SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   Is your loved one suffering from depression? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/124856-your-loved-one-suffering-depression.html)

PaperDolls 05-30-2007 08:42 AM

Is your loved one suffering from depression?

I'm just curious about support groups for "friends and family of depressed". C is struggling just as much as I am trying to deal with me. She's done some reading and has tried being supportive and motivating and all of that. I'm not usually a happy camper and I'm defensive and nasty.

She feels very fed up right now and isn't sure what she can do to help.

Does anyone have any advice for someone dealing with someone with depression (or a mental illness)?

best 05-30-2007 08:58 AM

Working the steps and encouragement towards positives works well.
Accentuate the positives and let go of the negatives.

PaperDolls 05-30-2007 09:01 AM

working the steps? Like alanon? She doesn't go to alanon.

best 05-30-2007 09:21 AM

Yes like Al Anon

The steps work so well in all parts of life.
Replace alcoholic behaviors with behaviors that could be abrasive that are caused by depression.
Thing I find though... an alcoholic can't be forced to do anything but I can be motivated enough to pull out of depression. I don't have clinical depression so maybe that is why as well. Still the encouragement and boundaries work well for us both,

PaperDolls 05-30-2007 01:21 PM

Well, the few times I've mentioned Alanon to her she made this funny face.

May be I'll take her sometime -- we could go together.

By the way -- I'm the depressed one and she's the one trying to "deal" with me.

Thanks for the advise Best. :)

best 05-30-2007 01:27 PM

Same here but my depression only slows me down to a point that I feel I can deal with it and have never asked a Dr about it. Maybe like a bad day for me could be like a good day for a person with a clinical depression. I understand the feelings to a degree but not the full degree. Still... the boundaries and encouragement works well for me.
At times... even pulling me out of bed has worked *LOL*
Come on lets go!

PaperDolls 05-31-2007 08:17 AM

:\

aperson 06-05-2007 07:08 PM

paper dolls

hey i'm possibly in a similar situation as you partner/friend. my partner is depressed and i'm going out of my mind trying to help and support him, he completely non-responsive, but mores so now, i'm struggling to cope with it all, what is your partner/friend doing in the way of support for herself?

Live 06-05-2007 11:21 PM

I won't speak about this on this thread, but I am willing to talk about it in PaperDoll's daily ditty.

Sorry, Best, Love you but it is religious differences.

PaperDolls 06-05-2007 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 1359734)
hey i'm possibly in a similar situation as you partner/friend. my partner is depressed and i'm going out of my mind trying to help and support him, he completely non-responsive, but mores so now, i'm struggling to cope with it all, what is your partner/friend doing in the way of support for herself?

Honestly, I would say she's not doing much. I know she's done a lot of reading. At this point she's just fed up with me. I wish you and your partner luck! :) It's not a smooth traveling road, that's for sure.

PaperDolls 06-06-2007 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by liveweyerd (Post 1359932)
I won't speak about this on this thread, but I am willing to talk about it in PaperDoll's daily ditty.

Sorry, Best, Love you but it is religious differences.

I may be out of the loop on something here but please come over to my ditty and talk about it.

hugs