Notices

Who is your higher power?

Old 08-16-2003, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who is your higher power?

This is a topic that come up a lot in my recovery. I´m a daughter of a firm agnostic and a Christian mother, but I´m a lapsed Catholic myself. I´ve been searching forever for a religion I can relate to but I cannot relate to Christianity anymore, because my husband and my daughter joined a cult which destroyed a vital part of my life. This has made me averse to the Bible and I become extremely afraid when people quote too much from it, because I think fanaticism (not necesseraly Christians, only cults) is one of most dangerous forces on this planet.

In France, we use the words Puissance Supérieure (Higher Power) and Puissance Inférieure (Lesser power? Negative power?). I firmly believe there is a power greater then me at work in my life, even when I don´t want to receive it. I´m a pagan at heart and nature and animals fill me with energy and faith. I´m also a great believer in Oriental wisdom. This mixture has worked very well for me for the last decade, but my religion is still a work in progress and will be always.

Well, this is me. What about you?

Use adversity
Old 08-16-2003, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I have been doing some very "deep" thinking this week about what exactly I am referring to when I say God or HP. Great topic Lilya!~....nature has always been my most steady guide to what I call a power higher than myself, I never could "click" with any organized religion, not to say it's bad, just didn't set well with me....the sun is probably my most steady guide...the sun and the moon and stars at night can really calm my spirit, bringing that "knowing" deep within me that all is in perfect order..it is for me to align myself..not try to rearrange all that is around me. I am still growing and learning in this department though.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am also a lapsed catholic, however in the past couple of years I have a renewed interest in faith. I do believe in God, and I find the bible to be very interesting in an historical context.

I believe in helping people, in praying, asking for guidance from God, and Jesus. I feel awkward though in discussing this since I am uncomfortable with many religious peoples due to the way they come on to me about their religion. On the other hand I feel guilty in that I don't try to go out and make converts. So obviously I have confusion about this. I don't go to church, but I would like to, however I'm lazy. I believe that I am a sinner, but I also believe that I can be redeemed.

Juls
Old 08-18-2003, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 08-18-2003, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ok, I've typed a response and it won't post. Only ...came up.
Anyone know what I might be doing wrong???
Mamabear
Old 08-18-2003, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry Mamabear, I have no idea.

Juls
Old 08-18-2003, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

My cat.

All cat owners have the same awnser.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mamabear,

Oh lÃ* lÃ*, the censor has arrived! Now we finally have some fun. Do you know the word in French? I had the same problems with a certain word in English...

Caveman, thanks for reminding me. Of course I mean my cats! As it says in the poem by Charles Baudelaire: "They are pearls of wisdom, as mysterious as Egyptian Sphinxes, fickle and faithless like women..." In short: "They are not animals, they are gods." (Baudelaire)

Use adversity
Old 08-19-2003, 10:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lilya,

I don't think the censors have arrived, since I'm the one that moderates the board, and I haven't censored anyone, yet. LOL

Juls
Old 08-20-2003, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Juls,

Oups!

Use adversity
Old 08-20-2003, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not to worry Lilya,
Old 08-20-2003, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I shall try again.....

I am a practicing Catholic, what is termed a progressive Catholic. For many years, I had one foot out the door and one on a banana peel, until I found the following scholars/ theologians:
Joan Chittister and her book Scarred by Struggle , Transformed by Hope; Matthew Fox and his spirituality that connects God and nature; Edwinna Gately, a poet who rewrites the stories of Biblical women in contemporary terms; National Catholic Reporter, a biweekly newspaper, and Call to Action.

So, Who is my Higher power? I believe God can be found in relationship and in solitude. Nature reminds me of God's presence and power: a strong wind, a beautiful sunset, a violent storm fill me with awe. I believe we can be the body of Christ on earth by the way we treat one another. Many images of God speak to me: a female image of Wisdom Sophia, both male and female images of the Holy Spirit, yet, the image I pray to most is Jesus as friend and savior.
I don't believe in a master plan; rather, I believe we are given free will and can choose our behaviors. I believe God is present always whether we are aware of God or not and that He is with us in a special way when we suffer. I recognize that I have only a speck of understanding of who God is therefore I do not believe that my faith is the only faith.
~peace,
Mamabear
Old 08-20-2003, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lilya,

I wanted to say how sorry I am that a cult has taken away your husband and dauhter. That must be so painful for you.

In our family there is a rift between my sister in law and all of us. She is a right wing fundamentalist who is completely intolerant of anything other than a literal interpretation of the Bible. that has caused so much pain. (As my motherinlaw was dying, she insisted she wasn't "saved" even though my motherinlaw was a wonderful good person who practiced her faith in word and deed).

By the way, how is your dad?
has the heat subsided?
((love))
Mamabear
Old 08-20-2003, 06:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mamabear,

That was a beautiful post, and gave me alot of things to think about. Have you ever heard of Hank Hanagram, the Bible Answer Man. It's a show I like to listen to on the radio. People call in with questions about things in the Bible and he answers their questions. It was listening to his show that helped renew my interest in the faith again.

Hmm, I wanted to say something else but it went out of my head.

Juls
Old 08-21-2003, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mamabear,

Thanks for your beautiful message.

The heat is getting better, but my father is slowly dying. a tough thing to accept but has to be done.

My cross to bear is the cult, that´s for sure, but I intend to bend and not break. I have come to accept it more over the years, by living my life in a different context. My Higher Power gave me something else instead: A rich life full of adventures, travels, fun work and last but not least, a large family. My nieces -from age of 5 to 16 adore me and I adore them. I have most of them every weekend if I want to and on weekdays to. And I have a wonderful boy, age of 10, my fosterson. He is turning out to be quite a scientist and totally unlike his aunt and fostermother, who was quite wild in her young days!:p

I believe there are two dimensions. The world around us and the world we cannot see. I believe there are destinies at work in our life interacting with free will. It´s in our power to react wisely to adversity and with modesty to happiness.

Use adversity
Old 08-21-2003, 08:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Here's a related question: How do you pray to your Higher Power?

Lilya,
Why modesty in relation to happiness? Can you elaborate?
gracias,
Mamabear
Old 08-22-2003, 04:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I pray, I use "Holy Mother of God" or "God". I use the Serenety prayer and "Hail Mary full of grace". I pray when I´m in nature and then I use the word Almighty.

To receive happiness with modesty is for me to not fly over the hills when something good happens. I use to do that because of my Bi-polar sickness before I took meds. I went spending, rushing from one place to another and in short, I was so totally elated, when adversity hit I was like a bursted balloon.

How is your son doing? I was reading elsewhere he started school today.

Light and love,
Use adversity
Old 08-22-2003, 05:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not sure yet.
He seems good...dare I say...and feels he has a fresh start.
He will need new meetings and a therapist at school. Once the transition is complete, I think it will be easier. -thanks for asking about him.
We moved him into his room, I should say closet, yesterday.
Ahhh I get the modesty idea now.

I seem to be changing my style of prayer. Most effective for me is lying/resting in svasana ( a reclining yoga position) and just be aware of God's presence. Then I visualize who I'd like to pray for and imaging lifting them to God. No words. All images. It's been very helpful for me the last two weeks. When I am struggling with depression, I have a hard time stringing ideas together and this style needs no words. I have had several emotional responses in the "letting go" part.
Mamabear
Old 08-22-2003, 07:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was taught to pray to God through his son Jesus, and not directly to God. I don't even know why, LOL, but that's what I do. Usually I pray for others, and I always pray for world peace. I often wonder if we all prayed for world peace if that would help. However, I'm sure millions of us must be doing it already, so...

Juls
Old 08-23-2003, 05:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Juls!! I pray for world peace and talk to anybody who''ll listen about it, many think I am nuts..and idealist..and 'full of ideas"....well I tell them all good change starts with a thought, begins with an idea, and you add belief and miracles CAN happen, we've been programmed and taught that "things are the way they are" and "it's always been this way" Nonsense!! Things are the way we expect them to be, I also believe that yes therre is a "balance" of good and evil, but we must keep the "good" as majority rule. When I think over the middle east situation and see peace plans touted as the "saviour" for the problems..I think..their HAS to be forgiveness and mercy before any positive changes can occur there, Yes they must take measures to protect themselves, there must be "national security", but the security measures and policy implemented from a base of retaliation and contempt will never bring security..But peace begins at home, in each our hearts and thoughts..so as we all grow in recovery we are doing our part for world peace! Sorry I ramblrd on there!!

Lilya~ I am like you, I have to watch how "happy" I get because the fall is so violent and erratic it just unsettles me for a good while. ((((((((HUGS))))))))) and ((((((((PRAYERS)))))))))))) for you Lilya as you go through this difficult time. God bless you.....