Notices

Possible **TRIGGER WARNING**

Old 08-06-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Possible **TRIGGER WARNING**

I've been sober 8 weeks now and these are the type of ongoing symptoms i have.
I was diagnosed with BPD 2 years ago.
I've had several hospital admissions for suicidal thoughts, self harm/overdoses over 13 years. That's almost half of my life.
I've had years of regular counselling and dabbled in CBT. Plus on 150mg of sertraline and serquel

Bill payments
Hyper period
Depressive period
Anxious
Jumpy
Difficult to prep and cook dinner

Cannot understand tv
Addiction issues
No hobbies or interests
Cant hear certain people when they're talking
E.g. like I'm a zombie and looking through them.
Panic attacks
Sweating!!!!
Digestive issues
Anxiety visiting dr
Poor fashion choices
Encouraged to take medication from apps and alarms.

I can think a bit clearer right now so I'm writing on here because I think I have more or maybe a different mental illness
Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share Irishgirl, just wanted to say congrats on 8 weeks

D
Old 08-07-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 08-07-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome, I appreciate your share and hope you find SR helpful as your recovery continues.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Irishgirl,

Congrats on the 8 weeks

Have you spoken with your healthcare provider about these symptoms? When we drink and take psych meds the meds have to combat the alcohol and quite often (in my case anyway) the dosages on the meds are increased to compensate. That is what happened to me.

Once I quit drinking I experienced a lot of what you describe. Working with a med manager the dosages were adjusted. Also, it was determined I had further mental illnesses which were masked by the alcohol. It has taken years to get the dosages that work best for me.

Every case is individual, talk with your doctor, question him or her, express your concerns. Don't be afraid to be an active participant in your own healthcare. I started keeping a journal documenting my moods and showing it to my med manager. This gave her a better understanding of what was going through my head and prevented me from going in there and saying "feel great, everything is fine" and walking out with no change in my meds.

I wish you well in your recovery and again congrats on the 8 weeks.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm curious about your statement that you think you may have a different or another mental illness. BPD = borderline personality, or bipolar? Based on my own experience, I would say to try not to get too hung up on labels, but focus more on specific symptoms and what you've tried and haven't tried for those symptoms. There is a lot of overlap with some of these so-called disorders, so it is not unusual for people to be diagnosed, for example, with borderline personality and/or bipolar, and/or PTSD, and/or substance use disorders...

For me, it helps just to recognize when I'm suffering, and to have a plan (other than drink or drug) to do something about it. My recovery started with awareness of my symptoms, as well as my strengths. From your post I can tell your are no dummy, and you're well aware. Congrats on two months sober. It get easier when we stay clean.