Notices

Paranoid Psychosis-My Story

Old 08-09-2005, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Paranoid Psychosis-My Story

Hello....My name is Simon & I'm new to this part of the board, in fact I was posting in the wrong section before.
I was diagnosed with Paranoid Psychosis about 9 years ago & like everyone else on the board I have had a bumpy ride from the time of diagnosis up until now. I am 37 years of age & I come from Australia.
I am currently taking 400 mgs of Solian for my Paranoid Psychosis as well as 50 mgs of Zoloft for my Clinical Depression, which isn't a very big dose of Zoloft.
What I was wondering, does anyone on this board find Zoloft interferes with their sleeping patterns? I would greatly appreciate some feedback on Zoloft.
I have been lacking motivation in the last year or so & have found myself drinking Alcohol(which is stupid because Alcohol is a depressant) & on odd occasions smoking Marijuana for the first time in my life(which made me fearful & panicky & was stupid). I trace the Alcohol & Marijuana to a Valium Addiction which I attained when I was seriously depressed & had a Paranoid episode & I was wondering has anyone on this board found themselves addicted to Valium & tried to substitute other drugs for a lack of Valium?
My Paranoid Psychosis was caused by hormones & wasn't drug related for up until now, I hadn't ever truly dabbled in Marijuana & I hope I don't ever again!
I've been having a hard time lately & would appreciate your support & in turn I would like to support whoever I can.
Mental Illness is common in my family & my brother is a Schyzophrenic & is a very heavy Cannabis user & I don't want to get addicted to Pot or Alcohol as they can damage one's mental state.
This post is very long but I've left a lot out, thankyou for reading my story &
I'm glad I found this board & have a new support network.

Yours Sincerely,
Old 08-09-2005, 11:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

hi there simon im on same medication as you as im on solian(amisulpride)
sry i wondering why your on a anti depressive because solian acts and helps with depression too aswell as a mood stabiliser? i would of thought either one of the drugs could be giving you a unsettled night.. solian can have a side effect of insomnia or it could be the anti depressant

hope that helps..
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for repying Erratic.....They put me on Zoloft about three years ago because my psychosis spiralled into a major Depression with obsessional thoughts. It took me over a year to get better again. The only thing I don't like about Zoloft is the 'speediness' of the drug, like I hardly ever really feel tired, although I do manage to get some sleep. My Psychiatrist found that Psychotic meds alone weren't able to control my Paranoid Obsessions & delusions, a lot of them were of a religious nature.....

Yours Sincerely,
Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

aww right simon..

doesnt the drug counter each other out? im on solian because im parnoid aswell as anxiety,hulicination,negative feelings and so. i have been depressed also but the med actualy controls it aswell..i mean it helps me keep calm aswell as it keeps me up if you understand.. have they not tried you on a higher dose.. you can be up to 1000 a day but then the drug is for pycosis and Schyizophrenia.

have you tried sleeping tablets? anyway i hope you get this sorted i know what its like not to sleep .
Old 08-10-2005, 12:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Erratic....I'll talk to my Psychiatrist & ask him if it's wise to be on an Ant-Depressant like Zoloft & Solian....I'd rather just increase the dosage of Solian. I've tried sleeping pills & most of the time my Psychiatrist gives me Valium to help me sleep, but I don't like taking it because it is addictive & after a period of using Valium, the user becomes immune to its effects.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi sh777au. I had the same experience with zoloft as you-too speedy for me. And you know about benzos. I've never been on solian but what Erratic says sounds like an idea. You could ask your doctor about upping the solian and maybe you won't need the zoloft then. Here's a page about solian.
http://www.priory.com/focus13.htm
Take care.

Sincerely, Cate.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Cate for your feedback....I'll check out the link on Solian....

I go to see my Psychiatrist next week....I'll ask him some questions.....

Yours Sincerely,