Notices

Alcoholism and addictive meds

Old 04-28-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and addictive meds

Hi everyone,
I apologize if this isn’t in the right place. Also I know this topic has come up before but I would like some input.

I am currently 8 months since my last drink. However I have taken prescribed benzodiazepines in this time. I have taken them at doses lower than prescribed, there has been no abuse. I was also honest with the dr about my past drinking. I am getting off of them now and would like to take them off the table. I want to learn to manage my anxiety without them.

I guess my question is, have I been sober? I am scared if I change my sobriety date then it’s going to make me want to drink. But I also know some people would not consider that sober. It’s been messing with my head a little. I have OCD as well so I can obsess over things needlessly. I am in aa and have spoken to my sponsor. She says I determine what sober is...but I guess I’d like outside perspective.

Thank you
Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also take a benzo as needed for my pretty severe anxiety and I don't consider it, or any medically necessary medication to be in any way affecting an alcohol quit date.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months of sobriety. I too have suffered from anxiety and depression for a long time. Benzo withdrawl is extremely difficult. The sooner you ween yourself off the better. There are more effective ways to deal with anxiety such as deep breathing, meditation and exercise.

Your doing great!
Old 04-28-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies! I am surely overthinking as per usual.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icoi87 View Post
She says I determine what sober is...but I guess I’d like outside perspective.

Thank you
Listen to your sponsor.

A doctor prescribed the meds, you took as directed or less, and you've made the decision to get off of them. Those are facts.

I was prescribed a short-term (2 weeks) supply of a very low dose benzo after I lost my father last year. I had lost my mother less than 3 months before that.

I did not lose my sobriety. That's my personal experience.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

It sounds like you have a good sponsor!!

I would add though that there are many different opinions about this in AA, so you may not want to share about this. I think you got the right answer already!!

Sounds like you are doing great!! Take care
Old 05-18-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bill Wilson took acid it's not about medication or drugs it's about liquid alcohol.