Notices

Severe Nausea with Prozac?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Severe Nausea with Prozac?

I was just curious if anyone has experienced this? I was prescribed 20mg. about a week ago...I started taking it, and a few days later, I started waking up with severe nausea and leg tremors...I still feel sick, it feels a little better and then gets worse...I already have a sensitive stomach, and it seems like something really upset it...I have almost a month sober, but I haven't had a big appetite...so I'm not having much food with it...I really dont want to take it anymore because I can't deal with feeling so sick all day...I have hardly even slept because every time I lay down I feel like I'm going to throw up...I know the only other time I've gotten leg tremors was when I drank too much (I havn't drank anything) or when I had side effects/withdrawal from another anti-depressant a couple of years ago...Ugh this is horrible.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Prozac and I did not agree. I was very nauseous, drowsy (and I was driving 100 miles roundtrip per day to tech school), and I ended up feeling jittery and with the leg tremors like you mentioned after a month on it.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Hmmm, Prozac was about the only anti depressant that didn't cause me any side effects. I've been on it for about 10 years or so, no side effects or problems at all. Have you spoken to your Doctor or left a message with his office? I know I wouldn't want to take something that had me nauseous all the time and the leg tremors would drive me crazy too.

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but when you all see a commercial for a medicine and the side effects are nausea, diarrhea, constipation, thoughts of suicide, hair loss, weight gain, weight loss, fatigue, insomnia, drowsiness, irritability, feeling bloated . . . doesn't it just make you want to rush to the doctor and get an Rx for it? lol

Judy
Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started taking Prozac about a month ago and, compared to other SSRIs I've been on, the initial side effects were pretty bad.

Maybe you could ask your doctor about lowering the dose for a week or two, and adjust the dose as necessary once the side effects have subsided. A lot of people can't tolerate starting at 20 mg.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was on a high dose of Prozac for about 2 and half years when I was a teenager, and while it didn't make me nauseous, my legs twitched constantly. I finally got off it and tried Paxil at around the dose of Prozac you're taking now and experienced really bad nausea. I stopped after a month because of it. My advice is to wait it out a bit longer, but get off it if that continues (maybe try something else). I don't think its worth it with those kind of side effects. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I definitely can't tolerate this, it's horrible...I am going to speak to the Psych Tues about it...I also have anxiety, but actually got worse when I started taking this, and I've been very jittery aside from the nausea and tremors. Thanks all for the replies, greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

At one time I was taking Prozac for a couple years but didn't notice any side effects. I think your are doing the right thing about consulting you Doc whenever serious side effects arise from taking any medication. Also congratulations on your sober time.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

just another voice for nausea - but it went away in a couple of weeks.

This was years ago - i don't take it now. Just FYI.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
I definitely can't tolerate this, it's horrible...I am going to speak to the Psych Tues about it...I also have anxiety, but actually got worse when I started taking this, and I've been very jittery aside from the nausea and tremors. Thanks all for the replies, greatly appreciated.
This is the main side effect I had - anxiety, feeling jittery and edgy. It's gone now, though. I'm glad you're going to discuss this with your doc, make sure to ask him about lowering your dose; sorry to be repetitive, but 20 mg is usually way too high a starting dose for anxiety-prone people. good luck!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post
This is the main side effect I had - anxiety, feeling jittery and edgy. It's gone now, though. I'm glad you're going to discuss this with your doc, make sure to ask him about lowering your dose; sorry to be repetitive, but 20 mg is usually way too high a starting dose for anxiety-prone people. good luck!
Thanks Matt...The Psych should already know this, wtf? Appreciate your input
Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
Thanks Matt...The Psych should already know this, wtf?
Yeah, one would assume that they know what they're doing. Sadly, IME, that's not the case for a lot of them. I've been "treated" by several quacks who pretended that my complaints were "in my head", and not the result of their reckless, clueless assessments and prescriptions. I'm not saying that your doc is like that but if you don't fully trust him/her, maybe you'd be better off finding a new one. Keep us posted
Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you been on something that worked for you in the past? If yes, you can try to switch to that drug again. I had a very hard time finding an antidepressant that wouldn't cause severe and immediate side effects. Celexa was probably number 5. But is caused bad long-term side effects and awful withdrawal.

But you definitely should not be suffering like this now. Take care.
OB
Old 05-22-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
Have you been on something that worked for you in the past? If yes, you can try to switch to that drug again. I had a very hard time finding an antidepressant that wouldn't cause severe and immediate side effects. Celexa was probably number 5. But is caused bad long-term side effects and awful withdrawal.

But you definitely should not be suffering like this now. Take care.
OB
I am really not a fan of anti-depressents, but I do seem to need something for depression and anxiety. Yes you are right, I totally do not need to suffer like this now, it's hard enough going through all these changes, and going to therapy. Everything seems so different now, trying to get my thoughts in order and control the anxiety, which is hard because I always used to do that through drinking and I can't anymore...which also causes some panic in itself...I haven't had any luck with any anti-depressents in the past, some of them have helped me feel better as far as the depression went but as far as side effects and withdrawals go, I've had some pretty rough times. I've never gotten this nauseaus from any pills, and the leg tremors and anxiety have have been ridiculous ...Trouble sleeping also, which I know goes on in early recovery, but these pills are making it worse.....Thanks for your reply
Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been on Cymbalta now for around a year. For me, it was an easy transition (from Lexapro) with no side effects.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I've been on Cymbalta now for around a year. For me, it was an easy transition (from Lexapro) with no side effects.
I tried Cymbalta before, didn't work out for me either...I just want this sh*t out of my system already...I know it's gonna take a few more days. Trying to hang in there.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have you looked into getting something short term for anxiety and sleep? Maybe if you can stabilize those, you might not even need the antidepressant in the end. I don't remember if you mentioned the dose but ask your doctor to start on a lower dose of a new antidepressant to see if you have the side effects and then increase it to what it should be.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
Have you looked into getting something short term for anxiety and sleep? Maybe if you can stabilize those, you might not even need the antidepressant in the end. I don't remember if you mentioned the dose but ask your doctor to start on a lower dose of a new antidepressant to see if you have the side effects and then increase it to what it should be.

Good luck!
Hey Ocean...I have to talk to the Psych this week...He started me on 20 mg of Prozac...I cannot tell you what it did to my stomach..It did not agree with me at all, as a matter of fact I think I've had one of the worst reactions...My Gastritis flared up and it's taking awhile to go away... I went to the E.R. anyway, and there's not much they can do...They gave me something for nausea and just said to drink some Maalox to coat and ease the burning...Plus it's making me feel more jittery and lightheaded...not fun at all...I could use something for anxiety right now...I had a really hard time with other anti-depressents in the past, but I should probably be on something... I will have to figure it out, but right now all I wanna do is feel better.