Notices

Lamictal/Lamotrigine

Old 12-25-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lamictal/Lamotrigine

Hello!

I'm currently taking Lamotrigine - the generic for Lamotrigine for Bipolar II disorder.
I am taking the cautious approach, starting out at 25mg for two weeks then increasing after that.

Any experience with the drug? I would appreciate it!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Wish I could help but I have no experience with it. I'll give this a bump to see if we can get anyone to respond.

Best wishes to you on your journey in recovery.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My doc tried me on the medication earlier this year. It didn't work for me, but that's how medications are sadly. It never works the same way for everyone. So while it didn't work for me, I hope it does for you!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Lamictal has worked fairly well for me over the past few years. Just be careful of the generic form of it, if you are given Dr. Reddy brand it is known to be not nearly as effective or consistent with dosing. Try to stick with the same brand of generic if you are going to use one.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to take it. But anything I ever took was only marginally helpfull until I got sober. So I couldnt really tell you if it worked for me or not. All I know is I stopped taking it for some reason
Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

One big concern with Lamictal/Lamotrigine is people can develop a serious and potentially deadly rash from it. If you develop a rash call your doctor and go to the ER immediately as this can be quite serious.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you. I do know about the rash. And the generic I have is from Dr. Reddy. This is my first shot at it, so I am hopeful it works.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

I have been on (and off, got in the way of my drinking sometimes) Lamictal for about 5 years and it works for me.
Remember if you are bipolar its the mood stabilizer and you will still probably need an antidepressant at least thats what works for me.
If you suffer this do your selves a favor and take your meds, they work soo well when you are clean and sober!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Love it!!! I'm on something else for the depression that also works with anxiety, Zoloft. So Lamactil I'm taking as a mood stabilizer.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes and it is wonderful for me. I would say that not all drugs are effective for the same person. In other words what works for me may not work for you. I can tell you 25mg may not be enough. I am on 200 mg daily. I have tried 400 daily but that is too much.

You need to just test the waters and find the happy medium. Just remember it is not going to take all your problems away but you should still find the dose that is most effective for you. Taking to much is just as bad as taking to little.

Also this med might not be the one for you. I have taken other meds and they have put me right to sleep. Keep your options open.

I wish you luck
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"I am on 200 mg daily."

Me too. I started on 25mg same as you. The start-up plan. :-)