Notices

Bi-Polar.. or Psychopath?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Bi-Polar.. or Psychopath?

Hello...

I've been on this forum for awhile, under friends and family of substance abusers.

I originally joined because my now ex was popping pills.. he stopped that.. so I thought maybe he's an alchoholic... well he slowed down on that..

So now I think he's either bi-polar, or a sociopath.. or both?

I don't have much experience with either, so I'm looking for personal opinions and stories. I seek guidance because while he's my ex, it's a constant battle to fight him off. He's begging me everyday to take him back, with wishful promises, and after I say no one too many times, he flips out, calls me names and says to F*ck off.

The cycle just repeats itself. I'm caught in the middle, because I do love him.. and I have hope for him. He's in denial of anything being wrong. Said he's tried therapy, and he learned in that, that he's a "good man" and he no longer needs help..

Umm. Hmm.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"Said he's tried therapy, and he learned in that, that he's a "good man" and he no longer needs help.."

I'm sure you'll agree that THAT's hysterical!

Ultimately, I don't think it matters. It's not our job to diagnose or place them in a "box". It's been my experience that most of us don't fit neatly in a box anyway. We just get labeled the closest title. It's not even our job to tell them they need help. Maybe go No Contact. Write him a sianara letter.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is just the start! He says the most ABSURD things.. and I feel bad for even laughing. I truly feel bad for him.. like, how's he even saying or thinking these things.

Well, I agree with what you're saying. I think I'm looking into this, because it's the best way for me to find closure. If I can figure.. something out, it will be easier not to cave in. I'm a serious co-dependent (which I am now working on), and I want to "help" him, or believe in him. It's very hard to stay firm.

I feel like.. if I can figure out that he's got serious issues going on, it will be easier to fight my temptation for him.

He doesn't suffer from mania though. just goes into frequent outbursts.. perhaps, a rageaholic? I dunno. I want some sort of understanding.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Oh, I'm a hopeless codie! <wave>

Ya wrote:

"I feel like.. if I can figure out that he's got serious issues going on, it will be easier to fight my temptation for him."

I've been here. What happened to me in hindsight is that I tried to figure it out. But, instead of having it be a reason to let it go. My codie went into overdrive trying to figure out a way to manipulate him with my new found knowledge!

Anyway, as codependents, I think we perpetually date the same person only wearing diffwerent skin. We also tend to get involved with people who have personality disorders if we don't have them ourselves. So learning about what kind of person you're addicted to can, I think help, if we only use the knowledge for future avoidance. No need to bring it up to the other person necessarily.

By the way, I'm much better at giving advice than following it! But, I've been doing pretty good as of late.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"But, instead of having it be a reason to let it go. My codie went into overdrive trying to figure out a way to manipulate him with my new found knowledge!"

Eeeek... You're right. Ugh. I'm so much better at being so, to the point, for others, but not myself as well.

I am trying to become aware of things, to avoid it in the future. I have a very healthy side too me, but I too, have (had) addictions, and I believe some sort of personality disorder. It's just a no-win situation for me. So, as I was saying.. if I stick to my healthy behavior/things.. then I may attract, eventually, the RIGHT person.. A healthier person.. mind and body.

Thank you
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jenny1232 View Post
I think I'm looking into this, because it's the best way for me to find closure.
JME, the only way I've ever found closure was to figure out my end.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Oh yeah, (duh) I just posted in my blog about various personality disorders that either some of us have or those we appear to be drawn to.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay, I will go check it out! Thank you.

Actually, the more I read on abuse/personality disorders - the more I see myself. While I know he's got issues.. I definitely see me in the descriptions too.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welp: This is me...

Dependent Personality Disorder
Histrionic Personality Disoder
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

<smile>

Don't be so hard on yourself! Put on the breaks! I'm a codependent. There's some stickies in the family and friends sections of alcoholics about us. Codie's hook up not with just alcoholics, but pretty much any sick person at all. Now, my sister is a dependent. She hasn't worked for a very long time and never learned to drive. So, she's very much dependent on others.

I have an inkling you're more like me!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WOW, yeah, I'm not THAT dependent. I did start reading co-dependent no more. I'm halfway through. I haven't had a whole lot of time to devote to it, because of school. Schools almost over, so I plan to dive right in. I spend all day at work on this forum though.. so I'm discovery a whole lot.. about myself, recovery, co-dependency, addiction, abuse, everything!

So, how are you exactly...?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Me too, me too! I'm reading codependent no more, I'm doing a book study on it in the family and friends of A's section. Just find the last post and then you could get the links to the pevious chapters to see what people wrote about them.

I was in a 9 year marraige that was bad. I got sober, he didn't, I stayed two years. Until I found Alanon who gave me a proper @sskicking - Then *snap* just like that I gave him the boot. Then I immediately hooked up with "The one who got away" from my past. Made a pile 'ol pile of sh*t out of it of course!

I'm feeling good, today at least. I'm a recovering A so I'm stepping up that program which helps.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

HA HA HA!

Okay, scroll down and see where it says "Tags" for this thread... It says

"anger, bipolar, crazy, psycho, sociopath"

Yep, that's me, depending on the day!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

LOL! What exactly do you mean by this...

Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

On congrats on your recovery though! Everyone here is a huge inspiration!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by Jenny1232 View Post
LOL! What exactly do you mean by this...

Each thread is "tagged" with certain words we write. That way should someone want to find a thread that talks about a specific topic - The proper thread will come up in a search.

This one is tagged: "anger, bipolar, crazy, psycho, sociopath"
Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah, lol. I get that, I created those tags lol! That's your characteristics? You said it was you, depending on the day?

Lol, sorry for the confusion!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

OMG! I hope those tags don't follow me around. ;-)

I'm pretty much a codie got all the characteristics to a "T"!. I'm also a recovering A, I'm also a ACOA, I also have genetic psychiatric issues, and it seems I also fit the criteria of a "torchbearer" a type of Love Addict.

It's a wonder I'm freely walking around at all!

Ah, but I know I'm not alone. Besides, issues and all - I like me! :-)
Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Oh yeah, almost forgot - Got me some ADD too. That's why I'll often end up talking to myself in SR posts! I don't give anyone a chance to reply!