Notices

Phenergan

Old 08-13-2006, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phenergan

Hello everyone,

Has anyone here used the drug Phenergan for some time?

I had difficulties sleeping due to stress and my pshyciatrist recommended Phenergan. As a former junkie Iīm not allowed regular sleeping pills, so Phenergan seems to be the alternative.

I have to say it really helped me sleep, but it knocked me out and I felt heavy and lethargic in the morning. Now when I donīt take it anymore, I feel like a different person. Iīm much lighter and not anxious anymore. I felt it made me more anxious than my stress allowed for, and it also took away my self confidence. I also think it made me gain weight.

It would be interesting to know if some one else had the same experience. I doubt if I will take it again when I get stressed the next time. Does anyone know of an alternative?

Love and light,
Old 08-13-2006, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey....if phenergan is having all those yucky side effects that you don't like ask your doc to try vistaril or maybe compazine or possibley even meclazine. they are all in the same general family but work just a little bit differently....and they all have the same ultimate effect they will help you sleep.

i hope this helps

rachel

p.s. i was a rx tech in the us navy for 5 1/2 years so i do know what i'm talking about promise!!!! lol
Old 08-13-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lilya.Our AD had many surgeries that started her addiction to painkillers.My husband and I noticed she also was taking abnormal amounts of phenegran,we ask her Dr.if it was addictive he said no,she may not have been addicted but she abused it to the point we were convinced she was .I hate that drug as much as any because it was used by her so much.Gate
Old 08-17-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe try a drug called Trazodone, it's an antidepressant and very sedating!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Big thanks to all of you!

Iīll ask my doctor next time I need a non-addictive sleeping aid.

Love and light,
Old 08-23-2006, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Don't all these darn psych meds put weight on..I'm pretty sick of it..altho I'm only up 30 lbs now compared to 65 a few years ago
Old 08-28-2006, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Hi Lilya! I have taken phenergan quite often for the nausea and vomiting of my migraines. I am getting more an dmore agitated when I take it, so am going to request a cgange to maybe vistaril. It can help you sleep, help treat anxiety and is non addictive. I believe it is an antihistamine.

Hey, could you say a prayer for my son. he is 13 and put his arm through the glass in our front window. He cut three tendons, shredded a tendon, and cut a nerve. He is facing major therapy and huge huge medical bills due to we not having health insurance and this surgeon will jot take state medical card which I was going to try and get for him. It is so frustrating.

But overall I amk doing very well. Making a 98% average in ym medical transcription studies and keeping a happy spirit through some tought imes. I am so blessed and I pray you al are growing stronger each day.

You all are always in my heart...(((HUGS)))
Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all of you.

Darling 2Stop, I will say a prayer for your son, and better than that, I will talk to the Carmelites nuns I sometimes go to. Their energy and healing power is amazing.

Otherwise, I can see youīre doing great!

Upanddownjj, yes, the weight gain is a bitch. For me itīs 5 kilos I cannot get off, despite EVERYTHING I do. And itīs a lot I try!

Love and light,
Old 08-28-2006, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

if you take phenergan or vistaril with some pain meds it can "intensify the affect" that is why some people abuse it.....but they are safe and non addictive...but can leave you lethargic and kinda blah.... atarax is another drug you could try is almost the same chemical ...it is hydroxyzine HCL not pamoate ......
Old 08-30-2006, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reikihelps

Lilya,

This may sound silly but have you ever tried Benadryl? Helps me sleep and totally harmless. I, too, used phenergan for vomiting and upset stomach. Never used it for anything else though.

(((Tammie, here goes a prayer for your son)))
Old 08-31-2006, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear Reiki,

No, Iīm afraid I donīt know what it is. I will ask at the pharmacy.

Thanks all of you, youīve been great.

Love and light,
Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reikihelps

Benadryl's used for allergies and is over the counter.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Benadryl is a trade name for diphenhydramine. It's an over the counter (at least here in the U.S.) antihistimine. The generic brands can sell for as little as $1.00. This was recommended to me by my addictions counselor years ago as a sleep aid, and it really does help. My doctor also ok'd it's use for anxiety, though it does cause drowsiness.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

I have tried Phenergan before, it was givent to me after a near fatal overdose... It was for the nausea and vomitting I was experiencing. It did knock me out! Due to my addictive personality, I wouldn't trust myself using it on a regular basis. Plus, I did feel in a major fog the next day... I have used Benedryl on occasion for sleep, it works good. Be careful though, there have been cases of fatal OD's on Benedryl. There is also Melatonin available at health food stores. This works real well, but tends to give me vivid technicolor dreams...

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the latin names of those drugs.

Sometimes I take Primperan for nausea and that really knocks me out, but I donīt get high.

I appreciate what you said about phenergan, Budoc, and maybe there is an addiction risk (Iīm a former Cocaine, amphetamine, you name it junkie). Thatīs why my doctor gives me phenergan if I have sleeping difficulties. I find this drug so revolting I donīt want to take it anymore, and to get high? Forget it! No addiction risk here. LOL

Thanks very much,
Old 09-02-2006, 04:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Melatonin should not be taking by people who have depression.
The unisom gives me day after anxiety.
Trazadone works safely for me.
And, I have been prescribed it for a few years, I have managed to lower the dosage...so it doesn't seem to develop a tolerance where one needs more. I need LESS now.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Melatonin has depression risk? Interesting. I took it for some time when I went on work assignments in the US, and I think I took it for about 2-4 years. It made me dream too, but then I always dream in vivid technicolour.

I stopped taking Melatonin because we couldnīt get it in Paris and many doctors were against it. There was something about it I disliked, but I couldnīt put a finger on it.

Love and light,