Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

When your psych knows you're alcoholic, do you still get meds?

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One of the reasons I am afraid to fess up to psychiatrist is that I have severe anxiety and depression and take medication for it. I have had this my whole life, even as a child and adolescent, way before I ever drank. I cannot imagine not having access to my medication, and I am afraid that if I get 'labeled' as an alcoholic, that suddenly I will have a harder time getting medication, if I get any at all? I do not, nor have I ever abused my antidepressents, or anti-anxiety meds. I do not want to get sidelong glances in the docs office, or not be trusted with my meds suddenly because of this problem. Life is hard enough, and while I'd love to fess up, I'm scared of the ramifications. How does this work? What's been your experience?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Good topic! I felt the same way for years. But for me, I was abusing the anti anxiety meds.

I have been in Recovery for 4 & 1/2 years now. I have chronic medical conditons and every single doctor that I even speak to is made aware of the fact, right away, that I am a recovering addict and alcoholic. I have to do this so I'm not given any meds that will risk my relapsing.

Only one time over the past 4 & 1/2 years have I ran into a doctor who treated me differently after I told them. This was an ER doctor who thought I was drug seeking when I was there for something that didn't even have to do with pain. I told him right when he walked in the door that I was in Recovery and not there for drugs, but he knew about my history and had an attitude before he saw me. Every other doctor that I have seen congratulate me on my Recovery, they've been fantastic at working with me on finding other meds to help me. I suffer from depression and take meds for it. I used to take Benzos for anxiety, rather I abused them so I don't touch anything like those now. I have learned other ways to control my anxiety and to honest, they work better than Xanax did. That's the truth.

Things aren't like they were years ago when an alcoholic or addict was shunned into the corner and shamed. Addiction has come out of the closet so to speak. Millions of people suffer from the disease, doctors are realizing that we're not just "weak people" who have no control. We have a disease, just like Cancer, Heart Disease, etc.

Please talk to your doctor. And for God's sakes, stop drinking and taking anti anxiety meds that are benzos (if that's what you're on) Over the years, I have seen so many people mix these two, fall asleep and not wake up. This combination is deadly.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 01-10-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience, I've had no problems with this--though it is an admittedly LITTLE bit of experience. I'm currently switching psychiatrists so I can let you know the reaction of the new one, but with my past psychiatrists (2), one of the first things out of my mouth has been about my alcohol/drug abuse and I've never had any problems with being labeled or getting my necessary medicines. Talk to your doctor! It's important they know what they're dealing with so that they can help you better!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i believe that alcoholism is a primary disease.

it must be arrested before you can adequately address the mental health issues.
when you do, you may find that your other issues are much easier to tackle.

yes, tell your doc. and put down the bottle
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I have quit drinking already...day 15 today! Woo Hoo. I was a binge drinker, so when I drank, I simply stopped taking my meds for 3-4 days. No wonder I was a basket case, huh?? I only took my medicine HALF the time. It's good to hear that people aren't prevented from taking the medicine that can so dearly help them.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

way to go, humble.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I too was a binge drinker, also on anti-anxiety meds (xanax), also never abused them. With my last doctor I was never totally honest about much of anything. That could be part of the reason he wasn't able to help me very much.

Recently I moved and started seeing a new doctor. I made a pledge to myself that this time I was going to be totally honest about everything right up front. My anxiety comes primarily in the evenings as I go to sleep. I worry and obsess, play things over and over in my head and have a really hard time getting decent sleep because of it. I had been perscribed .5mg of xanax at bedtime and as needed. There were only rare ocassions that I needed it other than at bed. I told my new doctor about this and she said there was no way she was going to perscribe my xanax. At first I was pissed, but then I just accepted it as how it was and tried to work with the meds she did perscribe.

I still had some left from my old perscription that I would take on nights I was tearing myself up, but most nights I just dealt with it. It took usually took me at least an hour to get to sleep, sometimes a few hours, but I just lived with being tired. When I went for a follow up appointment a month later, I was completely honest with her again. I told her I still was using it on occasion, but was trying to follow her instructions to the best of my ability. I told her my sleep was suffering because of it and it was better the nights I took my xanax. She put me back on it. Now things are much better.

I guess my point is that when we go to doctors for help we are only hurting ourselves when we are not totally honest with them. If I had been having a more severe reaction to not taking it, panic attacks and such, I would have told her sooner. If you want to be helped you really have to let them know what is going on.

My advice is to share with your doctor exactly what you have shared with us. That you want to be honest, but at the same time are concerned. Tell her about your efforts with recovery and just lay all your cards on the table. Your doctor wants to help you, not hurt you. Maybe she will want to take you off. If that is the case, make sure you can contact her if you have a severe reaction to it. Maybe she'll keep you on them. Let the doctor's do their job. It's what we are paying them for. Congrats on the 15 days!! Take care.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi humble! I had the same concerns, and my psych did take me off klonopin, as bonzodiazapines are typically not recommended for alcoholics.

Of course, antidepressants actually work better without alcohol in your system so no change there, plus there is no way to "abuse" antidepressants.

After trying a couple of non-benzo drugs and none at all for anxiety/sleep, my psych did put me back on klonopin. I think the main reason she trusted me with it was that I had two bottles of it (two diff dosages, because I was taking it am and pm) that I did not touch after getting sober until we decided it was ok. I take a much smaller dose than I did before and only pm.

I have not had a panic attack since getting sober, only some days of generalised anxiety, fear and jumpiness. I'm not working though, so I am rarely in a situation that would trigger an attack.
I have been close at a few AA social events where I got hit on and didn't like the attention, but I find that the trust I have in myself that came with getting sober keeps me from having to "escape" a situation by having a breakdown. I can state my needs clearly (in this case, back the hell off!) rather than trying to retreat internally until I feel cornered and come apart completely.

Hope my experience helps. I think you'll find most people in recovery will tell you honesty with doctors is the best, and if they don't get it, find another doc!

@unholy - Go Saints!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a similar fear too. I have been treated by a psychiatrist for Depression/anxiety for almost 2 years now. It has been a roller coaster trying to find the right medications and get stabilized. However, I did not mention anything about the alcohol until a couple months ago as I came to realize that the alcohol is another chemical and is interfering with the medication and my mind working correctly. I finally came to decide that I needed to be completely honest in order to get better and it was worth the risk.

so far, the only change is that he will not prescribe any benzo's. I am being reminded by my therapist and other supports that the current medications will work better without the alcohol. but, I'm still nervous. we'll see.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd like to hear the update from unholy mess.....how did the new doctor act?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I still get meds even though I used....they work much better now that I'm clean...open so they can help...no secrets...
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

New psychiatrist acted just like the others, I am happy to report! I was totally open and honest about everything and she thanked me for letting her know, exactly, what we were up against so that she knew how to deal with the situation!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update. I see my psych doctor again next week for a follow up after he recommended rehab.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic and still get prescribed antidepreants- just because you tell the doc you are alcoholic doesn't mean they are going to stop giving you meds- good docs will monitor the situation and make sure they are helping you be successful in your recovery from both the alcoholism and the mental aspect
Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

i believe that alcoholism is a primary disease.

it must be arrested before you can adequately address the mental health issues.
when you do, you may find that your other issues are much easier to tackle.

yes, tell your doc. and put down the bottle
I don't beleive alcoholism is a primary disease. But thats because in my case I was always self medicating with drugs/alcohol because of my underlying issues.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not totally honest with my Docs because I'm afraid they will document "substance abuse".

I think my employer would be more understandable to anxiety/insomina that alcohol problems.