Notices

...and its the same

Old 12-26-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

...and its the same

I said some time ago about my battles with booze because of the MH system and trying to self medicate my anxiety symptoms and whats happened since?

Usual rubbish. Is the answer.

Why are MH systems so awful?

The worst thing with me is time and time again I prove MH services wrong.

I need certain help, i'm deprived of it. Months, even years pass and it's proven I needed that help all along. Yet i'm still not given it.

I feel absolutely disgusted in the service, that....well lets go back to 2017.

I was told repeatedly I would benefit from CBT. I said about everything including my drinking and how advice from MIND and my own understanding of CBT means it would be ineffective for me. MH teams didn't listen. I was told basically CBT or nothing.

I was on a waiting list for a year. I had CBT taking me up until October this year and guess what? No progress at all, as it wasn't the right service for me....err yes.

Now I have recently faced another ESA assessment deciding weather i'm fit for work or not and the result? 2 years in the Support group of ESA. The assessment staff was worried about me and was concerned as to why I hadn't ever been referred to secondary MH services.

The answer? The NHS.

I have told the NHS til i'm blue in the face I need access to secondary services. There's even been evidence that I am badly in need of that service, yet I get deprived of it every single time.

Not having access to that service not only affects my own progress but stops me being able to quit alcohol.

I leave the house alone (as I have nobody else). Symptoms of anxiety happen. I get nowhere. I feel awful, and what could have been an attempted walk to the shop turns into several beers for self medication purposes when the symptoms get too bad.

About 6 months ago I was given access to a temporary voluntary service where a volunteer would come and help me get out the house. With their help we went out 3 times a week. Was I tempted by booze? NO.

I actually had, for the time I was given that service 1 month off alcohol.

That service had to end and it's back to the same. It's clear that having that support for a longer period would help me massively but NHS staff? Nah, forget any referral.

Same with an occupational therapist. After an OT in hospital told me I would benefit from their services, who actually referred me to an appointment (which was going to get me referred to secondary services to have access to an OT), I ended up having the appointment with 2 CPN's who refused to refer me.

A month later I paid for a private OT from savings, who helped me and yes, for the time being the place was perfect living conditions. My money ran out though.

I struggle with Aspergers, anxiety, depression, PTSD and potentially early onset parkinsons disease (which has been a massive thing in my late family). The NHS are absolutely vile though in getting help and helping me get my life on track again.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry its so hard to get help Sam, but you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-26-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I self medicated for serious major depression, c- PTSD , CFS and anxiety for decades. The first thing I had to get sorted was stopping drinking. Meetings help a lot- even tho I do not do the god bit and yes, there are annoying people- but it is a good training ground for being with humans, socializing and giving back (dishes, etc). It is free and gets me out of my isolation. I also do learn by listening to others. The other big support I use is SR- a lot! I check in a few times a day and post on about 5-6 threads- it is a good way tostay sane- especially at night.

Mental health for me is- and always be issues that need addressing with professional help. For me the place where it began to turn around was getting a GP- who I keep, not rotating ones- the one GP. Even tho lots of travel- worth it. Especially for depression. My GP is also a good place for me to start - to find services I can get to. This means having patience- to wait and I do what I am told.

I know Australia has a different health care system, but perhaps there is stuff here you can use.

Support to you.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

TY both, I think yeah, the huge key with quitting drinking is society.

It's too obvious, i'm not really that capable of getting around by myself.

The whole thing with MH is it's gone on for too long.

It's 1 of 3 or 4 things in public. Either nobody says anything and people just mind their own business. People laugh and find my symptoms funny. People take my symptoms as being patronising or people get weirded out by my symptoms.

On the basis of being isolated and really needing to build some sort of support network, it becomes tricky. It's like that double punch. I'm trying to be out there, battling symptoms, having the difficulty myself, then i'm having a set back even further because of the discrimination or misunderstanding of my symptoms.

That at home then makes me feel worse... yanno... "I went out today, got slated by some kids over my symptoms. Back to an empty house".

I did change GP several times but i'm sure theres something in my medical records that is lies and prevents the help (in new year i'm requesting a copy and trying to wipe off those lies).

There just isn't a great deal specifically in this area, even volunteers who looked on that meetup (or meetme site) were surprised at how there's nothing here.

I need to look at a move, but then again under housing association, it's a trap. They wont allow me to move as to them I have a roof over my head. Trade sites wont swap as the place is in a very remote area that nobody wants to live in.

Definitely though, in new year it will be back to the GP, well a GP that wants to listen. Thank you
Old 12-28-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's terrible that you are having such an unsuccessful way with dealing with health services in your case.

Your diagnoses suggest that you really do need additional support than is being made available to you. I think you have identified a good strategy to review your medical records to try to seek out what may be a problem in your clinical history, or at least to know what it is that is being used in the case decisions made on your behalf. I don't know the NHS, but can you find one or more advocates to work on your behalf in this effort? It sounds like you could use the help of some outside pressure to try to affect the results that you are working toward. As the NHS is a State agency, they are more likely to respond to external scrutiny of how you are being treated.

The important thing is to maintain your strength of purpose. That means many things that you have mentioned but also trying to abstain from the alcohol as best as you can, as that is indeed the usual rubbish for outcomes. The drink is certainly not going to be of any use in your struggles to gain traction on your medical treatments or for your mental well being.