Notices

Too Much Medicine?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too Much Medicine?

Hello world,

When I last left the hospital for a manic episode my medication made me feel perfectly normal.

As time went by I started feeling run down and tired in the afternoon plus I've been sleeping longer, sometimes twelve hours.

I think underneath the medication, my mania has subsided and I'm different than when I was first released from the hospital. My new self doesn't have the energy it did and I'm "underwater" when I take all the medication it used to take to make me feel normal.

I have been holding on and taking the entire dose as prescribed but I'm thinking that this isn't acceptable. In order to drive a car I resort to drinking coffee.

Have you ever been in this state and what did you do?

Thanks,
BP
Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Mostly mine has been other way round, anti D's pushing me towards mania.

Meds might need to be adjusted. How about talking to your Dr, explaining the situation and seeing what they suggest.

The Dr's cant know what is or isn't working for us unless we talk to them, which in turn helps them do a better job for us and their other patients.

The goal is always stability and the ABILITY to live and enjoy our lives.

My bi polar sister has had your situation, where her meds for mania brought her down too much, way too much. Had to try something different. a frustrating but worthwhile process.

hugs...wish for all our sakes this thing was easier to manage
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always discuss any concerns regarding my psych meds with my prescribing psychiatrist.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been holding out for my appointment tomorrow.

I still need to drink coffee in order to pay bills or drive a car and it just seems funny having to take something to undo something else I took. Fortunately, I have time to get things in place. I'll let you know how it goes with the doctor.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the drugs will balance you out but it also zones you out at the same time.. it's hard to avoid but in order to stop your manic episodes from happening, you have to take the meds

It's going to take awhile to get used to, you may never get used to it but it's that's the only thing that's out there for now

good luck and stay positive
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ALWAYS CONSULT A DOCTOR ABOUT PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION. We aren't doctors but we do think we can "self-medicate". Please, see a shrink.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish you a good visit with your doctor. They can only help as much as you are willing to let them....and disclose.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think being zoned out is an acceptable solution. I call it numbed and dumbed. I am striving for more quality of life than that.
Mr pdr also does 50 minutes therapy, I see him twice a month. We have been able to gradually adjust meds one at a time. I am not where I want to be yet, but I am progressing.
I still have no energy, but my mind is regaining it's natural functions of interest, curiosities, liveliness. For this I am very grateful, but do know it has taken almost a year and with too must stress I can have setbacks.