Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Marijuana Addiction
Reload this Page >

Too Much Marijuana Can Make You Unpleasantly, Dangerously Sick

Notices

Old 02-16-2022, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...-make-you-sick

For years, medical marijuana has been used to ease nausea from cancer chemotherapy and GI conditions. Now, with greater legalization comes growing awareness that chronic use of marijuana -- also known as cannabis -- can trigger a condition where, ironically, a person has hard-to-control vomiting and nausea.

Some people with the disorder, known as “cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome,” also report crippling belly pain.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A friend’s son had this. Lots of pain and it took a while to get a correct diagnosis.
‘Okay now.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear your friends son is OK now Maudcat

D
Old 05-25-2022, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. My daughter, we believe, has this and just got out of the hospital after 8 days. I have read that the only way to be certain that this is the correct diagnosis is to stop (her doctor said even 2nd hand smoke could trigger an episode). It was very interesting to see in the hospital that the gastroenterologist and also the endocrinologist (she is a type 1 diabetic) and some of the nurses knew about this condition. The endocrinologist said that, as you pointed out, some patients are helped by smoking marijuana, but for a small percentage, it leads to terrible GI problems and bouts of convulsive vomiting, which in my daughter's case lasted for 7 days before she could keep anything down. Just horrible. We are told that she will be just fine if she never touches the stuff again.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry your daughter ended up in hospital. Hopefully this will be a wake up call for her.
Wishing the best for your daughter and for you and your family seekingcalm

D
Old 05-26-2022, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee,
I have shared with her the link to this site, and I pray that she will be fine.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My sister developed this — she was using cannabis in high amounts every waking hour for years. It’s a very real condition. She’s been sober for over a year now ❤️
Old 05-28-2022, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope so too, seekingcalm
Great news about your sister now Evoo

D
Old 01-27-2023, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unfortunately there is no test for this, it's a diagnosis of elimination. That being said, I strongly suspect I was beginning to develop this and actually came back to warn people about it. Looks like it's already been talked about. I was lucky to find out about it early enough that I recognized the prodromal phase symptoms and stopped using before I hit hyperemesis. People have died from this, it can be very brutal. Often times people look in all of the wrong places for the cause and wind up spending tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills and ER visits. Feel like I dodged a bullet and now have a very solid reason to quit for good.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back Admiral and great to hear you've decided to quit for good

D
Old 01-31-2023, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

This was interesting and informative article.
Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome is caused by THC which is the psychoactive component of marijuana (what makes you high).

While THC has some medicinal properties of its own (such as use RSO for tumors), most of the medicinal properties are from other cannabinoids such as CBD and CBG which are not psychoactive.

When used in proper doses, isolates can be a game changer not only for people going through serious illnesses such as cancer (CBD really helped my husband) but also a good alternative to opiates for pain management.

Unless someone doesn't know any better or has no way of accessing isolates, it is disingenuous to use let's say arthritis as an excuse to smoke weed when you can get the same (or better) medicinal effect by using a cannabinoid which won't get you high.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Puff, the Magic Dragon

Something like that happened to me three times. Every time was on edibles. It was sudden, extreme vertigo with nausea. Sucked.

Puff
Old 03-27-2023, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is an under reported side effect. One of things the pot lobby/industry is good at is deflecting. If they focus on things like it helps with nausea after chemo the intestinal side effects get lost. People think if it helps cancer patients how can it be bad. They might use that rationalization especially in their stages of using/abusing the drug.