Notices

Losing effectiveness

Old 09-03-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing effectiveness

Does anyone know how long an antidepressant can help?

I have been on the same one for almost 20 years. I have tried to go off, with out much success, but I find that the drug is helping me only to a certain extent. I feel I could feel better, and less compulsive/obsessive.
It's like it only takes "the edge off" of depression, OCD.

My pdoc states that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but I don't necessarily agree with him...I feel that I could be better.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Has anyone changed an anti-d to find one works better than another?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

If you have been on the same antidepressant for that long, it is obviously an older medication. New research and better drugs are coming forward all the time. Speak frankly to your Dr. about your feelings and concerns. If your Dr. won't listen and work with you to help effectively manage your mental health, then I'd say it's time to find a new Dr. JMHO...

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wolfstarr, Doc is correct there are new types. However, a doctor might only neet to up the dose. You didn't mention and I forgot what you're taking. Whatever you're taking go to their web site. They will tell you the ceiling for that medication, and then you can see if a large dose is available. Many of the medications I've been on before they've walked me up the scale until they for the correct millagrams for me. I wouldn't be surprised if your's also had a higher avaiable dose. The trick of course is that sometimes circumstances will give the apperance that our Meds are not working. This is where the doctor comes in. Hey Wolf, we're not getting any youger and after 20 years we could very well change chemically as well as physically. Don W
Old 09-04-2006, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to be tried on quite number of antidepressants just to find what worked for me. Then, I don't know if you remember but there was an ad that used to run alot, it showed a depressed person, then a person functioning, and than a person happy. I kept seeing it, it was running in all the magazines.
I thought about it. I went to my Dr and said I wanted to raise my dosage. We did and then we also put me on a 2d antidepressant.
WOW! When it first kicked in, I kept marveling to myself....I had never felt this before in my life and other people "normal" people took it for granted!!
It all leveled off. But I still stay on the higher dose and the 2d one.
I have still had to struggle through all my issues and still do, but I have alot of hope! And I do have a sense of basic happiness. That is so major to me.
I am really glad I went back to the Dr and said, this is helping but I feel like it could be better., I am functioning, but we are not quite there yet.
just my 2 cents.
Wishing you the best!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, all.
Doc, it's Prozac, 20mg once a day. I have been on that for years. I go higher and the therapeutic window closes. I get all sorts of side effects from it and it does me no good. Again, I haven't tried that for some time now, so I may react differently if the dose was upped.

DonW, you are right, we are getting older and chemically we change, also besides the droopiness and jowels. I will go to the Lilly site and see what info they have on Prozac. I am just thinking it's not doing what it did for me, say, 10 years ago.

Live, thanks. I would love to feel better! I am going to go to the Doc and ask what we can do for me to feel some better. I am not looking for a happy pill, just to tweak what I have now. I just have a feeling of low-grade depression, and I want to get over that hump. Don you are also correct in saying circumstances will make it seem like meds are not working...that plays a big part, too.

Thanks for answering, you were all a giant help to me...
Old 09-04-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

I originally started on 20 MG of Prozac, but it wasn't quite doing it... When I went to 40 MG it made all the difference in the world for me. But, then each person reacts differently to medications. There are great choices out there in antidepressants, so get with your Dr. and discuss your options. Good luck, I understand your struggle...

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They do lose their effectiveness over time, esp those in the SSRI class. You are lucky to have found one to work for 20 years!! Obviously, your pdoc is not listening. I used to be on Zoloft and though I know it was helping some, I was still feeling prety depressed, so I changed to a new med and it has worked better. If your pdoc is not open to this, then find a new doctor.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Red face

Wolfstarr..........

there are only a few meds that really seem to work for OCD, however, there are a plethora of meds that work for depression.

To cover the dual-diagnosis, you're choices get slim............
Prozac, Paxil or Luvox

I've been on all three and had the best success with Prozac; at the 40 mg level. Any higher than that, and I am just like you.........too many side effects to justify the higher dose.

Good luck!