SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   Too much time on my hands... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/442202-too-much-time-my-hands.html)

Wes0817 09-24-2019 02:49 PM

Too much time on my hands...

I've definitely got way too much time on my hands. I'm currently unemployed while trying to get disability for my mental health issues. The highlight of my week is going to church on Sundays and a men's ministry on Tuesday nights. I would try to get a part time job if I knew I had reliable transportation. It's easy to get stuck in my head and think about wanting to drink. But, I don't want to lose the progress I've made by getting back on my meds and staying pretty stable. Thinking about getting back into AA to occupy some time in a positive way. Just hate having so much free time and so few people to talk to that can relate and understand me. I am very thankful for this site, especially since it helps me feel not so alone. I can connect with others with similar mental illness and substance abuse issues. Not sure if any of this makes any sense, but thanks for letting me share.
Wes

Astro 09-25-2019 06:06 AM

It definitely makes sense Wes, I'm glad you've found this site and that you're active in Men's ministries and thinking about returning to AA.

After many years of recovery I've come to have such a busy life that I yearn for more time to attend AA meetings and continue with my recovery work. But the reality is that a sober life has blessed me with some fun side jobs, many relationships that I enjoy and spend time on, and a desire to experience as much in life as possible so I spend a lot of time outdoors with my adult children camping, hiking, fishing, and hunting.

Isn't free time a great problem to have? I think so! Well, I at least try to find a balance and give myself some rest and alone time too, and to me that seems like a pretty good problem to have.

Wes0817 09-25-2019 01:26 PM

I suppose it can be a great problem to have. At least I'm not completely overwhelmed by things. And I am grateful for the things I do have to occupy my time.

abgator 09-25-2019 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wes0817 (Post 7275252)
I suppose it can be a great problem to have. At least I'm not completely overwhelmed by things. And I am grateful for the things I do have to occupy my time.

Does your church offer weekday programs?

I recently started attending church after not having stepped foot in one for 25 years (that didn't involve a funeral). I signed up for their activities list to see what groups I might be able to get involved in. Unfortunately, they meet at times like 9am-12pm Tuesday and the like. And these are people mostly 40ish, give or take 10 years. Why isn't everyone at work like me? lol

AA is a good idea, though. My medium sized city (120k or so people) and there are, for the most part, AA meetings available every morning, lunch, and evening.

You may also want to try the app Meetup. I see groups meeting during the week for all kinds of things. Book clubs, physical activity, etc. People of all ages and demographics.

abgator 09-25-2019 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Astro (Post 7275040)
Isn't free time a great problem to have? I think so!

Idle time is the devil's playground, right? So I guess it depends what you consider "free time". Is free time just meaning you aren't working or is it when you literally have nothing else to do?

Wes0817 09-26-2019 04:46 AM

These are all great ideas that are definitely worth looking into. Definitely want more constructive things to help keep me in a good place without being overwhelmed. I'll look into it.

Astro 09-26-2019 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by abgator (Post 7275435)
Is free time just meaning you aren't working or is it when you literally have nothing else to do?

Speaking just for myself it's when I literally have nothing else to do. I tend to have a very busy schedule with three jobs, 3 grandchildren, a home to maintain, quite a few hobbies, and my wife likes to travel. Last night I got 7 hours of sleep and that's a rarity! I feel like recovery has blessed me with a very rich life, I'm grateful for that.

abgator 09-26-2019 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Astro (Post 7275651)
Speaking just for myself it's when I literally have nothing else to do. I tend to have a very busy schedule with three jobs, 3 grandchildren, a home to maintain, quite a few hobbies, and my wife likes to travel. Last night I got 7 hours of sleep and that's a rarity! I feel like recovery has blessed me with a very rich life, I'm grateful for that.

Nice.

I try to keep myself busy. I only work 45 hours a week, but my kid I have half the time keeps me busy. The other half I fill with the gym, AA, home/yard maintenance.

Free/spare time where I'm left with nothing to do but dwell upon being single for far too long has led to too many relapses. I hate free time lol.