Notices

addicted

Old 10-30-2021, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addicted

I finally quit my alcohol addiction almost three years ago...I started smoking weed again almost three years ago(had previously given it up in 2005)...now I don't know how to live with it or without it. I just feel glad that at least it is not harming as much as the alcohol was. Except that I also now have a full blown sugar addiction too and that is not doing my body and mind any favors.

That's where I'm at these days.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bluejay and welcome back
You'll find a lot of support here.

Its very easy to swap one addiction for another or two or three.
How did you give up alcohol - would the same approach work with pot?

D

Old 10-30-2021, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, and thank you. I struggled for years to quit alcohol and had some good stretches of sobriety while in AA...then I decided to help myself a bit by using MJ, even though I knew it was dangerous for me...I had used MJ quite heavily from 1997-2005). Anyway, I haven't stopped using it almost everyday since day five of no alcohol almost three years ago! I have had an addiction since I was a child so I don't know how to live without one apparently. But I'm 50 now and feel like am barely holding myself together.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I smoked for 30 years daily so I know its hard to contemplate giving it up.

The actual giving up tho was easier for me than giving up alcohol.
It wasn't the most fun two weeks ever but once that was over I was pretty good.

The main thing I had to worry about smoking again - that voice on my head that said 'oh it's not so bad it's not as bad as alcohol', cos I think it really is as bad.

D
Old 10-30-2021, 09:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sure does have me as enslaved as alcohol did. And cigarettes at one time. Actually at one time I thought quitting cigarettes was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I did that in 2008. But within six months my long lost binge drinking habit woke up and then I became the daily drinker but 'functional'. So then that became the hardest thing I ever had to rise above. And sure I haven't had a drink for almost three years but I have needed to use MJ to not drink. I still have the same issues I knew about 20 years ago. So for all the 'work' I've done on myself over the last 20 years was me just running on the spot. So I know I need to take a real first step and I think if I can just at least come here and be honest about all of this somewhere that that is a first step. I hope so anyway. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Check in as often as you need Bluejay71

D
Old 10-31-2021, 02:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Bluejay, I think it’s often harder to accept a MJ addiction because it’s more manageable and easier to hide. But admitting it is a major step. It took me a year of toing and froing before I could fully admit that it was a real addiction and I couldn’t just do it at the weekend,etc. I’m close to a month off now and feel so much better. The first weeks are tough, but you’ll soon realise that the voice that tells you everything feels better if you get stoned is bull.

Good luck and here if you need to talk.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluejay71 View Post
I finally quit my alcohol addiction almost three years ago...I started smoking weed again almost three years ago(had previously given it up in 2005)...now I don't know how to live with it or without it. I just feel glad that at least it is not harming as much as the alcohol was. Except that I also now have a full blown sugar addiction too and that is not doing my body and mind any favors.

That's where I'm at these days.
That's what did it to me, also.... starting in on weed after being sober for a long while. Well.... it definitely made it even HARDER to break free of. I've spent most of the past year trying.

Keep at it, throw everything you can at it.

From Day 34 I can tell you confidently and with great new evidence what you already know: Your life will drastically improve when you put the weed back where it belongs; NOT in you or your life.