Notices

Have you.........

Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Have you.........

ever wondered if maybe you were too dependent on your therapist? I guess I am struggling with that now- I trust him completely and can share everything with him but when he mentions possibly taking a break for a while it brings up anxiety and fear in me. I know he feels like he isn't helping me- but he is and honestly right now therapy is the only thing keeping me from making a bad choice- but i also don't want to feel like i am becoming a burden to him- I don't even know if this makes any sense but if anyone has advice or insight I would be glad to hear it- Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi treeline, I'm glad you're here and posting about this, hopefully you'll get some good responses from our other members.

I don't have much experience with this, other than to say that I needed much more than just one-on-ones with my therapist in early recovery. I also used group support and AA meetings, to mix it up a little. It definitely helped, I eventually stopped seeing my therapist but attend meetings years later.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi treeline! Have you discussed these feelings with your therapist? You may want to consider doing so if you haven't...he may actually really be able to help you work through your feelings about that. This kind of thing often happens in therapy (the client feeling "too dependent" on the therapist) so they're trained to handle such a thing!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there! I can totally identify with getting to a point where you have built a bond of trust and comfortability with a therapist--I saw one for about three years, and I can imagine how it would feel to have one's therapist suggest a break, especially when you're feeling fragile. Do you think that perhaps the suggestion touches a tender spot that fears rejection, or a false belief that you can't be helped? If we are truly doing the work, we put a lot of time and emotional/mental effort into establishing the counseling relationship, and the idea of having to start over can be overwhelming! Have you discussed these feelings with your therapist? That might help...and maybe you can find a little comfort in knowing that your therapist is more concerned about what is best for you than with collecting a session fee! . You are doing all the right things for yourself! Keep the faith.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses so far. No I haven't brought this up with my therapist- I really just kind of looked at it from this way these past few days. I was wondering if it was a good idea to bring up with my therapist- but I can see how it probably would be since he would be able to help me deal with the thoughts and fears.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi treeline,
In my experience the most progress is made when your therapist teaches you skills to help yourself deal with stress and anxiety in your life.
I wrote about my experience and how I got to where I am today on here when I first came to this site. The note is dated but the advice in it is still pertinent.
Here's the link if you are interested:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...dys-story.html
Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How are you doing treeline? I hope you have found something that is helping you
Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you still posting here treeline? I am thinking of you and wondering how you are doing?