SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   Lithium and tooth decay.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/241568-lithium-tooth-decay.html)

loveon2legs 11-21-2011 08:07 AM

Lithium and tooth decay....

It has been confirmed that the Lithium I was taking, was rotting my teeth!! and causing them to seperate!!! I knew it! before taking this drug I had beautiful teeth....now they have rotted...not too bad, but bad enough....there is no mention of this on the side effects..but if you google Lithium and tooth decay the responses are unreal!! I'm sooooooooooo p***ed..... now I will have to spend good hard earned money to have them fixed...with no dental plan.. I see my psyc on the 22nd...boy is she gonna hear it!! not impressed... had I of known..never would have taken this drug!!!

loveon2legs 11-21-2011 08:07 AM

not only did it cause tooth decay, but the water rentention and weight gain was awful!!! love to hear if anybody else experienced this..........

kiki5711 11-21-2011 09:28 AM

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Lithium:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; confusion; diarrhea; drowsiness; excessive weight gain; fainting; giddiness; inability to control the bladder or bowels; increased thirst; increased or decreased urination; involuntary twitching or muscle movements; loss of consciousness; loss of coordination; muscle weakness; persistent headache; persistent or severe nausea; ringing in the ears; seizures; slow or irregular heartbeat; slurred speech; swelling of the ankles or wrists; unsteadiness; vision changes; vomiting.

This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
Lithium Controlled-Release and Extended-Release Tablets

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Lithium Controlled-Release and Extended-Release Tablets:

Mild hand tremor; mild thirst; temporary, mild nausea and general discomfort at the beginning of treatment.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Lithium Controlled-Release and Extended-Release Tablets:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; confusion; diarrhea; drowsiness; excessive weight gain; fainting; giddiness; inability to control the bladder or bowels; increased thirst; increased or decreased urination; involuntary twitching or muscle movements; loss of consciousness; loss of coordination; muscle weakness; persistent headache; persistent or severe nausea; ringing in the ears; seizures; slow or irregular heartbeat; slurred speech; swelling of the ankles or wrists; unsteadiness; vision changes; vomiting.

This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
Lithium Syrup

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Lithium Syrup:

Mild hand tremor; mild thirst; temporary, mild nausea and general discomfort at the beginning of treatment.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Lithium Syrup:

This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider.

Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
I took Lithium once for 3 days and threw it in the trash. Told my doctor this was crap. It was like being on acid. Tripping all day long. And with all these side effect, it's like they're telling you, you'll die one way or the other.

nandm 11-21-2011 01:06 PM

40 pound weight gain over a period of 3 months was the side effect of lithium for me. It is a medication I will not be taking again. Glad I did not stay on it longer now that I know that it also could have harmed my teeth.

There are so many other medications out there that can be tried there is no reason to stick with one that either is not working or is giving us side effects we can not tolerate. I am sure it is a wonder drug for some people though. It just isn't the right medication for me. Not sure what is though as I have been through many of them and still seeking the right ones after 10 years of trying.

loveon2legs 11-21-2011 02:40 PM

It's terrible they can get away with prescribing this junk!!!

NYCDoglvr 11-22-2011 07:08 AM

I've been taking anti-depressants most of my life and dental care is a big challenge. Anti-depressants -- sounds like Lithium as well -- dry out your mouth which can lead to tooth decay. Three times per year I get professional cleanings which helps a great deal....

LadyL29 01-01-2018 01:26 PM

I just came across this post while searching for the side effects of Lithium.

This is my 3rd week. I responded well to the meds after a manic episode. My doc has increased my dose to 600mg now and I am also on Epilim. But what got me to google the side effects now was my sensitive teeth. It is the festive season and my first sober/clean Christmas and NY and this is the added bonus!

None of the other lists of side effects list tooth decay or tooth sensitivity. Or anything dental related!

Annoyed much but atleast i now know the cause and will be informing my Doc that i will no longer be taking those meds!