Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else dealing with family members who have assinine political views?

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am not exaggerating when I say that I am grateful to my family members that I have a place to live right now while I am looking for new employment.

I am very grateful.

However, I am also getting angry. I keep telling myself that I have no right to feel this way, and this is all about politics, or is it?

My family members are elderly. They have deeply ingrained views that have changed a little since I was a child. They are fearful.. of pretty much everyone and everything. Thus, their politics and ethics reflect their fear.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about what exactly they are afraid of. They are afraid of other human beings that are different than themselves. Circumstances that are different than what they have dealt with in the past, changing technology, medical costs.

My mother is afraid of the "me too" movement. Sigh. My MOTHER. A woman who hasn't held a job outside of the home in her lifetime.

I think what they are afraid of is becoming invisible. When we go to restaurants, the waiters and staff speak to me, even though my parents frequent this particular restaurant. I'm not in charge, they are. It's like they are invisible.

Who is afraid of being invisible? Aren't we all afraid of that? And if so, who can prey upon that? Whose demographic do you belong to?

Who wants you when you think you are invisible?

I want to love them as they are. They aren't going to change, but it doesn't make them bad people, does it?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My parents are pretty similar.

I'm pretty sure my dad gets off on trying to get a rise from me over whatever it might be that day in the newspapers.

I learned a long time ago to switch off and not engage with them.

Like you say they're scared of a world they think is becoming increasing alien to them and logic doesn't always make much of an inroad with that.

Arguing just depletes my energy.

I don't live with them tho - that would add a layer of complexity - hope you can find employment and find your own place soon

D