Notices

I'm struggling with depression

Old 11-19-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm struggling with depression

I've had an issue with depresson on and off throughout my life, so I know the warning signs.

I'm uninsured right now, so therapy is not an option, and in the past therapy really didn't help, medication did.

I've been exercising a lot, but I have too much time on my hands because I have yet to find a job. The emotional rollercoaster of unemployment is really getting to me.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, and I don't think I am looking for answers from anyone. I'm just really trying to use my mind to get through this and to cultivate maybe a little hope.

I am grieving so deeply right now that my chest hurts. I have got to say that I am more than a little scared.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you reach out for help from your parents to get in to see a GP about reinstating your medication? Are there any free or low cost clinics in your area.

You've been through a lot Emmalynn, why not reach out for help? There are depression support groups (if you are interested in attending), but if you have found medication helped you in the past, now is the time to seek that help again perhaps? Some drugs can be obtained at low or for free based on your financial situation.

Depression is no different that for instance, having a broken arm. You wouldn't try to heal that without assistance and at the very least you would go and visit a GP and ask their advice. I really hope you will.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its difficult to cope without an external routine to guide us through the day. Im unemployed and staying up all night, it sucks. My heart feels like its dying. So i feel your pain.

Well done for exercising
Old 11-20-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I agree with trailmix that seeking out a free or low cost clinic could be considered, when we are in desperate need there's usually help that we might be overlooking.

Keep up with the exercise, I find that walking helps me a lot and I've been picking up a guitar lately too. These creative outlets remind me of the person Iwas 40 years ago, pre-addictions, and they put my depression in the rear view mirror for awhile.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry I haven't been present for this thread, it was a tough couple of weeks. I am through the worst of it at the moment. I understand that therapy/ medication does help with depression, and I've done it in the past. I guess because I am no longer insured I am afraid to incur the expenses. I am just going to have to tough this one out. I am horribly stubborn, so I have that going for me.

Thank you for your responses and I apologize for concerning you and then essentially disappearing.

E
Old 12-05-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If there is a free or low cost clinic near you., why not give them a call? I've no idea but meds might not be as expensive as you think?

https://healthfinder.gov/FindService...px?code=HR3902

D
Old 12-06-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee - thank you for the suggestion, I do appreciate it. I am just not ready to go that route again. I've done it at least 3x before and it didn't stick so I am looking for alternatives to conventional medicine and therapy. It all feels a bit humiliating to be honest.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had to try group therapy, churches, mental hospitals, psychiatrists, and finally a therapist recognized that I smiled when I spoke about AA meetings, so he suggested I stopped seeing him and just spend my time in the rooms. He was right. I think that a major part of our journey is the discovery of what gives life to us and lifts us up.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Astro!

Well I went online and found a therapist I can write to on a psych site. I thought I would give it a try. It's about $160 a month. I still have money in my HSA account so it's not going to pinch my pocketbook too badly. I'll let you know how it goes as it's a first for me, since it's not face to face.

E
Old 12-10-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My prayers and support to you, Em.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emmalyn View Post
Thank you Astro!

Well I went online and found a therapist I can write to on a psych site. I thought I would give it a try. It's about $160 a month. I still have money in my HSA account so it's not going to pinch my pocketbook too badly. I'll let you know how it goes as it's a first for me, since it's not face to face.

E
I'm doing this too, it's a great alternative to paying full price. It's only been a couple weeks but it's already helped me make some connections (albeit ones that should've been "common sense") with how I can do things differently and change the way I'm looking at things..

Best wishes and hope it goes well for you!
Old 12-16-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I can relate here. The persistence of intrusive thoughts is sometimes only quietened with a drug, even if thats love. Strength is empowerment x
Old 12-16-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I've read that walking outdoors is very helpful with depression. Some studies show it's as effective as medication, depending on the individual.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
I've read that walking outdoors is very helpful with depression. Some studies show it's as effective as medication, depending on the individual.
Walking, hiking (sometimes with a fishing pole or hunting rifle in my hands) or even snowshoeing, I find that nothing relieves me of anxiety, depression, and allows me to breathe easier than these activities, except for maybe falling asleep in a flannel sleeping bag