Notices

Is Therapy always useful?

Old 11-08-2019, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Therapy always useful?

I am partaking in long term group therapy. 9 months in I am finding that it is doing a lot more than good. In fact I am failing to see any good.

I suffer from Complex PTSD amongst other things. The therapy has triggered this and is not only opening old wounds but causing me to relive them as if they happened yesterday.

I have tried to share my concerns with the therapist but she has dismissed them saying it is just uncomfortable feelings. I don't find sharing, with a group of people my inner most feelings, possible or even beneficial. But there is so much stuff I need help with.

After the last two sessions I have left visibly shaking and feeling mentally very unstable. I can be extremely vulnerable and my mental health declines very quickly in times of stress.

I get this treatment from the NHS Mental Health and have basically been told this or nothing. I don't know what to do.

I am interested to hear of others experiences.

Thank you.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Have you considered seeing someone else, is that an option? That was my experience, I didn't find my first therapist particularly helpful but the second one was amazing and after a year he suggested I use group therapy instead. We're all going to have different experiences and reactions, I felt it was important to recognize that when one didn't help it was time to move on and try something different.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kaily, my only group based part of recovery is AA. I don't think I would need or want a therapy group of any kind. I believe that one on one with a good therapist or psychiatrist is always valuable, whether short term or ongoing like me. I expect to always see my psych for med assessment and maintenance; she was vital when I first got sober, and probably the first 1, 1 1/2 for talk therapy as well. Now I see a counselor type therapist for more general life strategy and emotion handling, if you will - I started that a few months ago given some stuff happening now. I probably won't see her "forever" but she's great.

My husband and I also see a wonderful pastoral counselor every few months and it is one of the ways we take good care of what we call Team us.

You're doing so well in your recovery - it seems to me that your intuition about what is good for you is strong, I'd just urge you to keep listening to what professionals say as well as being proactive for what you know you might need.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Astro no seeing someone else unfortunately isn't an option.

August yes seeing someone one to one is what I need and want but the NHS run on budgets and putting us into a group is money saving. 1 therapist 8 patients, ridiculous.

Thanks both of you for taking the time to reply.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm just going to throw this out there. Maybe group therapy isn't your thing but unfortunately it's what you have for now.

Thing is, I don't know what caused your PTSD but maybe a more focused group is what you need? Maybe nothing as formal as going through medical channels? How about support groups for depression, anxiety, PTSD, or specific to you whether that is Adult children of Alcoholics or any other dysfunction you may have had to deal with.

Anyway there are generally (free) support groups for most of these issues and maybe seeing if there are any in your area would be helpful?
Old 11-09-2019, 11:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks trailmix.

I am going to have to give some thought into what to do. I am extremely sensitive to certain triggers. I am due to attend again this Wednesday but in my head it feels like putting myself in a battle field. I am actually scared to go because of the feelings it is provoking. If I was at least able to discuss this with the therapist it would be helpful but she refuses unless I discuss it with the group which I don't feel able to do.

I have been on a waiting list for 3 years to get this help. Without going into too much detail, I have a long history of trauma all my life culminating in all the things you mentioned above.

I am beginning to think no therapy is better than bad therapy. I think I need much more than they can offer me.

Yesterday was the closest I have come to drinking in many months and other bad thoughts. That obviously is dangerous. I can't mess about with my emotions like this and be safe.

I feel really let down that a therapist working in Mental Health hasn't recognised how much I am struggling. Apart from posting here I do not have any support whatsoever.

I feel a real terror in me that is hard to explain.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, it would be one thing to be in group therapy and have that followed up even, with one on one sessions.

Maybe baby steps. I would never suggest your bowing out of your group but how about adding another, like an anxiety support group? You might find like minded people there that you are more comfortable with?

Do you attend AA or Al-Anon at all?

Hopefully, there is a group or groups out there where you will find "your" people, those you can relate to. Small steps, maybe just investigate a bit and see what's out there?

Not sure what kind of generalized group you are in right now but it is a shame you are feeling so uncomfortable.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi! I just got through 3 months of therapy with a councelor. I had gone before. This time was different. I opened up completely. was ready to process.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sharpy View Post
Hi! I just got through 3 months of therapy with a councelor. I had gone before. This time was different. I opened up completely. was ready to process.
oh also...the good news is you go at your own pace. This is your healing
Old 11-25-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was sitting in my care today after hitting the gym and read a post about a friend here that is suffering from mental illness.

For the first time in my life I decided to google...what is mental illness.

One of the first links that popped up listed several symptoms.

As I read through the list I felt relief that I didn't currently suffer from many of the symptoms but....

When I was drinking I suffered from most of them.

I know Dr. Google is a terrible way to judge anything, but if anyone knows me from this site...Dr. Google has been a bit of a godsend for my trajectory out of the depths of active addiction.

For all of my friends here suffering from mental illness while working to maintain sobriety I pray for your serenity and peace of mind.

I really have nothing else of value to offer but my sincere blessing for your well being.

This place saved my life and I owe it nearly everything.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im sorry that youre in this situation...Ive been there. Ring urgent care if you're having another episode, sounds urgent to me.

When I'm down in a hole I usually wish I had communicated with as many people as possible. Family, gp, mental health telephone numbers etc.. basically made more of a fuss and believed I deserved better which you do too. Family can advocate for you if you dont feel strong enough. There is great therapy on NHS if you can fight the gatekeepers for it. Make sure they know what the possible harm for your wellbeing, of not getting the right help are....grease the wheels a lil bit..

Have you explained what you're going through with everyone you can think of ?
Old 11-26-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you doing Kaily?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking August. Still having the same problems with the therapy, sorta pushed into a corner. Still sober but it is not always easy, been a bit too close for comfort recently with all the upset.

Hope you are recovering well from your back surgery now.