Notices

A little freaked – info please!!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little freaked – info please!!

Hi guys,

I finally went to my doc last week about my anxiety, which I have suffered from for years but has been really out of control lately to the point where I’m struggling to hold down my job. I’m also drinking a lot to ease my nerves and just escape everything.

He prescribed me a low dose of xanax, but told me little about the drug. He knows about my drinking, but didn’t really mention anything about the xanax/alcohol combo. Maybe because he thought that being on medication, I would have no desire to drink. Surprise, surprise, not the case. Who knew alcoholism was a problem all of its own?! lol.

Anyhow, I have now seen posts on SR relating to xanax being used in conjunction with alcohol and leading to death and this has gotten me a little freaked out. Is this only in the case of a xanax overdose? What equates to a xanax overdose anyway? Or is it just xanax and alcohol that is the problem? Is all of this something that I need not be concerned about on a low dose?

Even if someone could point me to a useful site on medications that would be really helpful, as I haven’t been able to find any really legitimate ones.

Also wondering… I also have a history of depression and it seems that either one or the other (anxiety or depression) will be the over-arching emotion/situation/whatever. I’m a little worried that if xanax manages to ease my anxiety, it will just leave room for the depression to creep back. Anyone experienced this?

Thanks heaps.
Stacey.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dunno about that anxiety/depression thing, (maybe someone having experience with this can tell ya more) but I do know that some anti depressants (the SSRI's if I remember it correctly) also get prescribed for anxiety disorders. Anyway can't you ring your dr or a pharmacy to ask detailed information? As a patient you got the right to know everything about the medication you're going to take. Kinda logical, I'd never just insert pills in my mouth without knowing what I'm taking exactly.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Stacy,
I go to www.webmd.com when I want information on drugs and/or conditions.

I've dealt with anxiety and depression. I've been on (and still have a prescription to take as needed), xanax. There are many variables that come into play regarding this whole situation.

One thing for sure, drinking will only exaserbate both anxiety and depression. If you have an alcohol dependency, you really need to take care of that first. Taking xanax won't help if you continue to take the substance - alcohol - that's probably causing the condition in the first place.

Marte has an excellent point too. Call, or go in and talk to, your pharmacist. That person is trained in all the aspects of meds. Actually, they know much more than doctors do about meds. But, they will not, indeed, they CANNOT, give you medical advice. They will strictly limit the conversation to the drug itself.

It sounds as if your doctor is not aware of the extent of your alcohol use. Please do inform him or her. If s/he *is* aware, and gave you xanax anyway, well....you may want to consider an alternative physician.

Wishing you the best.

Shalom!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. I will check out that website and if not satisfied that I have all the info I'm after, will go in and chat to the pharmacist.

As for the drinking, that only kind of started relatively recently as a way to cope with the over-bearing anxiety... I guess, given that, I also kind of thought that medication would slot in as a nice little replacement, I thought the anxiety was the problem, not the alcohol. Pretty naive I guess. Anyway, still hopeful that it is just a bad habit that I can break, rather than a full blown problem. Time will tell I guess!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It would be most helpful and really actually necessary to give up the alcohol to allow the medication to work so that you know what your true situation is.
You MUST be very cautious mixing the two, because yes, it can be a disaster.
If you find that you are taking more than prescribed ask about a non-narcotic for anxiety.
I take xanax, but I have definitely found less is better.