Notices

Seroquel? is 600 mg per day too much??

Old 10-29-2004, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seroquel? is 600 mg per day too much??

I don't know much about the drug Seroquel. My daughter is on 600mg per day.
Is this excessive? She just got off methadone and is doing well, but is really jumpy and cannot sleep. She takes seroquel, prozac and lithium for her bi polar disorder. She seems to be doing well but she is questioning the dose of Seroquel. Does anyone know anything about this med? She seems to think this may be causing her jitteryness...although I am thinking she is still withdrawing from Methadone.
Thank you
Wolfstarr
Old 10-29-2004, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Here is a link maybe you can find what you are looking for http://www.seroquel.com/cons_sch/index.asp
Old 10-29-2004, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

I was on Seroquel for three months.
It's an anti psychotic, mood stabilizer drug, as it was explained to me.
If I remember correctly, 800 mgs a day was the maximum daily dose indicated by the manufacturer.
I have friends with severe conditions who are prescribed more than 800 mgs, also in combination with lithium and anti depressants.
Talk to the doctor who prescribed it.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you (((Splendra))) and (((Dan)))
I appreciate the site, Splendra, it was so helpful and Dan thanks for your
input...you guys are so great!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The seroquel is definetely not making her jumpy and jittery. 600 mg's of seroquel would make me want to crawl up in my bed and shut my eyes until next tuesday. Everyone else I know feels the same way.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I agree with Lukey. I've been on 100 mg of Seroquel for about 3 months now. I'm suppose to take it every night, but because of my crazy work schedule (and my mood/energy levels) I sometimes don't get to sleep a full 8 or more hours.

If I knew I would only get to sleep a few hours, I would not take my Seroquel b/c it would put me to sleep so hard that I could barely get up and out of bed.

I just told my med doc this on Wednesday and he kinda got mad at me for not taking it every night.

I also have been craving sugar and chocolate like crazy!. 60 - 70 % of my diet has been consisting of sugar!

My doc now has me switching to Ambilify when my Seroquel runs out.

I would guess that your daughter is jittery b/c of withdraw symptoms and from all the anxiety of not having that crutch anymore and having to work so hard to stay sober when all her body is doing is telling her to get high.

It's got to be rough for her.

Hugs and God Bless
Old 01-21-2005, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

What is Seraquel really for anyway?

Initially I thought it was for my slight paranoia (I think people are always talking bad about me behind my back), but I keep reading all these things that it's for schizophrenia?

Is paranoia a condition of schizophrenia?

Wolfstar - I'm sorry to be asking these questions in your thread, but since you said you didn't know anything about Seraquel...I thought this may help you also (If anyone out there knows, that is).
Old 01-23-2005, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((shutterbug))))
No problem dear heart, asking about seroquel that is...Isn't it an anti-psychotic? I think it can also be used for schizophrenia like Zyprexa and Risperdal? Not really sure on that? Also not sure on the question of paranoia being a condition of schizophrenia--although an educated guess would be yes? Please can anyone tell us?

Thanks for your input on the Seroquel and how it makes you feel.
Since I have originally posted this thread in October, my daughter is MUCH better and falls into the same side effects as you and Lukey--sleeps a lot and craves sweets.

I feel it was the jitters from the withdrawal of the methadone, too.

Daughter is doing very well! Thanks for your interest and concern...
much appreciated and Hugs!! to you,
Wolf
Old 01-24-2005, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Wolfstarr
Please can anyone tell us?
Did I get a page? teehee. Seroquel is an psychotic, also known as a neuroleptic. It's originally intended for use in schizophrenia, but is commonly used in mood disorders as a stabilizer as well. Paranoia is common in schizophrenia, but can also appear in mood disorders. shutterbug, you're bipolar, right? The Seroquel should help with the sort of manic paranoia you may have experienced. Does this help? I hope so.
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-29-2005, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks (((eddie)))) for letting us pick your brain!!!
So good to have a source of info right here on SR!

Hugs to you, my favorite online pharmacist---
Wolfstarr

(I started my medical career as a pharmacy tech--so I know you farmers!)
Old 01-29-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, Wolf!
Love and hugs,
eddie
Old 03-08-2005, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
scarecrow

Seroquel and respirdal have almost killed me, couldn't breathe, mind almost went on me, heart beated faster than ever, had to go to the hospital, etc. I'd rather take hard street drugs. I'm on zyprexa and those are harmless for me even when I used to pop them a few at a time. I'd say in my opinion that the seroquel is the offender of those symptoms and I'd say it's a travesty when people get killed by meds because they're pressured to take deadly drugs at outrageous doses. It's really really easy to go off of, but it's good to get a better one soon after discontinuing it. I'd say never use risperdal or seroquel, that's why zyprexa is newer and better and they're bringing out new ones soon. Just my experience and opinion, I've done lots of drugs and the worst times ive had are from those two prescribed meds, a hangover or a crash isn't anything compared to not being able to breathe much or properly for a few hours (respirdal did that to me twice, no 3 times). These things kill people regularly so you've got to be ready to go to the hospital and stuff when you're taking...If there's any bad symptoms believe me it's the seroquel, maybe the other ones are bad too...I don't know. hope that helps

Old 03-11-2005, 10:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Seroquel

Originally Posted by Wolfstarr
Is this excessive? She just got off methadone and is doing well, but is really jumpy and cannot sleep. She takes seroquel, prozac and lithium for her bi polar disorder. She seems to be doing well but she is questioning the dose of Seroquel. Does anyone know anything about this med? She seems to think this may be causing her jitteryness...although I am thinking she is still withdrawing from Methadone.
Thank you
Wolfstarr
I am on 700 mgs of Seroquel a day along with 60 mgs Methadone. No problems.

Ernie
Old 03-12-2005, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Seroquel

I have a 12 year old son with bipolar and he takes 300 mg of Seroquel a day along with 1000 mg of Depakote ER. His doctor said we can go up to 600 mg a day if he needs it, so I would think that if 600 mg is ok for a child, it should be ok for your daughter.

My son used to be on Prozac, (horrible reaction - caused rages and mania), and Abilify, (severe weight gain and mania). Since switching to Seroquel he has improved tenfold. He's finally able to sleep at night and his raging has quieted significantly. I know that drugs affect people differently, but with my child, Seroquel has been a lifesaver and we've seen no side effects.

Good luck with your daughter!
Old 03-12-2005, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses!

SHe is doing much better now and Doc has decreased her Seroquel to 100 mg per day. SHe is completely weaned off of Methadone and, just about 4 weeks ago, had a slip. (Had three beers, not d.o.c.) SHe has been clean since then.
Her doc upped her Prozac to 40mg qd and wanted to up it again to 60, but AD wanted to get used to the 40, first. She is hesitant to up the prozac another 20.

I have heard of wonderous things about zyprexa. Also, I heard there is another new med out there that has zyprexa and prozac combined ( since they are both made by Lilly) anyone know the name of it? ((((eddie??))))

scarecrow, keyhole and karana6, thanks so much for your input...best wishes to you all.
Peace and Hugs,
Wolf
Old 04-04-2005, 05:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Symbyax, I think. I'm glad she is doing better. She'll need to watch her weight with the Zyprexa! Best wishes always!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 04-04-2005, 06:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Seroquel is an anti-psychotic medication used a lot in schizophrenia-my brother was on 1000 mgs a day. I am biPolar and am on it for paranoia. I only take a baby dose; a 100 mgs a day but I have side effects from it and I am always moving my feet, licking my lips...it is called Tardive Dyskanasia....it can last after the drug has been removed from the system. 600 mgs. is a pretty normal dose right now, I think if your daughter has other issues. I, personally am trying to get off of it and I am taking Neurontin instead....I am weaning myself off the seoquel, with my Dr's advice, of course. Even though I am in the medical feild, I know that the drug over a long period of time can have side effects that are bothersome. I wish your daughter good health and PEACE....Kahlia
Old 04-14-2005, 03:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Seroquel

Yes it is, paranoia is a symptom in schizophrenia. That's why they call someone a paranoid schizophrenic I believe.

Also I was on seroquel 700mg a day and that was fine for a short while. I built it up in my system. I was able to adjust so that I could live my everyday life but once you start missing taking it and lose that tolerance...
It becomes difficult to take it in the recommended doses, you shake and because you shake you can't sleep, you feel cloudy, a little spacey.

Hope this helps

Last edited by wonderboy75; 04-14-2005 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Something to add
Old 09-30-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Quote-Wofstarr,359883

Originally Posted by Wolfstarr View Post
Thank you
Wolfstarr
I have been on seraquel 600 mg for two years and was on methadodone for 9.
600 is a high dose but it is more of a relaxant and aid to help people sleep also although they are on a lower dose.
She's still withdrawing from methodone which can take a very long time and mentally can take up to 12 months but don't underestimate the dangers of seraquel and make sure she has her kidneys checked regularly ,I just got out of hospital from lithium toxication which caused renal failure ,I was on 1000 mg daily and having blood tests for 2 years but was not having blood tests regular enough .if she's on any medications for mental Heath find out everything you can psychiatrists wont tell you much only that it's a very good drug so look up everything.
I nearly died through lack of finding out all I could.
I was not well for a few months and put it down to something else,shaking of the hands ,neck vomiting for no reason ,lack of appetite until it was to late and spent 5 days in ICU and a few in general ward now I have a badly damaged kidney and liver.
I can't stress enough that ANY psych medication please look it up and make her aware and keep an eye out.
Good luck.