SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   Just a thought I had.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/22272-just-thought-i-had.html)

2stop 11-13-2003 05:34 AM

Just a thought I had....

I am sitting here thinking about what to do with myself and the thought entered my mind that one of my biggest misery factors is that whatever is happening at that moment I think it will last forever..that goes for the good stuff too...Whatever mood I am in I feel it is all, it is everything. So, I believe I DO live in the moment..but the problem is I stay in the moment..I get stuck. That is why I don't transition from good to bad or bad to good moods...everything is always ending and dreadful..or a delightful wonderful beginning..there is no balance, no median to soften the extreme moods and feelings....any suggestions? I often hear in NA/AA to stay in the moment...but I think that is not good for me...I need to stay a step ahead of myself or something!LOL...:confused:

Lilya 11-13-2003 05:42 AM

Dear Tammie,

I know what you mean. This is why we have this disease. We don´t handle well the natural flow of life.

One thing that struck me in the Far East was how serene the people were. The people I talked to told me that they take their fate stoically, because there is no choice. Life is like the ocean, they told me, you go with the tide. Take everything with serenity, good or bad. That´s the true Yin/Yang philosophy.

I believe we can learn this attitude by applying some cognitive therapy, which is based on the true fact that: A. Life is unfair,
and the sooner you accept this, the happier you´ll be!

Hope this helps,

Use adversity

leanna 11-13-2003 05:43 AM

hmm

maybe not taking any moment seriously or to the heart,maybe not taking any feeling too personal...but then again, maybe thats just being dead.
or maybe feeling that what your feeling is exactly how you should be feeling,even if it isnt 100 percent pleasant.
how you go about doing that..i dont know.

2stop 11-13-2003 05:47 AM

It does help! I have always had a strong sense and passion for "justice" and righting wrongs, making things better.....it has caused me great heartache at times..The only way I know to tame this is to be kind....turn my passions to change the world into being kind and puting myself in anothers shoes. When I do this I am much calmer..but then something comes along and I go rip-roaring mad over it...and don't help the situation..or myself at all....I DO believe being kind is the great equalizer for all injustice and hurt and pain..but I am also becoming aware that the greatest kindness I will ever know is the acceptance of myself and unconditional love for myself.....why is it so dang hard? LOL...I was about to say it is a great mystery..but actually I don't believe there is real mystery..as there is a need to understand. Thanks for the reply Lilya. I do hope you are getting rest and some fun into your daily routine!:)

2stop 11-13-2003 05:51 AM

Leiana...you are SO right about the taking it too seriously part. This morning I was pondeeing just this..how damn serious I am..LOL....the whole time being so serious about stopping being serious!! LOL LOL!!! I am going to have some fun today..I just caugtht myself from saying "plan" some fun..Oh wouldn't Freud have a play day with us addicts!!! Yikes!!!! Leiana..you are much wiser and sane than you give yourself credit for you know.

((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))):)

leanna 11-13-2003 05:59 AM

it isnt that im much wiser and sane, its that you find the good in everyhting...
u can only see what lives in you, only recognize what traits you posess.
its the window your looking through....(not me at all..lol)

when u laugh u make me laugh..i can feel your good mood all the way over here..

Justme57 11-13-2003 06:05 AM

Gee! something in Lilyas post really touched me , the bit about flowing with the tide !!!!!! how peaceful is THAT! I am not bi polar , but I can go with that concept ! :)

That is soooooo relaxing
lee

2stop 11-13-2003 06:09 AM

You a sweetie Leiana...I think you are strong and kind and tough, just the storms are battering you around. Hold on..we'll swim to safer shores okay? I am not giving up on you Leiana....you are not the disease, Leiana..you are so much more..and I am still prayin for you girl....I have been where i had absolutely felt nothing..no good no bad, not even indiferent...I was south oh hell by a long ways and thought I would never feel anything again..but you better believe you will....Boy howdy will you....and then you'll be like me saying what the hell did I go wanting to FEEL again??? But you know what? It IS worth it..it is our human spirit to feel love and to give love....We will love you til you love yourself Leiana..Don't give up..I am walking right beside you my friend....:)

((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))

2stop 11-13-2003 06:12 AM

Talk about a storm..We have 50 mph winds right now...sounds like the windows are gonna fall out. Yikes!!!!

leanna 11-13-2003 06:16 AM

aww. i can only smile to that....
i wish i had a storm here too,that would change the cycle.
but its the heat and the sunlight here taht makes miami calustraphobic like this.
i wish i was in newyork city....

2stop 11-13-2003 06:26 AM

I got to go to NYC last yaesr twice with my husband in his truck..it was great! My momwas born in NYC..she was adopted so I probably have relatives there....I live 3 1/2 hrs from NYC. I always have wanted to go to Miami though. I like to travel anywhere..anything besides standing still ya know? I feel the safest if I can keep moving. I always tell my husband if I can just run far enough ahead of myself I will be alright and I won't catch up and I can just keep running...boy can addicts run huh? I have had a few times the cops were chasing down as a teenager and they were so out of breathe and pissed..now I would just have to say Here Officer handcuff me..I would have trouble crawling away I am so freaking tired. Oh dear God the thiings that are crossing my mind today..memories better left buried!

leanna 11-13-2003 06:45 AM

now that u mention officers (ahh) u just reminded me of some memories i rather leave buried also....
i wonder how many addicts have been to jail...