SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   Ending the use of Paxil (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/171376-ending-use-paxil.html)

yeahgr8 03-13-2009 07:39 AM

Rufus I am on the second week of tapering off, so this is the first day without any paxil, then tomorrow 10mg and so on for a week then off completely (remember i'd only been on 5 months). I feel soooo weird, light headed too! Wow! And the nightmares i have had in the last few days are disturbing (understatement), i never thought i would dream what i am dreaming...really set up a bad day...but hey still sober so who cares:-)

Glad to hear you are in good hands with your GP, you will get off it don't worry!

RufusACanal 03-13-2009 02:08 PM

Excellent my friend. I am getting back to normal after getting back on my routine. I believe that the devil one knows is better than the one I don't. Feelings are coming back in line and I am functioning more clearly.

RufusACanal 03-15-2009 04:20 PM

Still progressing well. The mind may be a terrible thing to waste, but damn playing with it has to rank up there somewhere. :)

BKP 03-19-2009 02:13 PM

worst drug ever, my roomate in college turned into a monster on Paxil which led me to let out my demons of rage and violence with anger. Made our lives hell.

Astro 03-19-2009 02:37 PM

Let's try to remember that everyone will have different experiences with meds, some of which are very positive. Thanks gang! :ghug

PaperDolls 03-19-2009 03:10 PM

Glad to see you doing this responsibly Rufus! In my experience, it's crucial to keep in contact with your doctor while changing or tapering off of meds.

I've been on many different anti-depressants over the years (never Paxil). I've had to change ADs several times because of several reasons, one being that the effectiveness seems to wear off after a period of time. They're all different.

I had a hard time tapering off of Effexor but I got 'er done. :) I had to taper off of it because it became uneffective. If I had not done it with the help of my doctor, I may have gone completely insane. It was really rough.

I've been on Cymbalta since around September or October and I don't really have any complaints. I would love to be "drug-free" but I don't see it in my near future.

Good luck to ya!

sisterofD 03-24-2009 09:35 PM

I have been on Paxil for 10 years, I am cutting my dose in half tonight and starting cymbalta, I have had terrible withdrawls with Paxil, my doctor is thinking the cymbalta will help with this I hope. The paxil just doesnt seem to work anymore, the sexual side effects have been terrible, I have just accepted it and lived with it, but told my doc today, hubby and I have been married 23 years we shouldnt have to deal with this anymore, hoping cymbalta will be better.
I also take buspar.
Wish me luck, good luck to you to.

hugs
sisofD

tiburon88 03-24-2009 09:50 PM

Rufus, I was on Paxil for a long time and had to very slowly wean myself off of it when it wasn't helping. My doc told me that Paxil is one of the hardest of the SSRI's to discontinue. I guess everyone is different though.

tib