Old 06-12-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Hiw do you find a good counselor?

I think it may be time to go down that road for help
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was lucky to be assigned to my addiction counselor at our local substance abuse agency. They had sent me to detox but I had to see a counselor when I got out.

Do you have a local agency that deals with substance abuse? That would be a good place to start.

My counselor had been an addict herself so she knew what she was talking about.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

If your still interested in using Addictive Voice Recognition Technique, it is important to inform your counselor that you have recovered using personal responsibility and are now permenently abstinent and that you are using a simple dissociative technique to identify the residual desire to drink and that makes keeping your pledge to never drink again a lot easier.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I used a Wellness Center, I was comfortable and happy with the way they prescribed meds, I felt they cared and weren't just out to take my money. That was after trying two psychiatrists I wasn't too thrilled with. If you don't feel they have you in their best interest, find another one.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of. Getting some schmuck who is just in it to line his pockets.

I will look into agency referrals. That’s a good idea I hadn’t thought of!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can give your insurance company a call or go to their website. They can give you a list of available therapists in your area.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
You can give your insurance company a call or go to their website. They can give you a list of available therapists in your area.
Yes but still have to screen them all. I’d prefer to find a few with this specialty who is good and see if s/he is covered
Old 06-15-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Unfortunately it has been my experience that it is a large degree of trial and error. Your first appointment is a good time to feel each other out, discuss what you are looking to achieve and how they plan to help you get there. If you feel reasonably comfortable, schedule another appointment. If after a few appointments you do not feel you are progressing where you want to, it may be time to try someone else. You shouldn't worry that you will hurt your therapist's feelings, if they are professional, their primary concern should be finding someone who is a good fit.

The problem I ran into was I would try someone a few times, it wasn't progressing, so I just wrote off the whole therapy thing all together. It also took an attitude adjustment on my part. A therapist will not "fix" you like perhaps a doctor will. All they can do is try to guide you to fix yourself. You have to do 90% of the work. The best thing you can do is come up with some clear and reasonable expectations of what you hope to accomplish and go from there.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Take care.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I got a referral from my individual counselor at outpatient rehab.