Notices

Modafinil

Old 07-31-2006, 02:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Modafinil

aka provigil modalert ext ....

Has anyone tried this? My friend gave me a sample the other day, its FDA approved to treat narcolepsy, but has a number of (effective?) off label uses, such as depression, ADD/ADHD, and possbile other mental disorders.

ANyways, I really loved the stuff I must say =]

I typically sleep much more than average I would say, so perhaps this is why I liked something that recuces the amount of sleep that I need. But I was just curious of anyones opinions of this drug.
By the way Adrafinil has been sold for the past 20-+ years and is the precursor to this drug. Thank you.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Christian,

I take Provigil, usually everyday. I am diagnosed with depression and have been going through a long lasting almost debilitating depression. Provigil helps me to do a few things during the day. When I'm just normally depressed, it works much better. It gives me energy and focus. My psychiatrist, whom I have been seeing for 15 years now, perscribed it about a year ago. He said it is given to airforce pilots to, not only keep them awake, but more importantly, to keep them focussed.

My doc's all for it. He said it absolutely has no stimulants in it. He did say that one might feel the effect of stopping it suddenly by having less energy than when on it. But, it is not addictive.

Seems too good to be true. But it does help me.

Carol
Old 08-02-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

modafinil

Thanks for replying Carol.

From what I understand, it can be mildly addicting, but not in the way that a narcotic like heroin or cocaine is addicting. It is extremely safe from my research. Do you have to pay full cost? From my research it is pretty expensive.

My problems is I sleep a lot and am tired/groggy a lot. When I took it the one time, this seemed to go away, I really felt good. I only took one dose, but over the next few days I did not withdrawl, but I did 'miss' the feeling/energy I had on it.

I am very optimistic about this drug! First it is not at all like any amphetamines or Ritalin, which I avoid like the plague. It seems to be very mild and reduces the amount of sleep one needs, however the good part is you CAN goto sleep on it, where an amphetamine or other may keep you wired and leave you unable to sleep.

My issue with it is, I am wondering if being on this drug can cause positive changes in my brain chemisty and eventually and hopefully soon leave me in a place where I am no longer needing to take this anymore. I am not sure, I dont want it to be something to turn a frog into a price, but back to a frog when one is not one it. I would like to to assist in recovery and brain chemistry changes long term, leading to the eventual termination of it.

So how long would you say havey ou been on it for? What happens (if ever) where you run out of skip a few days from taking it. Also, what dosage do you take? I think they come in 200mg pills, I have heard some people take 100 in the morening, and 100 half way through the day (split pill), but I know someone else who takes up to 600mg a day on certain days if he is exercising or doing other large tasks.

ok, well thanks for the replay, if anyone else has any personal information about this, go ahead and chime in at any point =]

-Christian
Old 08-02-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Christian,

Yes, from what my psychiatrist and my own research has offered, provigil seems to be safe.

Luckily, I have perscription coverage because provigil IS extremely expensive and has not yet gone generic.

I take 100 mg. two or three times a day. The maximum dose is 400 mg a day, at least that's what my doc says.

It does help a lot with tiredness and grogginess, although I've found you can build up a tolerance to it. Then, I have to cut back for awhile. It is suggested you don't take a pill 8 hrs. prior to going to bed, but I have had to do that and it hasn't interfered with my sleep. Sounds like a wonder drug, doesn't it? The drawback, for myself anyway, is the tolerance I build up.

I don't know anything about it causing positive permanent effects in the brain, and my doc hasn't said anything about this. I will ask him when I see him in a month.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Also, let me know if you decide to go on it.

Take care.

Carol
Old 08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

one last question for now, did you notice any (significant) weight loss while takign this? I have read from users experiences that some poeple get this side effect. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi

Provigil did not affect my weight at all. However, my psychiatrist said it can cause weight loss in some people.

Keep me posted.

Carol
Old 08-03-2006, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Interesting, hope it can help you.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Rapid Cycling Bi Polar

I wonder if this would help me??? The cocktail of meds I am on for mood stabilization has put 30 lbs on me...better than a few years ago when I was severely depressed & they put 65 lbs on me...
I've never gon severely manic..just manifested in workaholism..mostly depression..right now I am rapid cycling during the day between what I feel is normal for me and down to extreme low energy and into bed..just can't get anything done...so I'm isolating, not worth doing anything if I'm going to crash by the time I get started...

Only thing is that when I tried Welbutrin I did start going manic & had to immediately go off....

Anyway..sorry for the long story..but just wondering if anyone on this new med identifies..would I disqualify because I am BI-polar ??

Thx Janni
Old 08-04-2006, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Upanddown,

I would say you need to talk to your doctor about provigil. I don't know how it might affect someone who is bi-polar. I am just clinically depressed. (just!)

I tried Wellbutrin and had to go off it . It made me extremely hyper and gave me the worst headache.
Keep me posted and take care.

Carol
Old 08-04-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

HI

I agree with CarolM. Talk to your doctor about this. From all that I have heard doctors really love and are getting good results with this a variety of treatments, but it is currently only FDA approved for narcolepsy.

So I think the best plan would be to talk with your doctor, and also do some of your own research yourself to see if it sounds like something you would want to be on. If you have any specific questions me or CArolM maybe be able to help you if we already konw the answer. Thanks!

-Christian
Old 08-05-2006, 03:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you tend toward mania, not sure provigil would be a good drug, but I would check w/your doctor. I have depression, I had more difficulty sleeping on Wellbutrin and it made me feel more wired as well. I didn't really find it to be a helpful drug overall. My doctor said either Wellbutrin works or not at all.

My AH is bipolar and extremely sensitive to meds. He complains about the weight gain on his meds too. He's on Depakote and Seroquel both with tendency for weight gain. He tried Lamictal and it put him into mania. So did Trazodone for sleep.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

my seconds day on Modafinil today. Yesterday I took 1/4 a dose about 50 mg. Today I did 100mg (1/2 dose) in the morning each time upon waking.

Feel good, yesterday I had kinda 'crash' in the evening with cloudiness/fog.

I notice I am becoming more sensitive to food. Like eating sugary or starchy food will leave me feeling weird immediately and especially in about 45 minutes.

Today all I ate really was watermelon which was delicious, and really thats it. I had energy too to play tennis and go out. So I'm still interested in this drug I dont want to have any withdrawl or comedown though like adderall, so if i experience this on abstinence, i will most liekly discontinue use.

so far so good though. i also have been giving some out to some friends and family (i know, i know). So far, the repsonses are 'feeling nothing' to improved mood.

I am depressive by nature you should konw also.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hmm, im not sure, but my guess is no.

I think this works best for people who aer on the tired side usually. How many hours do you sleep a night? I often have problems getting to sleep (no meds taken into consideration), and stay up really late on internet forum, but then sleep all during the day. So I am not sure if that is considered insomnia, sicne I am getting a lot of sleep, just I can't fall asleep.

Buut, my guess is that the 2 would contradict eachother. Also, I think trazodone is a benzo ...

ok i jsut read up on trazodone, it is a SSRI and an antidepressant, not a benzo. So I dont think this would effect or have interactions with Modafinil.

But, if you say you are on the side of not getting enough sleep (is this what insomnia means? or does it simply imply abnormal sleep sched?), then probably Modafinil would not be optimal for you.

On the other hand, that you did have good results with Strattera shows a sign that you may benefit from this as well.

And, also I am in oyur shoes with the 'label' issue, manic-bi-polar-ptsd/add !

In actuality from someone I konw who works at a SPECT brain scan facility, the theory coming to the forfront now is that these are all related really to 'hot' and 'cold' areas in the brain. over and under stimulation in different areas. So at the clinic she works at, they refer to these all basically as 'mood disorders' and dont have all these individual names like bi-tri-polar-syndrome ext...

anyways, you might be able to obtain a sample or few doses and see how it goes for you with the trazodone. there is no clinical interactions, the only interaction with Modafinil is with women taking birth control hormonal contrceptives, since Modafinal makes them less effective apparently. It pays to do your own research and be informed!

so take this into consideration
Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I started to go manic (for the first time) on Welbutrin - darn - thought I would quit smoking on it..Doc says I must add that to my allergy list...

Anyway..electroshock for 6 weeks starting Wed..so maybe this will help(cure would be a miracle) the rapid cycleing - mostly depressed that is keeping me unable to do too much...OOOOO I hope it works...I want a WHOLE life back !!!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh, you are a smoker too ... you should switch to niccoteine gum to get your fix, becasue the drug delivery system, tobacco, is really realy toxic and a carcinogen.

im not saying anything is wrong with niccoteine though ... but ... maybe that is responsible for your mood disorder, i mean its a pretty strong drug in itself, and a stimulant, and you say you can't sleep soo I'd think it would be one of the first things to eliminate for your insomnia.

im suprised wellbutrin didn't help you with your nicoteine cravings, i have heard it to be very effective before for this.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So you're actually dealing those pills, Christian? *rolls eyes*

Marte
Old 08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

From those I know of Lexapro...they haven't had much luck with it and it's actually seemed to worsen some symptoms.

My best friend (a bipolar also) take pravidgel and I've taken a 1/2 of one once and a full one another time...and it helped my extreme tiredness and lack of energy after a full night of sleep. As soon as i get another Pdoc, I'm going to ask to be prescribed this since I also have ADD too.

Thanks for this tread, I've been wanting to read about what others thought about it!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BSPGirl
So you're actually dealing those pills, Christian? *rolls eyes*

Marte
? no i am not dealing them but im not sure if this was a joke or not ?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

modafinil experience

I have bad lethargy during the day and also suffer from depression. I'm doing a sleep test tonight to see what is going on with my sleep pattern.

I have been clean and sober for 9 years and am tremendously grateful for this. I'm considering using Provigil (modafinil) as an add-on to my current AD as I hear it helps not only with wakefulness but also depression. My only concern is that it is addictive. How have you gone in this regard? Do you find you have any kind of mental obsession or physical compulsion toward the drug?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by billsnephew View Post
I have bad lethargy during the day and also suffer from depression. I'm doing a sleep test tonight to see what is going on with my sleep pattern.

I have been clean and sober for 9 years and am tremendously grateful for this. I'm considering using Provigil (modafinil) as an add-on to my current AD as I hear it helps not only with wakefulness but also depression. My only concern is that it is addictive. How have you gone in this regard? Do you find you have any kind of mental obsession or physical compulsion toward the drug?
I was on it for years until no insurance or other way. Never felt addicted in the least. It's much more subtle than things like adderal, which has addictive qualities, plus no jitters or anything like adderal either.

I did find that it took, on average, 2-4 hours to really start helping me with wakefulness.

Granted, I could often take my provigil, have an energy shot, a double espresso coffee & more caffeine drinks, within just a couple hours & still go to sleep pretty easily. Depends on how bad I'm struggling with fatigue/wakefulness that day.

At my worst....I sat my alarm to wake me around 4 a.m. to take it (kept within reach), then go back to sleep. It would then help me be able to get up 3-4 hours later to go to work.