Am I at risk for dying young - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Am I at risk for dying young

I keep having insomnia anxiety and brain dysfunction/health problems from drug abuse and PAWs which comes and goes. I am sensitive to just about everything out there now because my nervous system has been so sensitized, I experience side effects to everything. Taking zoloft made me want to kill myself. Taking an antibiotic made me anxious and depressed. I am always fearing death, what if I get sick and dont get better? What if anxiety or fatigue makes me get into a car accident? What if I lose my job and have to be homeless? I have these thoughts every day. I am still able to manage my life for the most part but I have these health issues that make it a lot more difficult than before drugs. What do I do? Help.
Thompson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thompson21 For This Useful Post:
Astro (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi Thompson - good to see you again

I went through years of health anxiety too.
It was a long process but things got a lot better once I stopped drinking and drugging.

I see my dr regularly and that seems to stop a lot of the anxiety too,

Have you considered seeing a counsellor about your anxiety?

D
Old 05-21-2019, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I had the same experience with the first few prescriptions I tried, seeing a new wellness physician helped me find something that worked over time to ease the anxiety. Those "what ifs?" eased over time and eventually went away as I stayed clean and sober, and actively engaged in a program of recovery.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dee

Yes I see a therapist regularly it seems to help. I dont know why but it's like I cant take any drug at all. Even tylenol makes my heart rate go up. I can take some supplements but that's it. I'm basically screwed if I need any major treatment for anything. If I had to have surgery God forbid the anesthesia might give me brain damage I'm sure. Who knows. My therapist keeps telling me to try things trial and error. But I need to work! And bad reactions to things will keep me from working sometimes. I have no one to blame but myself for this situation I've gotten myself into. Drug abuse can really mess you up. I'm almost 30 and here I am lamenting like an old man.
Astro (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Astro

Yes I'm getting used to this being the new normal but somedays I dont know if I can do it.
Astro (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

My mother died suddenly of cardiac arrest when I was 23, she was 54, and I had lots of health anxiety. What I learned in AA was to a) stop projecting and keep reeling my mind back into today, b) realize the fear was really about something else (from my childhood), c) therapy and helping others. As an alcoholic (27 years in recovery) I had self-centered fear. I realized I'm not only powerless over alcohol, I'm also powerless over people, places and things.

What can be an huge help is meditation. There are dozens of free guided meditation apps you can download. Start with ten minutes per day and increase. Also prayer is a big help, as is keeping a journal.

Realize that this is a temporary situation and it will pass!
NYCDoglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCDoglvr For This Useful Post:
Astro (05-22-2019)