Notices

Spouse has depression

Old 05-09-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spouse has depression

It's been a wild 2 years. We've been through a lot and a lot of that didn't have to be . 2 suicide attempts and a domestic battery and currently living apart but still married. Verbal abuse , constant accusations of cheating etc etc .
Is anyone else trying to deal with anything like this?
Old 05-10-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome Vegas. I don't have any experience myself with this but I hope you'll continue reading and sharing, even in other areas of the SR forums.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vegas66 View Post
It's been a wild 2 years. We've been through a lot and a lot of that didn't have to be . 2 suicide attempts and a domestic battery and currently living apart but still married. Verbal abuse , constant accusations of cheating etc etc .

Borderline personality disorder includes a pattern of unstable intense relationships, distorted self-image, extreme emotions and impulsiveness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border...ality_disorder

" constant accusations of cheating etc etc "

All of that emotion is backed by a very real fear of abandonment. A person with borderline personality disorder will spend the majority of their time worrying about being abandoned by those they most love, and acting on that feeling in a negative way. https://psychcentral.com/blog/archiv...ologists-fear/

Relate to any of this ?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vegas66 View Post
Not since I got divorced 12 years ago.

I'm sorry you're having to endure this drama.

It sounds like your wife is really sick.

Keep us posted as to how things work out.

I hope that it's a good result for you.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This sounds pretty well beyond just depression to some serious mental health issues. Hopefully she is getting treatment.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Vegas66.
I don't know if you'll make it back here or not but I've lived with a family member as well as an ex-spouse behaving that way. Sometimes suicide threats are used to manipulate and try to make a partner feel too guilty to leave.

Suicide threats are listed on the Domestic Abuse check list I used when I was in a very abusive relationship with a husband who kept threatening suicide. I left and he never committed suicide like he threatened. It was all manipulation.
His depression was real, but that was also something he manipulated me with. He would get super depressed when I didn't revolve my life around him..

That may not be the case with yours but I thought I'd put it out there as something to consider.
I hope you're well and she is getting help. Update us if you can.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Oh, that's so hard for both of you! I hope your spouse gets help and is willing to work hard to recover. My heart goes out to you.