Notices

started on mirtazapine and it is interfering

Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

started on mirtazapine and it is interfering

... with my AA attendance and progress on step 4 due to - drowsiness, strange dreams and lack of initiative.

It seems so difficult to phone the doctor to stop them ...

... and to discuss a different antidepressant --- to help with the cold clammy spine and chilled marrow of my bones, the grey metallic blackness ...

Anyone else been there?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long have you been on the medication? Sometimes it can take a week or 2 for your body to get used to it, and many times the side effects will go away and/or lessen to where they do not bother you.

It could also be that maybe just lowering the dosage (depending on how much you are on) can help.

Or, it could be this just isn't the right medication for you.

I know it seems like just too much energy or effort to call your doctor, but its important that you do. He/She needs to know how the medication is affecting you and make recommendations from there. Every day you put it off is another day you feel bad.

I don't know much about AA or step 4, so I can't really give any recommendations or suggestions with that, or know how the medication can be affecting that. But I am sure someone else will be by soon and will have something helpful to add.

Hang in there!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The drowsiness does go away

I'm not sure when you started it, but I started Remeron at the beginning of December and it took about 2-3 weeks for the drowsiness after I woke up to dissipate, so I would give it a while before you kick it. Now I can get up fine and not feel groggy. The one other complaint you MAY have is that it tends to promote weight gain/overeating and may make it harder to lose weight. But I've tried Ambien and Trazadone, and Remeron seems to be best for my depression and anxiety, as well as for helping me get to sleep. If after a month you still have the groginess/drowsiness, talk to your doctor about switching to something else.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's week 3. The demands of life can't take the effects any longer (making me unable to do needed things)

I am fed up of seeing through soap suds or little lenses everywhere.

I have been on half to one-quarter of the official starting dose.

Do I really have to undergo this for another ten days?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Found View Post
It's week 3. The demands of life can't take the effects any longer (making me unable to do needed things)

I am fed up of seeing through soap suds or little lenses everywhere.

I have been on half to one-quarter of the official starting dose.

Do I really have to undergo this for another ten days?
If you've been on it for 3 weeks, and still having these side effects, you really really should contact your doctor.