SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Memory Garden (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/memory-garden/)
-   -   Remembering Gilmer (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/memory-garden/438503-remembering-gilmer.html)

courage2 05-10-2019 04:58 PM

Remembering Gilmer

Please! share your memories here.

Gilmer was different from anyone I've ever known. Steady and playful and crashing like the sea. Buoyant. She kept me afloat on SR. She had depths, & I think she had a treasure chest with things inside that there aren't words to describe.

https://i.postimg.cc/jqP6n2TR/Gilmer...Shot-Beach.jpg

least 05-10-2019 05:31 PM

I remember her grace in accepting her diagnosis. I miss her wisdom and kindness. Before she died, I asked her if she would please pet my old man Jack when she got to heaven. She promised me that she would. :) I miss you Kathy. :hug:

Dee74 05-10-2019 05:52 PM

What I remember most about Kathy is her faith. She would be the first to admit her flaws, but she tried harder than anyone else I know to live the Gospel and from that, her recovery.

Still missed, Gilmer :hug:
D

Hevyn 05-10-2019 06:28 PM

Kathy was a delight, & full of surprises. Deeply religious, but with a wild sense of irreverent humor. I treasure our PM's about Game of Thrones. She binge watched it just before getting very sick & she loved it. Now, it's the final season & only 2 episodes left. She really wanted to see how it ended. I can't help thinking how much she'd be enjoying it. Or maybe she is.

You'll always be part of us, Kathy.

Alysheba 05-11-2019 09:50 AM

I do miss Kathy deeply. So wonderful to correspond with, I still have a lot of her PMs too. Such a supportive, funny, practical, and lovely person. I will always remember you and your enormous help in being my faithful friend. I know your faith has found you in a wonderful place now. ♥

Hevyn 05-11-2019 10:07 AM

I feel sure of that, Aly. :hug:

Fly N Buy 05-11-2019 10:22 AM

While I make no pretense of having a deep relationship with Gilmer, I will add this; Gilmer's posts always struck me as non judgmental and supportive. She added value and grace to this forum. She was a compelling light in the darkness of faith.

Thank you, Kathy for reflecting the good in all.

saoutchik 05-12-2019 09:24 AM

Gilmer was one of those rare people who could find the good in anyone. She left us all way too soon but has gifted us with such fond memories.

Ann 05-12-2019 04:30 PM

I was uncomfortable, at first, about sharing her journey as she faced her final days. But I chose to walk with her and it was a privilege and and joy to be there each day to cheer her on in faith, to laugh with her and to pray for her not to suffer. She was perhaps the most wonderful person I have ever known, even though we never met in person.

I remember her saving the pictures we would send from all over the world, so she could feel like she had traveled to see each one of us. And we both loved a sunrise, the most glorious time of the day.

Kathy inspired me to live every moment of life, good days and bad, in gratitude and joy.

I miss her every day, and I truly believe we will meet again one day and continue the journey of love.

Thank you for all you gave right up to the very end, Kathy. Rest in peace in the arms of God.

venuscat 05-12-2019 05:11 PM

^^^ Amen.

You pulled the words from my heart as well as yours darling Ann..... :hug:

venuscat 05-12-2019 05:12 PM

I will say more....I am just not ready yet.

But I am extraordinarily grateful for this thread, and this forum. ♥

Mags1 05-12-2019 10:42 PM

Kathy, yes we all miss her so much and she feels so alive as I go through the posts in SR, especially the Gilmerites ❤️

Her wisdom for me was intelligent, honest and said it as it was......but her humour was so funny, I remember some words she said after having pizza with her grandson, .....We are like a couple of really nerdy hogs in slop! I absolutely laughed out loud at her words. Smiling now thinking about it.

I so miss her love of life and happiness, through everything Kathy remained faithful and sober. She is my shining light to follow.

Love and miss you Kathy. :grouphug:

DriGuy 05-13-2019 07:30 AM

I got here to late to meet Gilmer. I guess I missed someone very special.

Ann 05-14-2019 04:01 PM

DriGuy, if you listen very carefully you will hear her here, her spirit lives on in each of us who knew her. You will hear wisdom we got from Kathy, you will hear us laugh any time anyone says "Granny Pants" because the laughs and smiles Kathy left will never fade.

When you get time, read some of her posts. She was a shining example of recovery at its best.

Dee74 05-14-2019 05:25 PM

Her journey once she discovered her diagnosis is in the Best of Sober Recovery forum

D

venuscat 05-14-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann (Post 7184962)
DriGuy, if you listen very carefully you will hear her here, her spirit lives on in each of us who knew her. You will hear wisdom we got from Kathy, you will hear us laugh any time anyone says "Granny Pants" because the laughs and smiles Kathy left will never fade.

When you get time, read some of her posts. She was a shining example of recovery at its best.

Just yes. Oh Ann, you always manage to arrange the words so perfectly...... :) :hug: ♥

"You will hear wisdom we got from Kathy, you will hear us laugh any time anyone says "Granny Pants" because the laughs and smiles Kathy left will never fade."

courage2 05-18-2019 10:16 AM

Selfishly, the thing I miss right now, is that if I posted some whimper anywhere on SR, no matter how obscure, Gilmer picked right up on it and helped put me in the right frame. I trusted her.

Hevyn 05-18-2019 11:51 AM

She was definitely an honest & treasured friend.

venuscat 05-19-2019 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by courage2 (Post 7187286)
Selfishly, the thing I miss right now, is that if I posted some whimper anywhere on SR, no matter how obscure, Gilmer picked right up on it and helped put me in the right frame. I trusted her.

Yeah.....I hear you honey.....I feel the same way. I miss her most in the mornings....as you said....she was right on it if I wrote something that made her think I was sad or somehow not OK.... :hug: s

Now, in the mornings, I keep her with me. Somehow, as I go through SR and do my 24-hour post, I feel her wisdom washing over me....I feel her gentle encouraging words, and her not-so-gentle smack :), and this might sound corny, but I become infused with love.

And whatever was bothering me before I came to SR that morning (this morning...) just evaporates.

We will love her forever, and I believe she will always continue to guide us. ♥♥

Ann 05-22-2019 05:43 PM

We shared a lot of sunrises and now, when I am lucky enough to watch the sun rise in the morning, I think of her and always say "Good morning, Kathy".

Like many here, I feel her light shining, I hear her words when I need to hear them most, and I am inspired just by thinking of her.

We have all been blessed just to have known her. She is one of those special people that come into our lives for a limited amount of time, but who stay with us forever.

Goodnight, Kathy.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me.../41/sunset.jpg