SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   We all talk to ourselves, right? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/357675-we-all-talk-ourselves-right.html)

trachemys 01-26-2015 04:36 AM

We all talk to ourselves, right?

So, why not talk to the voices...

The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Hawks 01-26-2015 04:47 AM

I think its called AVRT.

;)

least 01-26-2015 09:05 AM

I don't have to talk to myself, I have cats and dogs to talk to. :)

Aellyce 01-26-2015 09:13 AM

I often hear voices when I'm at home. There is a older man, a baby (or two), and an opera singer who also plays the piano. I doubt that a support network or meds for me would silence them. Well, maybe when I was passed out drunk, that insulated them from my auditory perception.

Justincredible 01-26-2015 10:23 AM

interesting read trachemys,
thanks!

NYCDoglvr 01-26-2015 12:36 PM

My first sponsor advised me: "don't talk to invisible people". I don't see why not, lol.

advbike 01-26-2015 03:07 PM

That's interesting. I think most people can identify the voice of their ego, or thinking self, when it talks to us. That incessant internal dialogue, often referred to here as the AV when it encourages us to drink.. But hearing other people's voices is something I never considered.

chicory 01-26-2015 03:19 PM

Thank you Trac!
fascinating stuff.

hugs
chic

Dime 02-06-2015 08:19 PM

It's funny the things that happen to us. I suspect I had BP2 before my drinking problem set in. I went from beer to vodka and always made sure I had at least 2 full 1.75L of vodka under the bed, Lord only knows how much I actually drank.

Fortunately I never heard voices but I remember for over 2 weeks I could hear really good music and I would always reach down to the radio volume to crank up the tunes and it would freak me out to discover the radio was off.

Mirage74 02-07-2015 01:21 AM

Wow, thanks for posting this article. This is the first article on this I could relate to. I've had 'psychotic episodes' where I heard voices. Hospitalized 4 times and subsequently heavily medicated, with severe side effects.

I always suspected conversing with them was rather therapeutic and did not make me 'crazy'. But the medical community simply wants to rubber stamp you with some long- winded dianosis, medicate you, shut up the voices, and kick u out. It's good to see others have developed alternative treatment solutions. I may have to look into this. Thanks again for posting.

dsmaxis10 02-07-2015 06:08 PM

I'm schizophrenic know I don't talk to them.

bitmap 02-14-2015 05:40 AM

Like Dime I get music but after longer binges I get them, they are scary. I had be admitted the first because I was deliusional. Mine are not nice people.I wouldnt talk to them.