Notices

Could use some help

Old 03-06-2020, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could use some help

Hi all ,
Not sure if you remember me , but I stopped drinking three years ago and have been in a treatment resistant depression ever since . Also have TONS of anxiety with my depression . My psychiatrist at the time three years ago put me on ativan stating that although he knew I had a problem with drinking he felt I would not become addicted to the Ativan . I haven’t become addicted, but I have built up a tolerance to the current dose I am on . It no longer works for me and I will not raise it . I started a taper of this medication last week and already the withdrawals and anxiety are awful . My doctor has given me a tapering schedule. In three years I have tried 24 meds with the Ativan and nothing has worked to get me out of this depression . My fear is that the anxiety will be 10 times worse going off the Ativan because it has never been resolved . I am so very scared and feel like I’m going through alcohol withdrawal all over again . At least this time, with the Ativan, I didn’t stop cold turkey like the alcohol . I could really use encouragement right now as I know this process will take at least 4 months and after the 4 months the withdrawals will probably get even worse . Anyone with insight or encouragement..... it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My opinion is not everyone that is a doctor is meant to be a doctor. I feel the same about mechanics and teachers. Maybe get another opinion?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dunno but it's probably a good thing you're getting off that benzo dude. Just think positively of that. Also what's that, a four month taper? That sounds crazy to me, though I'm no expert... Sounds like you should be changing doctors regardless.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I support you!! I've never had the anxiety problem so I can't really comment on that. Benzodiazepines can be a nightmare to come off of and it sounds like your doctor has a solid plan for that. From what I've read on the internet, 4 months is good. I wish you the absolute best with this.

We've talked about getting a new doctor before, so I won't even comment on that.

It sounds like we've tried the same medications for depression and it appears like it's pretty standard treatment. Go down the list. In my case, my psychiatrist thinks the Lamictal might have kicked in after about 2 months. My case was highly unusual. Anyway, my best to you.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
I dunno but it's probably a good thing you're getting off that benzo dude. Just think positively of that. Also what's that, a four month taper? That sounds crazy to me, though I'm no expert... Sounds like you should be changing doctors regardless.
What sounds crazy about a 4 month taper ? Too fast or too slow ? I’ve been on the Ativan for three years .
Old 03-06-2020, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
I support you!! I've never had the anxiety problem so I can't really comment on that. Benzodiazepines can be a nightmare to come off of and it sounds like your doctor has a solid plan for that. From what I've read on the internet, 4 months is good. I wish you the absolute best with this.

We've talked about getting a new doctor before, so I won't even comment on that.

It sounds like we've tried the same medications for depression and it appears like it's pretty standard treatment. Go down the list. In my case, my psychiatrist thinks the Lamictal might have kicked in after about 2 months. My case was highly unusual. Anyway, my best to you.
Thanks Headeast . I’m hoping with the taper and once successfully off that maybe I will find the long term use of the Ativan made the anxiety and depression actually worse , but that is probably wishful thinking . The way things have gone for me the last three years , I will probably be ten times worse , if that’s even possible !!
Old 03-07-2020, 01:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
From what I've read on the internet, 4 months is good. I wish you the absolute best with this.
Okay my bad, it just sounds like such a long time. Another good reason though to get off and stay off; it can't be any good long-term. In the UK it's 'usually only recommended for up to 4 weeks' (NHS).
Old 03-07-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It took me longer than 4 months to taper off benzo's. Haven't had a benzo for 12 months. Things have improved but suffering PAWS still. Benzo withdrawal is the worst circle of hell.

Not true for ALL people.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
It took me longer than 4 months to taper off benzo's. Haven't had a benzo for 12 months. Things have improved but suffering PAWS still. Benzo withdrawal is the worst circle of hell.

Not true for ALL people.
how long were you on the benzos ? And how long did it take you ? I’m really scared but I know I can’t continue cause they aren’t working and I refuse to raise the dose again .
Old 07-11-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rharman, I don't have any experience with Atvian. All I can say is the more motivated you are to heal your problems, and hence, the more actions you take to solve them, the quicker and more easily you will shift out of the current state you are in to a more positive one. Think of anything and everything you can do to help yourself and do it.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been taking xanax for over 20 years . I ran out of them a few weeks ago and it could have killed me .
I had what is called cold sweats . It is hard to stop them .
Look up xanax withdrawl on web it is like ativan .