Notices

PAWS/Panic/Gaba imbalance 11 months sober

Old 01-07-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS/Panic/Gaba imbalance 11 months sober

I was a chronic binge drinker for quite some time. I would go days with nothing and then slam alcohol like it was my job for a few days. I took a work trip to Vegas in February last year and went on quite the binge. I passed out and woke up a few hours later in severe panic, completely disoriented, cognitive difficulties, etc... It took me a few days to feel back to normal. It was a really terrifying time and I didn't quite know what was happening. A few days later I tried a drink and almost instantly, it made me feel the same way. Almost immediate panic, disoriented, dizzy, etc...I became sober that day and I haven't looked back.

Throughout the past 11 months, I've had lots of ups and downs. Periods of feeling almost back to normal. Times of feeling fatigued, having dizzy spells. I should note that during this time I sadly also got similar feelings in response to coffee, but not as bad. I've felt feelings of adrenaline rushes, sweaty hands, in response to things that never gave me these feelings before. I'm also extremely sensitive to supplements. One doctor tried to put me on setraline (SSRI), but just one pill made me feel drastically worse. I'm just so confused as to why I'm still having these issues that almost seem to have gotten worse, not better over time. I've been to several doctors, had every test under the sun and I'm in tip top shape. All my labs, blood work, look great, but I'm feeling worse than before.

I think my sudden withdrawal may have affected my glutamate/gaba balance and my mind just can't find homeostasis. I'm reluctant to get on any other pills because I don't want to replace one addition with another and have a further issue with withdrawal in the future.

Has anyone gone through this before that can offer me a bit of advice? I really feel I've done some irreversible damage and I'm just so sick of not feeling like myself anymore.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would start to see a therapist, many of us have mental health issues (myself included). All too often we start abusing alcohol as a way to cope, but in the end all it does is make things a million times worse.
Therapy along with medications can help tremendously with your issues.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I would start to see a therapist, many of us have mental health issues (myself included). All too often we start abusing alcohol as a way to cope, but in the end all it does is make things a million times worse.
Therapy along with medications can help tremendously with your issues.
I have yet to talk to a therapist, but am not ruling this out in the future. I have no prior anxiety issues and when I'm not having a "reaction" to something, I'm always an extremely calm person. This feels so much more physiological than psychological. I will admit that I am extremely sensitive to new/different things going on with my body, and since this has happened, have likely developed a degree of health anxiety. thankful for this situation, because it's given me all the reason in the world to remain sober, but I wouldn't wish these feelings on anyone.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

If you want to try and treat your anxiety with medication, you need to see a psychiatrist, preferably one that specializes in addiction, and not just your GP.

Sertraline (Zoloft) is an SSRI antidepressant. None of this class of drugs works immediately, and most people need time to adjust to them. So your reaction after one pill is not indicative of your response to the medication over time.

Talk to a doctor that has experiences in psychiatric medications. They might be able to find something that works at least in the short term.

Also, I wouldn't worry about "exchanging one addiction for another" regarding most psychiatric medications, other than benzodiazepines. Nobody ever robbed a liquor store to get more sertraline.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with MM. With bad anxiety, we often times get very paranoid of medication. It can take weeks, and up to a month for SSRI's to kick in. I'm also on sertraline and it's worked very well for me.
Don't give up after one dose. Stay with your meds, and see a therapist.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm curious... I too was a chronic binge drinker. Are cognitive situations an issue for you too? They are for me and it's driving me nuts.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by hoski0999 View Post
I'm curious... I too was a chronic binge drinker. Are cognitive situations an issue for you too? They are for me and it's driving me nuts.
They were when I was drinking and using sleeping pills. They gradually faded for about 90 days, and my cognition is nearly back to where it was during my last long period of sobriety.

Give it time.

Certain psych meds can affect cognition as well. Ask your doctor about meds and any underlying medical condition you might have.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
If you want to try and treat your anxiety with medication, you need to see a psychiatrist, preferably one that specializes in addiction, and not just your GP.

Sertraline (Zoloft) is an SSRI antidepressant. None of this class of drugs works immediately, and most people need time to adjust to them. So your reaction after one pill is not indicative of your response to the medication over time.

Talk to a doctor that has experiences in psychiatric medications. They might be able to find something that works at least in the short term.

Also, I wouldn't worry about "exchanging one addiction for another" regarding most psychiatric medications, other than benzodiazepines. Nobody ever robbed a liquor store to get more sertraline.
Very well put.

I suffered (needlessly) for 11 years after I got sober because I was afraid that anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds could jeopardize my sobriety.

A good fear, no doubt, but one which cost me a lot of peace of mind for a good long time.

I finally got help for my chemical imbalance through a psychiatrist and that help includes SSRI's and Gabapentin.

The meds have successfully treated my depression and my anxiety.

For a physiological problem, I would start with a psychiatrist.

If he or she believes the patient needs therapy, they will point the patient in the direction of help.

This is an important topic - thanks to the OP.