horrible it really is. I now take a drug to make me normal, but that is not normal. The depression is debilitating. I am trying to figure out if I should try to wean myself from this drug, Is that possible? I have a child at home, I need to function, but I need to get off these meds. I know I am rambling. My mind is going a million miles a minute. I want this to be over, but this step has just begun.

I will be calling my doctors office to make an appointment, hopefully he will see me today. Need guidance. Need Help. I am scared. I am ashamed.

I did look into what my community has to offer as far as NA, and there is a program close. I will be calling them as well.

I did have surgery 11 days ago, I do have pain, has anyone ever experienced accu puncture for pain. Any suggestions for pain control other than drugs?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hi Nubether,
Welcome to SR and the NA 1st Step Forum. In this forum we dicuss NA's 1st Step:

"We admitted we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable."

NA is a program of recovery from the disease of addiction. The first thing we do, in order for the program to work, is stop using drugs. How each of us gets to the point of stopping varies from addict to addict, so it really isn't appropriate here to offer medical advice, suggestions for tapering, pain management or drug substitution.

There are many folks here at SR (willing to help) who've gone through what you're going through. Posting in the appropriate forum will increase your chances of getting the help you seek. Here's a few suggestions:

The Newcomers Forum - Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

The Substance Abuse Forum - Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Recovery & Pain Management Forum - Recovery and Pain Management - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Best wishes,
G
Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Welcome.

Originally Posted by nubether View Post
I don't really know how to start except to say that I am addicted to oxycodone. 7 months ago I was prescribed oxycodone 10 mg 4 times a day, for multiple (4) herniated cervical disc, among other neck problems. By month 2 I was taking more than the prescribed amount, sometimes to relieve my pain and sometimes just to feel good and keep going. I had surgery 10 days ago and I am just ready to get off this med. I have gone through the roller coaster of withdrawal and the excitement of the date it was time to pick up my pills. I have done things that I am ashamed of to feed this addiction, like manipulate people to help me get or give me pills when I ran out. I left my job because I had easy access to narcotics I just couldn't trust myself not to steal drugs from my employer. It just happened that my neck problem is such, I was able to leave my job for medical reasons. I need help. I am going to my doctor who prescribed this medication to me so that I can come clean about my problem and ask him for his guidance and help.

By the way I now average about 60-70 mg per day.

I am currently prescribed by my neurosurgeon 5 mg 4 times a day. Just picked up this script yesterday, what a shock to the system, I told myself I would try to take only 4 today, I took 7, I am so frustrated and ashamed.
Hi Nubether.

In addition to the NA forum, you might want to check out the Substance Abuse threads. There are lots of people on there just like you who you can swap stories with.

You are not alone.

FT
Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Drug Addiction....Need for Pain Relief...?

Hi Nubether,

I am one that can't take a drug that is a narcotic because it makes me crazy & very angry. But I do manage well with Tylenol or Ibuprofen for my Osteo-Arthritis & bulging disks.

When I had my back surgery 5 years ago I went crazy on the Morphine & later that night quit breathing. Luck was with me cuz a nurse found me before it was too late.

I make sure to have a good rapport with my doc as to why I cannot take narcotics even though I need something for pain. My addiction is alcohol but I have been sober in recovery for 22 years.

Best of luck to you,

kelsh
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcoem to SR.....
Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am new to this, I didnt realize what I was posting was inappropriate, as I am powerless over this addiction and my life has become unmanageable, thank you for the suggestions.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am new to this, I didnt realize what I was posting was inappropriate, as I am powerless over this addiction and my life has become unmanageable, thank you for the suggestions.
none of what you posted is inappropriate!

You are safe here.

Keep reading and posting.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Keep coming back!

No...nothing you wrote was inappropriate. What I said was, it would be inappropriate for others to offer you medical advice, suggestions for tapering, pain management or drug substitution. Feel free to share...I was just offering some help by steering you to the other forums.

G
Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gmoney View Post
No...nothing you wrote was inappropriate. What I said was, it would be inappropriate for others to offer you medical advice, suggestions for tapering, pain management or drug substitution. Feel free to share...I was just offering some help by steering you to the other forums.

G
Hi G,

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, I understand now that the NA 12 steps are for people who have stopped taking the substance, I appreciate everyones guidance and support. Thanks for leading me in the right direction

Nubether
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did have surgery 11 days ago, I do have pain, has anyone ever experienced accu puncture for pain. Any suggestions for pain control other than drugs?[/QUOTE]

About 4 years ago I was bending over washing my dog and could NOT straighten up. When I finally did It hurt so bad I could barely walk. I went to an acupuncturist who came highly recommended. It was GREAT. 80% of the pain was gone and I could walk!! He wanted me to back 8 more times ( to fix the other 20%) but since it was out of pocket I couldn't afford to.....

I would highly recommend acupuncture to anyone at least before they try injections or surgery for back pain....

~G
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

notamat ....Welcome....

Glad to know the treatment worked well for you
Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had been on percocet and whatever narc I could get for over 15 yrs! Then I found another med to help me wean off that med. Was given that for over 3 yrs, too long! Got highly addicted to that as well. I'm so done! Am changing Dr.'s too. Am on day 30 now. Good luck! I so know how it feels. 40 yrs of addiction is a long as time. And the past 15 on pain meds. YUK! Hang in there. I wish you all the luck. Keep coming back, it works it u=ya work it. Love and peace to all~
Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also know exactly how you feel, I am new here and still just have my feelers out, but I am in the throws of withdrawls as we speak. Day 2 clean of a 2 year Norco 10 mg addiction. I am glad all of us can band together to help eachother, I'm feelling really crappy today and am glad I can vent here......
Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Everyone with opiate addictions, ask your doctors about a medical detox...to try and do it yourself is extraordinarily dangerous!! I just went through all this in May, and I witnessed others have severe seizures, hallucinations, etc. trying to do it on their own. Get serious and get to a doctor who will supervise you, hopefully as an inpatient. You deserve the best medical care to give you the best chance of safe success! Good luck.