Notices

New to the site. Question about med's.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New to the site. Question about med's.

Hello everyone! I found this site by chance while searching for info. on my new medication, so I figured I would try it out. I want to give you a quick synopsis of my history with alcohol and my mental conditions before I ask my question. This is my second time in recovery for alcoholism. I have PTSD, DID, Panic and Anxiety Disorder, and slight Agoraphobia. I started self medicating with alcohol during my second marriage. It was an abusive one. That was in 2003. Before that, I was just a social drinker, but being abused and living in Key West, the drinking capital of Florida, didn't help matters. Alcohol seemed to help me escape from my problems at first, but then I started lashing out and becoming violent myself. So, in 2006, I sought help. I think I stayed sober for almost a year, then my husband (same one, still abusive) started going out on long deployments and I met someone who enjoyed drinking just as much as I did and started again. I actually started a relationship with this man, and left my husband to move back to Florida from Virginia with him. He was good to me, but did not help AT ALL with my alcoholism. He was an enabler. I broke it off with him, shortly after moving back to Florida. Now its been almost two years and I'm in a WONDERFUL relationship with a man who does not drink and will not allow himself to be with me if I drink. But, I've had a couple of slip ups. I have a condition where I Dissociate myself when I am stressed, in fear of my life or in fear of being hurt physically or mentally...ect., and I turn into a completely different person and sometimes I don't remember doing things for minutes or hours. So, a couple of times, I have bought alcohol and did not realize it until after I was already drunk, then I would just flip out and have to be Baker Acted. Right now, they have me on Lexapro (don't ask me why....I'm not depressed), and Valium. I just started the Valium yesterday, before that I was on Xanax, which works fine, but wears off too fast. The Valium dosage is too low, because I felt absolutely nothing yesterday. 2 mg.!! I think they give that dosage to kids. lol. Can you take Valium and Xanax at the same time?? In the same day?? Because I still have some Xanax left over and the Valium didn't work, but I do want to give it a chance. Is it harmful? My Xanax dosage is only .5 mg (the peach ones). I'm afraid of interactions. I also take Atenolol 25 mg twice a day for a heart condition. If anyone knows anything about these med's and how they would interact, please respond. Thank you so much!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Standing by his side

It's always best to be safe than sorry. i would call your doctor and let him know how you are feeling that the med is not working. maybe he can up the mgs. with your heart conditon i would not ake any chances. take care of you.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Conky, I'd like to welcome you to SR and I'm sure someone will come along soon to answer some of your questions.

Please check out the research and info links here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html and consider consulting your doctor about meds. We're not doctors!

Again, welcome to this site, it's a wonderful resource for information and support.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!

Please consult your doctor regarding the medications and dosages.