Notices

Insane vivid dreams after sobriety?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thumbs down Insane vivid dreams after sobriety?

Hello all, I'm going through a rough patch right now, it's bad enough I don't know my finances, abilities, problems that are stuck in the back of my sub conscious that I can't find, and bad enough about my autism... but...

I had a terrible dream that has changed my day yesterday...
I dreamt someone confronted me out of nowhere, tattooed me violently with a knife and I had to go for surgery/etc and it was almost like they cut off my arms
The problem with the dream is that it was so real I literally almost felt like falling out of bed during slumber....

Very disturbing, I'm still disturbed from it. Still shaking a little too, heart pounding irregurally.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My dreams have been quite vivid as well. I've experienced it before on certain antidepressants. So I guess it's a chemical change, with the alcohol out of my system, but maybe not out of my brain. Two nights ago I had a dream that I watched my dog get run over by a car. I screamed and woke myself up. It was a little too real for me. I've had dreams that I can't get out of. I dream that I wake up and find that it really WASN'T just a dream. The brain is an amazing thing. I didn't expect this to happen when I quit drinking. I guess I didn't realize how much alcohol effects your brain.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

after you stop using the dreams will lesson coke dreams though last yrs. pray the rosary before you sleep and say hail mary's when bad thoughts come around he will flee cannot stand before the blessed mother from cheeky also known as Sr.Teresa Raphael
Old 03-06-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Paul,
Is this new? The dreams, I mean.
have the dreams just started? Or has it been since you stopped drinking?
Cuz you've been sober quite some time now.

Hope to hear from you so we can try to figure this out together.

Shalom!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had very vivid dreams but they only lasted about two months or so.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have very odd anxiety dreams about work alot. Shouldn't be suprised though that's where alot of my RL anxiety comes from too. I paint +$1,000,000 homes and due to the recent housing economy it's become a rat race. Perfection is a must. It's odd though because it seems the first sytom of my panic attacks is deja-vu from one of my dreams.

When I tell my Dr about this,he gives me a blank stare with no feedback and tries to write me a Zoloft prescription.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some dreams are really disturbing, eh. I was advised to write the bad ones down on paper as a means of getting them out of my head.

It worked ok too and the dreams stopped about 3 months into sobriety.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was in recovery last time and even this time, I have extremely vivid dreams. Most of them involve drinking and partying. I can almost feel drunk in the dreams, but when I wake up, I'm fine. I also have very disturbing dreams, but that could be partly because I have PTSD. I do understand what you are talking about. Are you on any med's? Some med's will cause you to have vivid dreams.