Notices

How to help my brother with depression?

Old 09-29-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to help my brother with depression?

Hello SR! I am a regular over on the friends and family of substance abusers. As a Mom of a recovering heroin /meth addict, I have learned SO MUCH about codependency and enabling.

I now have another loved one who has slipped into a very deep depression. He lost his best friend of 35 years to an accidental overdose 2 months ago. My brother lives with us, and is shutting down entirely. He goes to work and then comes home and sleeps over 16 hours a day.

He won't open up to me or my husband about this. When he does stay awake, he is drinking to excess and gets blackout drunk.
I love him very much but really don't know what to do since he doesn't want to admit he needs help.

I suggested he see a counselor and his doctor, but he has been very indecisive. It's like he wants to feel miserable (maybe he has survivors remorse?).

Does anyone have any advice?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If he has a job, why can't he live in his own place? It doesn't sound healthy for you or your husband to have to deal with a blackout drunk.

Same deal as with your son- you can't fix it. Take care of your own sanctuary and give him 30 days to find an apartment or living situation that isn't at your house.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bimini, he has lived with us for 3 years and has always paid rent and fair share of costs. Thanks for the advice, but that isn't what I am interested in doing. I agree blackout drunk is awful. That is not common and is why I am so concerned.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Grief is a funny thing, and everyone processes loss differently. I have suffered depression, and I am currently going through the grief of losing my husband nearly 2 years ago.

I can't really advise you, but perhaps he would be open to grief counseling? I have found it to be helpful for me.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Seren! He hasn't been open to anything except sleeping, however this morning he decided to walk to work (which is something we talked about for months since its a great exercise and way to lose weight!). I am hoping he is up and about when I get home tonight so I can talk to him. I know he is not coping very well, but I am hoping a non pushy ear to listen and then bounce some ideas off will assist him.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope that your brother was receptive to the idea...I know those can be difficult conversations to have.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just an update: He is "faking it until he makes it". He has stayed awake every day this week, and is spending more time with us. I pray that this last week when he was sleeping all the time is due to the grief he has and not a more lasting depression. I told him how happy I was to see him and I am not babying him or nagging on this topic. thank you for the support SR family.