Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

would sensible drinking have saved you from alcoholism?

Notices

Old 10-23-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

20 years ago i developed a mental illness. i actually felt something change in my head. I became an alcoholic that very day. The day before I was a moderate sensible drinker. I stayed that way for 20 years until Abilfy maintena injections reset my brain chemistry. Why am I asking? Well young people are bombarded with this advice ..................drink sensibly drink responsibly etc etc. My question is this. Drink sensibly and what?? Can anyone here relate to that type of flash attack alcoholism or did u all just slide into it after years of heavy drinking.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I never drank sensibly, from the age of 14 I was off to the races as soon as the bottle or can was opened.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-drinking.html (Great advice for moderating your drinking)

This is a really good post on drinking in moderation

I hope you find it a good read like I did.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it would have.

But I think I am in a minority here.

And I think it's pointless to even consider this question.

But since you asked--many times I was fine just having 1 drink, sometimes 2. But when I started using alcohol as a coping mechanism, that's where things turned sour for me. That being said, I still don't know if it was normal or not that with my first drink ever at age 12, I felt something absolutely magical. I was calm and relaxed, confident, happy. Do normies experience that?

I do not believe real alcoholics can ever drink moderately safely. And why even take the chance? It's not worth it. Just my opinion.

I don't know, sometimes I wonder if I am a real alcoholic or just someone who was having a nervous breakdown or something and turned to alcohol as a coping mechanism and I got obsessive-compulsive with it. I don't know. I've got more soul searching to do.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never drank sensibly - all those years of wishing I could be a normal drinker and I had no idea of what that really meant.

My life is so much improved by not drinking or drugging I wouldn't do it again even if I could sammy

D
Old 10-24-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nope.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think alcohol has any beneficial therapeutic effect whatsoever.

I think that it has some social benefit for people who don't drink much of it (I was never one of them, of course).

I don't think that any competent mental health professionals actually recommend or prescribe it for any conditions.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I guess I don't really understand the question. I never wanted to drink sensibly. I don't actually like the taste of alcohol. I drank intentionally to get drunk from my very first drink. When I smell alcohol, I don't crave the taste, I remember the feeling it gave me and crave that. Other people I know drank socially for years and slowly slipped into alcoholism. I suppose it is different for everyone, but the bottom line is that I can't drink sensibly. It doesn't really matter why or how I got to that place.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know now that I was drinking like an alcoholic from the beginning of my first time getting drunk. Whether or not that was from my living with depression and anxiety for years up to it (at age 14), I had found my solution, and moderation was not possible for me from then forward as a possibility. The aim was to drink to get drunk if I could. The switch was "on" regardless of whether or not it was psychological or physical or both. Today, forty years later, I'm still mentally wired to drink unlike others can, despite medications that help me navigate my anxiety and depression quite well.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It’s very difficult for me to answer that question. I’m in my early 50’s. I had my first drink at 17. I was like other teenagers and binge drank on weekends. I worked hard and partied hard in college - like others. I didn’t see myself as any different from anyone else. There were the “normal” binge drinkers and there were the “total alcoholic” drop outs. Then there were those who didn’t drink at all and that was just weird and uncool.

I thought I took a break from heavy drinking around the time I met my husband at 24. But, no I actually didn’t. I was drinking in secret. I’d stop by a liquor store on the way home from the bus and buy a large beer or a bottle of wine. I always thought it was ok since it was only wine and beer.

When my husband and I moved in together, we drank wine a few nights a week and binged on the weekends. I was successful in my job, though, and after all the Europeans drink every night, so I thought I wasn’t any different.

When my son was born, my life turned upside down. I though I was still drinking to unwind at the end of a long day. But it was never enough. My friends would say, you are stressed, so have a glass of wine. So I would, then the buzz would wear off and I was still stressed, so I needed another glass, and another, etc. I was stressed 100% of the time for years.

I can’t be absolutely sure of my answer since I don’t know if I would have continued drinking sensibly had my son not been born with special challenges. But I don’t think I would have because I never really did in the first place (even though I thought back then that I was fine). I also have anxiety and this as well as alcoholism runs in my family. I think I’ve answered the question now. Nope.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had the exact same experience and this is the first time I have heard of someone else experiencing the same. I was a conservative drinker until due to circumstances in my life I fell into and inky, black depression. I suddenly began drinking insanely to try and get my feelings back. Just like you I almost new the exact moment I became a full blown alcoholic. I was lying in bed full of whiskey and I felt this strange "brain swell". After that I never once again experienced the easy, delightful relief that alcohol brought me although I continued to drink out of control for years after, at the horrible costs that that type of drinking brings.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never had a sensible drinking period, personally. I wa s always out making an ass out of myself. Most people I've met in recovery were in the same boat.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In all fairness, I think I probably drank somewhat sensibly back in junior high school or so.

But it didn't last long.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Drink sensibly -- lol. From my first drink I was an alcoholic.......once I put a drink in my mouth I could not stop. For an alcoholic "drinking sensibly" isn't a choice.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sammymaguire View Post
Can anyone here relate to that type of flash attack alcoholism or did u all just slide into it after years of heavy drinking.
I'm not sure, but I have wondered how it happened to me. I think it was a slow slide. My earliest experience with alcohol, was to drink fast and get blotto. Then I settled into a more sensible pattern, only drinking on weekends. My drinking was under control for several years, but then, ever so slowly increased toward a daily, although not drunken daily pattern, and from there, it got progressively worse, the last 5 years of my drinking was around a quart of whisky daily. I started embarrassing myself, showing up drunk in stores. I fell down in my house, and just laid on the floor fully aware that I was becoming a pathetic loser. No one saw that. I cried one time just out of the blue, realizing that my life was turning to sh*t. No one was there to see that either. I got a DUI, was sent to drunk school, and was under house arrest. Had my name in the paper, and everyone in my small town knew about it. That was my bottom, I worked for 8 months on finding a way to control my drinking, but failed every time until I quit drinking altogether. Things turned around quite fast from that point on.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefix.com/content/remembering-audrey-kishline%3famp

This artlice is about the woman who founded Moderation Management, to cut back on drinking as opposed to stopping altogether. She later killed someone (maybe more than one person) in a DUI and entirely changed her stance. It's an interesting read.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaceyDallas View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...kishline%3famp

This artlice is about the woman who founded Moderation Management, to cut back on drinking as opposed to stopping altogether. She later killed someone (maybe more than one person) in a DUI and entirely changed her stance. It's an interesting read.
Ouch! I'm not fond of moderation management for alcoholics. Maybe it works for some, but it doesn't sound like a good alternative given my personal experience.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah. I just found it really ironic. I saw her on a TV show years ago. She went into a rehab and was advocating for complete sobriety. I think she's since passed away.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I fight a losing battle with this but I'll say it again...

I wish people would using that poor woman as an exemplar. There but for fortune, goes any of us.

As Lacey said, she was back in AA and and committed to the idea of abstinence, while also battling it, when she died.

If her life must be reduced a cautionary tale, it's to illustrate the relentlessness of alcoholism, not the folly of moderation.

We each have our own stories about the latter, surely?

D
Old 11-18-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I drank to get hammered from the very start. The change from when I was 14 till I quit at 42 was how much alcohol it took to get the effect I wanted.

If I drank sensibly from the start perhaps I wouldn't have become an alcoholic, but I was never interested in "sensible" - I wanted senseless. And senseless is exactly what I got.