SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   Neurontin, Lithium, Lexapro (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/108440-neurontin-lithium-lexapro.html)

tennchick9598 11-21-2006 06:35 PM

Neurontin, Lithium, Lexapro

I am bipolar and was in a detox prog for abusing prescrip drugs, anyway, i take neurontin 400mg 4 times a day for nerve pain, plus other reasons im sure, and i take lithium 3x a day, and i take lexapro 1x a day......any thoughts experiences or advice on it?:hypnotize

Wii 11-21-2006 08:48 PM

Oh Dear Lord. I'm sorry to hear that.

BSPGirl 11-22-2006 03:30 AM

I have no opinions or experiences apart from thinking: wow that's a lot of meds.

Marte

ccgirl 11-22-2006 03:46 AM

I am bipolar too, and my friends, that is NOT a lot of meds. Lexapro has been a godsend to me (I take 40 mg.) Lithium, not so much. I gained a lot of weight on it, tried depakote, hated it. There is a new mood stabilizer out there called lamictal (sp?) and it too, has been a godsend. As far as the neurontin goes, I don't use it, but a friend of mine who fell on the ice last year was on vicoden and it didn't work, so they switched her to that and the results were dramatic.

I know this is an addiction forum, but for a disorder such as bipolar disorder, meds are a necessary evil. Diabetics need insulin, Bipolar sufferers need mood stablilizers.

Good luck! Hope I helped.

ccgirl 11-22-2006 03:48 AM

P.S. The lamictil has NO side effects and you only take it once a day

reader 11-22-2006 04:20 AM

Lamictial and effexor work great for me, its nice to only have to take meds once a day.

historyteach 11-22-2006 04:26 AM

Listen to your body. Share that information with your doctor.
Do what's right for you.

Shalom!

BSPGirl 11-22-2006 06:34 AM

I said I had no opinions, geez. I'm not gonna argue whether the topic starter needs those meds or not. It's just a reflection of the first thought that popped up in my head. :)

Marte

ccgirl 11-22-2006 08:06 AM

It's all good. I just get a little defensive about some meds.:Val004:

Wii 11-22-2006 08:58 AM

I'm not a big fan of drugs so anything I say will be disputed by someone so I'll just shut the hell up. :C023:

tennchick9598 11-22-2006 11:16 AM

thank you all for your info, and thoughts. I feel pretty good, i wonder if i should take a higer dose of lexapro tho, its only 10 mg. did i mention the seroquel? Thats only at bedtime, and dang that will knock you flat on your caboose, but i feel pretty good and not like using, couldnt figure out how to do it now anyway, haha, im gettin used to the meds and am loopy as all get out.....anyway, again, i love you guys and thanks:Val004:

meli2005 11-22-2006 01:44 PM

My AH who is also bipolar takes Lithium, Seroquel, and Topamax and then there is the Ambien for sleep. He used to be on Depakote but it stopped owrking and it caused him weight gain, which is fairly common w/Depakote.

Wii 12-02-2006 02:29 AM

I'm Loopy on Cold medicines right now. It's 4:30 A.M. and I woke up in a coughing fit so I had to get up for a while and let the cough syrup and Benedryl kick in. I wonder how much longer I am going to be sick, it's going on 3 damn months now.

Hey, anyone in Admin. Why don't the smilies work?? And I shut off for abuse of smilies?? ** There could be a smilie right here, right now but they don't work }

cinderellawkids 12-05-2006 12:24 PM

I take 10 mg of Lexapro, Im starting to think I need more Ive been on it 6 months and Im all over the place again, mainly low depressed and anxious. I actually feel myself slipping deeper.

Funny someone mentioned Topomax. before I knew I was bipolar I was prescribed Topomax for migraines and I remember telling a coworker "Is this what "normal " feels like. " I could think for the first time ever.

mikiglen 12-05-2006 01:52 PM

i started on topamax also for migraines, and it knocked me on my butt the first time. i'm weird, don't give things like that time to work, but seems like a lot of people have really good results with it. did i have some crazy paradoxical reaction, or if it does make you sleepy, for how long?
thanks
misti

danib 11-01-2007 02:48 PM

i have trouble lettin the meds work too Mikiglen, i understand. i start to feel a little loopy & i toss them out. i'm really trying to let the Lyrica work for my chronic back / neck pain issues. i fear sometimes people don't understand the degree of pain some of us have. i gave a lot of advice to a friend once about not taking drugs & now i feel so bad & owe him an apology, i had no idea what kind of mind scrambling life altering pain he was really in until i experienced it myself. my car crash that caused my injury was a rollover truck that i flew out the window of & the truck landed on top of me. it was no fender bender. so i sure understand what that kind of injury can do to someone. i'm lucky to be alive, but i also have the pain to deal with daily & it can really wear someone down to fight it every minute of every day.
Tennlady, how does the Neurontin work for you?

Wii 11-01-2007 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by danib (Post 1548208)
i have trouble lettin the meds work too Mikiglen, i understand. i start to feel a little loopy & i toss them out. i'm really trying to let the Lyrica work for my chronic back / neck pain issues. i fear sometimes people don't understand the degree of pain some of us have. i gave a lot of advice to a friend once about not taking drugs & now i feel so bad & owe him an apology, i had no idea what kind of mind scrambling life altering pain he was really in until i experienced it myself. my car crash that caused my injury was a rollover truck that i flew out the window of & the truck landed on top of me. it was no fender bender. so i sure understand what that kind of injury can do to someone. i'm lucky to be alive, but i also have the pain to deal with daily & it can really wear someone down to fight it every minute of every day.
Tennlady, how does the Neurontin work for you?

OMG danib. :sorry I am So sorry for your accident and injuries. You MUST be in Hell. Sounds terrible. :Val004: I hope over time things will heal and your pain will subside.

danib 11-01-2007 04:45 PM

thank you for the good wishes. :)
i'm afraid since my accident was over 2 decades ago that i will probably never fully heal, but i do also hope that i will find some answers & be in less hell. ;)

tennchick9598 02-03-2008 05:58 PM

I just thought I would bump up my old thread. I wanted to list the meds I am on now. Okay, the doc did take me off neurontin but put me back on. So neurontin 800mg 4xdaily, Lyrica 75mg 3x daily, Lamictal 200mg 1x daily, seroquel 600mg nightly, Robaxin 750mg as needed(muscle relaxer they give you in rehab) I think thats it, LOL, SOOOO what is everyone else on. I am bipolar by the way......ok lets hear everyones..

tennchick9598 02-03-2008 06:00 PM

OOPs, forgot Xanax Xr 1mg 3x daily and Xanax instant .25mg as needed. Ok, everyone else tell what ya take.....