Notices

Deplin

Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Deplin

I was a bit skeptical when my psych doc suggested I start Deplin as it is considered a nutritional supplement by the insurance company although you have to have a prescription to get it. This is the official definition of how Deplin works
How Does DeplinŽ Work?
DeplinŽ is a trimonoamine modulator containing 7.5 mg of L-methylfolate, the only active form of folate that can cross the blood brain barrier.

L-methylfolate crosses the blood brain barrier and aids in the synthesis of new neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) associated with mood.

DeplinŽ works through a natural process in the brain to regulate all three monoamine neurotransmitters associated with mood by providing the increased dietary requirements for folate. L-methylfolate is needed by depressed patients with suboptimal folate to regulate the synthesis of monoamines (serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine) and known as a trimonoamine modulator (TMM). By managing trimonoamine neurotransmitter synthesis, L-methylfolate, when taken with antidepressants, improves benefits.
I have been surprised with the results. She also had me start vitamin D3 at the same time as she felt that I would benefit from it since I was not in the sun much. The benefits I have seen have been
  • I am able to finally really laugh. I have not been able to find enough humor in things for years to be able to without thinking laugh out loud from the soul.
  • My hair is starting to return to brown, I started turning gray at the age of 21. I don't know if this is related to the Deplin or not as it is not listed as a side effect, I just find it odd that within a few months of taking Deplin this is occuring
  • I have more of a sense of well being
  • I have more serenity
  • I have an increased amount of time I feel better emotionally and mentally
The things that have either gotten worse or not changed are
  • Mood swings seem to have increased.
  • Still have suicidal thoughts and deep depressions when they hit
  • Still fighting anxiety and PTSD effects
  • Still have nightmares and flashbacks
I just thought I would share my experience with this medication.

If you are wondering if this might be useful for you here are some of the causes of low folate levels and who this might help:
Low Folate Levels and Depression
You may be at risk for low folate levels

If you...

have a specific genetic factor that impairs folate metabolism
7 out of 10 people with depression may have a specific genetic factor that limits their ability to convert folic acid or folate from the diet to L-methylfolate.11 This is important because L-methylfolate is the only form of folate used by the brain to correct a neurotransmitter imbalance linked to depression.

suffer from some chronic diseases
Diabetes, hypothyroidism, atrophic gastritis, Crohn's, colitis, malignancies , anorexia

take certain drugs:
(Drug.....Use)
Oral contraceptives......birth control medications
Antiepileptic drugs.....bipolar disorder, anti-seizure
Lithium.....bipolar disorder, depression
Metformin.....diabetes
Methotrexate, sulphasalazine.....arthritis, cancer
L-dopa.....Parkinson's
Niacin, fenofibrates.....high cholesterol
Isotretinion.....acne
have a certain lifestyle.....Smoking, excess alcohol, dietary folate deficiency
(poor nutrition, eating disorder, chronic dieting)
are pregnant
Here is a link to the Deplin web page if anyone is interested in learning more about this medication: How DeplinŽ Works : DeplinŽ
Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actually if you're looking to save money you can buy L-methylfolate at Vitman Cottage or other health stores, that's where I got mine as L-methionine. It has helped immensely in increasing the effectiveness of my anti-depressants. I've actually run out and need to get some more, but I'm trying to go a week without it and see if it really was working.

I would guess your hair returning to brown might be more a result of Vitamin D, but I'm not certain.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My pdoc put me on L-methylfolate, along with a few other supplements (nothing fancy or obscure, as neither of us fully trust supps). I've noticed a big difference too