Notices

Anxiety over taking my sertraline

Old 05-30-2018, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety over taking my sertraline

Doctor put me on 100mg of sertraline yesterday for depression and anxiety.

But, the anxious me decided to read the entire leaflet and then Google side effects and reviews. I am now scared stiff to take them. People are saying it knocked them about for a few weeks. I've read that 100mg is too high for a starting dose.

So scared, but I know I need to take them. Could do with a bit of encouragement.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

16years if your anxiety over taking the medication means you might not take them at all I would suggest going back to your GP to talk about it.
All medication has side effects and we can't give medical advice here so perhaps the best thing is to speak to the professional who prescribed them.
Also I would avoid Dr Google like the plague. You simply can't second guess your health via the internet. For someone with anxiety it's just totally counterproductive.
Support to you friend I know things are rough right now but have faith in the professionals and if you are worried sick go back. That's what they're there for.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
16years if your anxiety over taking the medication means you might not take them at all I would suggest going back to your GP to talk about it.
All medication has side effects and we can't give medical advice here so perhaps the best thing is to speak to the professional who prescribed them.
Also I would avoid Dr Google like the plague. You simply can't second guess your health via the internet. For someone with anxiety it's just totally counterproductive.
Support to you friend I know things are rough right now but have faith in the professionals and if you are worried sick go back. That's what they're there for.
Thank you Joan. I will give him a call this morning and express my worries.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good I'm glad xx
Old 05-30-2018, 01:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok, no more worry. Doctor said to chop it in half and start on 50 if I'm worried. So did that. No more worry. Phew.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There you go! Great news and I hope they take the edge off your symptoms soon 16years xx
Old 05-30-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

#1 rule for pretty much everyone is never use Dr. Google.
I also have anxiety issues and taking new medications was a bad one for me as well as I was always paranoid something bad was going to happen. I've had quite a few docs/psychiatrists tell me to just throw out the info papers they come with and not read them.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

I am bipolar with anxiety disorders to boot but a few years before I was properly diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I was on Sertraline (Zoloft) for about 4-5 months for depression. I actually liked it a lot. It seemed to have no side affects for me and did help my mood. I was on Celexa for a few years but it made me very tired and moody (sometimes manic). I tried few other SSRI's and ended up on Zoloft for a bit.

Though I was unaware that it was happening at the time, Sertraline sent me into an intense hypomanic state for nearly a month. I knew I was experiencing something out of the ordinary, but I didn't know what the term hypomanic meant back then or to even consider it as a possibility for me. It was actually an amazing feeling for most of it that I can best describe as unbelievable happiness better than any illegal drug I have ever had. I was so happy, lots of energy, super positive outlook on life, etc. I thought I had found the greatest medication in the universe. It didn't last, of course, and I came crashing down a month later.

That was just my experience with Sertraline. It did make me hypomanic but if I weren't bipolar I would probably still be on it. SSRI's in general are not good for me. They seem to add to my bipolar fire, if you will. From what I know, Sertraline does seem very safe with few side effects.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you went back to the Doc 16

D
Old 05-30-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on sertraline for years. So long that I don't remember what side effects I had when starting it. I started at 50 mg and went up to 100, then 200. I get relief from my depression with it.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sertraline is often mentioned as a 'better' ssri than others.

50mg - 200mg is the range.

I am on 150 currently and seeing how that goes for 4 weeks. Have also had propranalol and buspirone in the mix and found neither effective.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The best advice i can give someone who is starting meds is to listen to, and communicate with, your doctor and to be patient.

Trying to arrive at the optimal medication(s) and dosage(s) is a matter of trial and error.

With meds, you seem to get the side effects immediately and the therapeutic benefits (if, indeed, the med(s) work as desired) after several weeks.

But once you arrive at where you need to be from a meds standpoint, they can really make life a lot better.

Keep us posted with your progress.

We're here for you.