Notices

How do I cope with depression sober

Old 11-25-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I cope with depression sober

I don't know how to cope with depression spells while sober! I am just so sad right now. I have been crying for 3 hours. I don't know how to be in life! I just don't know if I should reach out or reach in or write or draw, I don't know how to BE in LIFE!! I am so freaked out. In the past I would drink. Any advice would help. I am stuck. Thank you so much and so grateful for this community.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aug- I empathise. Been there- lots on line here about me. Have you thought of going to a doctor? The feeling alcohol gives is a lie- because alcohol is a nervous system depressant. So do not drink. Perhaps you need to do detox? Can you get to an AA meeting? Remember HALTS- hungry, angry, lonely, tired, sad. If you are hungry- eat and so on. Drink lots of water. Keep posting here. I read this, others will too. A problem shared is a problem halved. Try not to isolate. Avoid unsafe places and keep safe. Is there someone with you- or someone you can call? Keep posting and read stuff here. There are lots of threads with many stories from real people who have been exactly where you are now. Do not give into despair- you are not alone. PJ
Old 11-25-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Aug- I empathise. Been there- lots on line here about me. Have you thought of going to a doctor? The feeling alcohol gives is a lie- because alcohol is a nervous system depressant. So do not drink. Perhaps you need to do detox? Can you get to an AA meeting? Remember HALTS- hungry, angry, lonely, tired, sad. If you are hungry- eat and so on. Drink lots of water. Keep posting here. I read this, others will too. A problem shared is a problem halved. Try not to isolate. Avoid unsafe places and keep safe. Is there someone with you- or someone you can call? Keep posting and read stuff here. There are lots of threads with many stories from real people who have been exactly where you are now. Do not give into despair- you are not alone. PJ
Thank you so much, PJ. I have not heard of HALTS, but how helpful!! Thank you, I will write it down and remember. Also, I love the idea of a problem shared that is a problem halfed. thank you. I am going to read through here. It even did make me feel better once I got it off my chest. Now, it's the night but as soon as it is the morning I will go to a meeting. I know I drank to avoid reality and so reality is painful and I'm having trouble with reality. My reality in particular. I woke up and remembered/realized I have a father with illness and all this other stuff. It all hit me so hard. Thank you, PJ. Your post really helped me.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You see? Says here you are in NY. My city would fit in your back pocket and I am a long, long ways away. SR is all about sharing, reading, learning and growing. Great your going to a meeting. You do not have to share- if invited and you are not up to it- just introduce yourself and say you would just rather listen. No pressure. Remember- don't drink 'cos drinking is dumb Sending you my prayers. .PJ.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What has helped me with my depression and anxiety is thinking about things that I am thankful for and then to say what I am thankful for out loud or in my mind. I don't know if it works for everyone but that is what has helped me out.

Also, go out and do what you need to do even if you do not want to do it. I feel better when I do something that I don't want to do. If I stay home because I feel depressed, I become even more depressed.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sorry you had a rough night, Augustine. I'm not an alcoholic, but I have dealt with depression in my day. I don't know how long you have been sober, but it may be early days yet for the full affects of your drinking to leave your nervous system.

When I went through my two bouts of depression, I saw my doctor. He prescribed short courses of mild-antidepressants for me that helped. But I think what helped the most, and what still makes me feel better today if I'm feeling blue is to reach out to others.

Have you tried the chat room here? I can't get into it because I don't have the correct version of some software or another, but there is almost always someone around here to talk! SR is a great resource!!
Old 11-26-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was wondering why I was feeling so
low yesterday. So drained. Then it hit
me like a deer in headlights that our
home was stuffy.

We, down here in the South are experiencing
unusual warm weather and thus has us adjusting
the A/C /Heat as we need it.

Anyway, yesterday, before realizing the
stuffiness, I felt antsy, needing to escape
outside for some much needed sunlight,
fresh air to perk me up.

Each day I make sure I'm always connected
to SR for my recovery medicine which helps
me begin my day of in a healthier mind frame
to take on whatever the day may throw at me.

Then I eat a good healthy breakfast to
fuel my body and sustain me thruout
the morning.

Going thru the steps each day, my normal
routine, then I'm pretty sure I'm covered
in all areas of my life until something catches
me off guard like yesterday.

As we get older our bodies begin to
go thru changes that maybe we are
not aware of and so following up with
a yr. check up with ur physician is
important just to make sure everything
is ticking well.

Some of us may need extra vitamins
that our bodies desperately need that
the body isn't getting thru the right
foods we should be eating.

Alcohol or drugs will depleat our
bodies from receiving those vital
minerals needed to function to the
best of our human ability.

Anyway, after taking my vitamins,
eating well, getting some sun and fresh
air to return to my chair and laptop,
I still wasn't feeling up to par until
I realized I had turned off the a/c a
few days ago which made the house
stuff and made me feel sluggish.

Duh...!!!!!

Once I got some cool air flowing I
emmediately perked up and my frame
of mind also got that much needed
boost of energy.

Just like taking care of our car, keeping
it clean, fueled up, a proper check up,
tires, etc, then I'm good to go for the
next new sober day.

Just a few thoughts swirling in my
head to share with you guys in SR.
this morning.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Augustine, there have been many great suggestions made so I can't add anything else. Surrounding myself by others in recovery and letting them love me always removes my depression, so when I'm not feeling right (and even when I feel great) I make it to an AA meeting, church, or anywhere that has Fellowship. I know I'll find someone who understands me and is willing to listen.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you so much dear SR friends!! You have all helped me. I will take my vitamins, treat my body like a car, and go to meetings. I think I should also consider the fact that alcohol might still be leaving my system (I'm in early sobriety) and additionally, talk to my doctor about anti-depressents. It's just like I don't know life without the old coping skills. Thank you so much again.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My depression got a lot better after I'd been sober for a while. And since I wasn't drinking, my antidepressants worked as they should. I also try to get out and walk my dogs at least once a day, weather permitting. The exercise and fresh air really helps me relax and feel peaceful.

Early recovery is like a roller coaster ride, up and down. But stay sober and, bit by bit, it gets better.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would immediately make an appointment with a doctor.

Personally, I would start with a psychiatrist, because trying to alleviate the symptoms of depression constitutes a good bit of what they do.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Please let us know how things go along, Augustine!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
My depression got a lot better after I'd been sober for a while. And since I wasn't drinking, my antidepressants worked as they should. I also try to get out and walk my dogs at least once a day, weather permitting. The exercise and fresh air really helps me relax and feel peaceful.

Early recovery is like a roller coaster ride, up and down. But stay sober and, bit by bit, it gets better.
Thank you so much, the dog is a good idea. I was thinking about getting a dog just to get out of the house more, as I do tend to isolate especially in the winters. I should though maybe start with a plant! To see if I can care for that, after myself. But I also wanted to thank you all here on SR, because even getting it out on this forum thread really helped. Yes, I should see a doctor. I was on antidepressents last year, they helped some, but obviously not enough as I was drinking (and drugging) while taking them.

Now that I'm sober, the effects might be very different.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Early in sobriety, our emotions are really out of sync. Seasonal depression the shorter days gloomy weather can impact a persons emotional state.
Are you able to get to a gym or take brisk walks?
I dove into positive uplifting articles etc.

If it's too overwhelming I'd go to a Dr.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you adopt a dog or cat, you'll have a best friend for life. And having pets can ease depression. All I have to do is look at (and pet) my dogs and cats and I feel better.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dogs raise our serotonin levels, apparently. But a cat would be nice too, if you can't have a dog. I got my dog 12 years ago when I was struggling with depression. She's been a godsend to me and my family. She sleeps on my bed at night. She is always there, always loving, always loyal, always protective, always in need of love and petting. She is a nice presence in our home and life. What a gift she is. I love her to pieces.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i was going to post but reading here i know i'm not alone on this at this moment.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

See professional help, my psychiatrist is great.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A problem shared is a problem halved, I love that ❤️