Notices

What helps you get out of a funk?

Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What helps you get out of a funk?

I think I need to keep a list of things that can help me get out of a funk. What helps you?
Old 05-18-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a lot of little solitary activities that I enjoy, but they all hinge on one very important first step: I accept that I am in a funk. I don't fight it, I don't pretend it isn't happening, and I don't blame myself for it. And although it doesn't always help, I always remind myself that I've been there before, everything turned out okay, and it was temporary.

Once that's done, I decide how to handle my schedule for the next few days. Sometimes being around others helps, sometimes being alone is best, it depends on where I am at in my life. I prioritize where my energy is going to go for awhile even as I accept I might not have as much of it as I want.

I am naturally introverted, so I usually err on the side of isolating, because that is how I refill my well. But sometimes I am having a stretch where making the effort to see and hang out with people doesn't feel as challenging, so if that's where I am at, I will for sure make plans to meet someone for coffee or whatever--and then I usually spend that whole meeting listening and asking about them. Helps lift the attention from my funk.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I follow the road of a positive purposeful life.

What helps me is the awareness that life is an inside job, in other words, if I lose my money, I haven’t lost myself, I’m not my money, money is an outside thing, I’m in the inside, that some call a soul.

Next, I nurture myself through exercise and diet, no processed food.

I do life’s footwork and I stay out of the results of my footwork, by accepting the results. My serenity is directly proportional to my level of acceptance.

For good self-esteem, I do estimable things.

I’m of service to others, as I’m attempting to be of service to you.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I try to push myself to get outside and walk. Moving, walking, being outside almost always helps me. If I can't get outside, I have a playlist that I've made up of songs that bring me happy memories.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Petting my cats and dogs always makes me feel better. Also a good dog walk helps me feel better.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sunshine, fresh air, walking, bicycling, meetings, fellowship, fishing, camping, and mostly, being of service to others because nothing gets me out of a funk faster than working with someone else rather than focusing on myself.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Increasing the number of meetings I attend always pulls me out of a funk as does offering help to other alcoholics.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

I am not good at multi-tasking. When I turn my attention to gratitude, I find it impossible to be ungrateful at the same time. As a result of turning to gratitude, funkiness dissipates and the whole world opens up to display it's splendor and the amazing possibilities available to me. Keeping it simple, protects me from my head.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by nez View Post
I am not good at multi-tasking. When I turn my attention to gratitude, I find it impossible to be ungrateful at the same time. As a result of turning to gratitude, funkiness dissipates and the whole world opens up to display it's splendor and the amazing possibilities available to me. Keeping it simple, protects me from my head.

Wow! That is so powerful and so well put. Thank you so much for sharing this wisdom with us.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

getting out of the apartment and spending time in positive environments.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love what SparkleKitty and LoveDogNYC said, especially.

Along with what they said, my go-tos are reaching out to a sober friend or one of my ride or dies who isn't necessarily an alcoholic, a fat old NAP, hot yoga, an extra meeting, cooking my husband dinner and then watching some TV, writing someone a thank you or just because note (I do that once a month), filling my Amazon cart with things I may or may not buy....

The acceptance thing is indeed the biggie- then I can take the space to get through what's bothering me, even if it's just...being.

Great topic.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have to do something active, it's the only way to shut my brain off from negative to positive. I'll take an hour walk, and as I walk, I gradually feel my spirits lift. I feel rational, and can accept things better. Those feelings don't last forever, the grey cloud eventually comes back, but then I walk again. When my funk is so debilitating it effects all aspects of my life, the only thing I can do is get rid of it to be successful. Getting out and moving is the best thing for me (especially if the sun is out).
Old 05-24-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Exercise. My dogs. Spending time with other fun people. Distraction. Reading a good book. Binge watching Netflix (said with shame b/c I am sure that's not a good one, but true). Cleaning. Yard Work. Journaling. Scrabble.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Stay busy, help others, get out of your head. Those three things always work for me.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle1944 View Post
I follow the road of a positive purposeful life.

What helps me is the awareness that life is an inside job, in other words, if I lose my money, I haven’t lost myself, I’m not my money, money is an outside thing, I’m in the inside, that some call a soul.

Next, I nurture myself through exercise and diet, no processed food.

I do life’s footwork and I stay out of the results of my footwork, by accepting the results. My serenity is directly proportional to my level of acceptance.

For good self-esteem, I do estimable things.

I’m of service to others, as I’m attempting to be of service to you.
You just set forth a staggering amount of wisdom in just a few short paragraphs.

I agree that, if I want to feel good, I do good things.

I call a sponsee or someone else in the program.

I try to be of service in my job (BTW, I love my job and my career - so much that it's not like work (usually) to me, but instead a joy).

I try to be a great husband.

I thank God for the gift of my sobriety.

I take care of my body, my mind and my soul.

I try to work the St. Francis prayer.

I also like your comments about money.

To paraphrase Jerry Jeff Walker, whose music I have savored for 45 years, "I makes money, money don't make me".

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

God