Notices

Rapid cycle bipolar

Old 10-25-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rapid cycle bipolar

My daughter has been sober for over 90 days. (Meth). She has been diagnosed with bipolar and schizoaffective or schizophrenia depending on the doctor of the week.
My question is her rapid cycle of emotional change Two weeks horrible depression and anxiety. Then a few days of happiness heading towards manic then back to depression .
Is this a bipolar thing or eft over meth brain . I fear this rapid cycling will lead her back to drugs.
Any one who has dealt with the mental health system knows how frustrating it is to get an appointment with the doctor. She has an appointment in 5 days,I hope she hangs on to sobriety that long.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ninety days sober is a great achievement, but I think you need to speak with the psychiatrist to get a good answer about whether or not the meth has affected her physically in a way that may (long-term) influence her mental health and behaviors following abstinence. Five days is not that long away, but it can also feel like forever to her and to you. Are you on a wait-list for cancelled appointments? In the meantime perhaps the best you can do is to keep her as safe as possible and away from people and places that are associated to drug use. If you notice disturbing behavior you can always call and ask for an urgent/emergency visit.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

It is very difficult to tell about issues and cause even sometimes 90 days after stopping. When a person exhibits "human" characteristics to extremes at times they are often given a "diagnosis". The reality is that this is just a starting point to plan treatment. One thing that needs to be burned into your daughter's head is that self-medication will make things exponentially worse and more difficult to properly diagnose and treat any underlying issue.

All this being said, I will echo that 90 days is a great achievement. I hope that your daughter is also reaching out to someone for help along the way. It sounds, though like she has done something right to get 90 days. Being worried is natural, but remember to tend to your needs also.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ugh, insurance denied her meds. So now we wait again for either a med change or hopefully the doctors office can straighten this out.
Why is it just when you think you are starting to get a handle on things a wrench gets thrown in the mix. If its not the addict themselves, its the system.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Was it a name brand, or just meds in general?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was a dose change .Insurance paid for the lower dose but is denying the increase now we cant get any. Stuck in limbo
Old 11-01-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Walkedon View Post
It was a dose change .Insurance paid for the lower dose but is denying the increase now we cant get any. Stuck in limbo
Has your daughter's physician written an appeal to the insurance company? Sometimes these things just kick out as a "rule", but it may be possible with a written explanation for the increase to have it approved. Insurance companies can be hard to deal with, for sure.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Working on the pre approval now.Its frustrating when you get something that works. Probably just have to change how the dose is given, which if any one could communicate with each could have been solved the first day.I am not blaming any one its the whole system.
Today we found out that her drug and alcohol cousenling is done on two weeks due to insurance.
She is fine with that because she doesn't like to go.