Notices

Bipolar

Old 01-18-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bipolar

I have just under two years sober. My problems weirdly enough started when I quit. Started with people at work saying I was acting strange etc. I ended up losing a great job (got set up with a lie) and being diagnosed as bipolar.

I am in my 40s now. Possibly the alcohol was masking or keeping the bipolar under control all those years?

Certainly happy to be sober but wow did my life seem to get tough after quitting. Can anyone relate to this?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mental problems of depression and anxiety started to respond to medication after I quit drinking, that and other work/therapy on those issues that I couldn't otherwise do. I'm not sure how alcohol might affect bipolar disorder, it would be an interesting question for your doctor, and there are I think others who are bipolar here who might give you some of their personal insights.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was diagnosed bipolar before I started drinking, but drinking meant that my meds weren't working as they should. Once I got sober for good, my meds did the trick and my moods are much more balanced and smoother than they used to be.

Congrats on your nearing two years sober!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I used alcohol and cocaine to self-medicate my bipolar disorder.

My psychiatrist had better alternatives.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's quite common for someone with bipolar to self medicate. You can get your life under control with admitting and educating yourself on the problem, and committing to taking the medicine, for the rest of your life. If you stop and start it will never stay under control if it truly Bipolar.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Self medicating is extremely common for people with mental Heath issues. No one really knows who they are (including their true mood) when they're on a substance most of the day. Fortunately, there are a ton of mood stabilizers out there that work well for sober people.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is not unusual to find that life is more difficult at times once we are sober. The central nervous system has to repair after those years of abuse; we are learning to live with drugs/alcohol. For those of us with mental health issues, our symptoms can make things particularly difficult. I had depression for years before I achieved alcoholic status, so it should not have surprised me that it became an issue once I was sober. At least by then, I valued sobriety, and I took steps to treat it. I have also had a job loss similar to what you describe. I used to think that it was so unfair to get sober only to have these other problems. I now realize I can handle them because I am sober.