Notices

When to take anti depressants?

Old 07-31-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When to take anti depressants?

I've recently been through a traumatic incident, being around a friend(sonetimes more than friends)who went through cocaine psychosis for 3 days, only for him to then enter rehab(he's doing well), but since coming out has distanced himself from me and others. Long story short, I cannot get over the loss of the friendship and keep analysing it, questioning what and why it happened, and I'm just miserable. I exercise a lot walk and run, cut right back on alcohol to mind myself and see a therapist. None of it is helping really. Its been 9 weeks since the incident. I'm wondering do I need to start taking anti depressants to help? Everyday is the same, isolating myself, constantly ruminating, pessimistic and not being able to see a positive future without him. I feel I need something to help me cope. Has anyone else gained benefits from taking antidepressants to get them through these type of events, or will I just give it more time.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

idk if anti depressants would help.
what has the therapist suggest ya do?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
idk if anti depressants would help.
what has the therapist suggest ya do?
He doesn't put much store in them. I'm prone to depression and just wonder if this incident had triggered it again. I'm hating everything, especially the beautiful weather lately ( I normally love summer).
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You might want to consider abstaining completely from alcohol first .I stopped drinking 102 days ago and my anxiety/depression levels dropped significantly.
Your friends behavior is quite normal. It takes time for brain chemistry to rebalance.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
He doesn't put much store in them..
ok, and what has he suggested you DO to get through this?
other than taking an AD?
your therapist should be the one to tell you if this has brought the depression back on.
we cant do that.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by apollo986 View Post
You might want to consider abstaining completely from alcohol first .I stopped drinking 102 days ago and my anxiety/depression levels dropped significantly.
Your friends behavior is quite normal. It takes time for brain chemistry to rebalance.
I agree, I will stop the alcohol completely, I can take it or leave it luckily. Only drink once night a month but abstinence would help. When you say my friends behaviour is quite normal, how do you mean?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
ok, and what has he suggested you DO to get through this?
other than taking an AD?
your therapist should be the one to tell you if this has brought the depression back on.
we cant do that.
Well he's actually in hospital at moment after a lung operation so I've been without him last couple weeks. He should be the one but I'd still like to hear from people and their thoughts.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anti depressants are useful to treat clinical/severe depression. You might recover from this with nothing more than time. See how it goes before you decide what you need to do.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

alcohol is a depressant.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glenjo, I distanced myself from family and friends as well during first couple of months. I didn't want them to see me so miserable and out of sorts. For me, the solitude was, and still is, a refuge. I'm much better now and I've begun to engage again with society.

Be patient and go easy on yourself. It does get better!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hate to say it,but you are WAYYYYY more emotionally invested in this 'relationship' than he's ever been. You are now seeing the real him and his real felings towards you. Anti-depresents,as far as my prior use, don't do jack for heartbreak. Just like drinking,you may not care as much while on them,but when you come off of them; There you and all your crap still is. Best to just get moving on in a healthy fashion and let it hurt for a while. That's my $.02 at least.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you talked to a shrink? They have the real experience in determining if someone is in a depression or just feeling down.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Hate to say it,but you are WAYYYYY more emotionally invested in this 'relationship' than he's ever been. You are now seeing the real him and his real felings towards you. Anti-depresents,as far as my prior use, don't do jack for heartbreak. Just like drinking,you may not care as much while on them,but when you come off of them; There you and all your crap still is. Best to just get moving on in a healthy fashion and let it hurt for a while. That's my $.02 at least.
Yeh looks like it. The irony is for the last few months before this happened he was the one who was heavily invested, maybe that was all a lie.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by apollo986 View Post
Glenjo, I distanced myself from family and friends as well during first couple of months. I didn't want them to see me so miserable and out of sorts. For me, the solitude was, and still is, a refuge. I'm much better now and I've begun to engage again with society.

Be patient and go easy on yourself. It does get better!
Thanks appreciate that.