Notices

Empathy Fail

Old 03-13-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Misanthrope

Empathy Fail

So, I have a friend. My friend is having a hard time because he lost his mother and just broke up with his girlfriend,etc. I have a hard time relating to that and I suck at comforting people...I just don't know what to say. He knows my father is dead, so I think he thinks i'm sorta in the same boat, but I don't miss my father, in fact, my life has improved significantly with him absent from it. I have never had a real relationship either. I have never been loved. I'm not feeling resentful, I just don't know what I can do/say to comfort him.

To complicate things further, I just lost my health insurance so i've not been quite right since I ran out of medication. Withdrawal symptoms at least partially maybe. He mentioned being worried about me or something. I don't know. I feel like i've kind of neglected him. I didn't even ask him whether he wanted to talk about things the last time I tried to talk to him. I'm also worried to talk to him again because I don't want to seem like i'm following him or something and I don't want him to stop talking to me. I can't even talk to him all weekend because hes at drill and its spring break. I just don't want to start a conversation some reason. Usually he starts conversations with me, the past couple days before class let out, he hasn't really bothered starting them.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rancorous View Post
So, I have a friend. My friend is having a hard time because he lost his mother and just broke up with his girlfriend,etc. I have a hard time relating to that and I suck at comforting people...I just don't know what to say. He knows my father is dead, so I think he thinks i'm sorta in the same boat, but I don't miss my father, in fact, my life has improved significantly with him absent from it. I have never had a real relationship either. I have never been loved. I'm not feeling resentful, I just don't know what I can do/say to comfort him.

To complicate things further, I just lost my health insurance so i've not been quite right since I ran out of medication. Withdrawal symptoms at least partially maybe. He mentioned being worried about me or something. I don't know. I feel like i've kind of neglected him. I didn't even ask him whether he wanted to talk about things the last time I tried to talk to him. I'm also worried to talk to him again because I don't want to seem like i'm following him or something and I don't want him to stop talking to me. I can't even talk to him all weekend because hes at drill and its spring break. I just don't want to start a conversation some reason. Usually he starts conversations with me, the past couple days before class let out, he hasn't really bothered starting them.
He probably hasn't been seeking you out for conversation because he's in deep mourning. The best thing a friend can do sometimes is to just listen and let him vent. You don't have to try to reassure him or anything. Just listen. In this case you're probably going to have to start the conversation if you want to help him, and if he doesn't want to be bothered right now, respect that. I've found that most of a good friendship is just being there, even if you're not with him, just as long as he knows you're there and he can talk to you. But also take care of yourself first, so you can better take care of others.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Misanthrope

This is probably true. I just hate seeing him upset like that.