Notices

Back again

Old 10-02-2021, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

I've been using delta 8 THC on and off for about fourteen months now and things haven't been all that great during that time. It stopped being fun a long time ago but I've just continued to go through the motions anyways. It makes it so hard to function. My motivation completely tanks and I wind up just eating fast food for every meal and skipping out on chores and self care. Today is day four, usually things start to turn around after day five so I'm hopeful that withdrawal starts to wind down soon.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back and trying to put it down Admiral.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that delta-8, as I understand it, is also some pretty gnasty stuff for your health.

welcome back..... and hey, I can totally relate to all you just said.

Having been on a yo-yo of efforts to escape the grip of cannabis over the past 9 months, I keep making about 5-6 days (at one point as much as 30 days!) and then finding myself heading right back to the dispensary.

Today is another Day 5. This time around, I am actively treating my ADHD. Thus far, it feels different. Far fewer thoughts and cravings. When cravings or thoughts do arise, much easier to ride them out without acting on them.

Anyway, I'm here for you. Stick around!! This forum can be lonesome.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
that delta-8, as I understand it, is also some pretty gnasty stuff for your health.

welcome back..... and hey, I can totally relate to all you just said.

Having been on a yo-yo of efforts to escape the grip of cannabis over the past 9 months, I keep making about 5-6 days (at one point as much as 30 days!) and then finding myself heading right back to the dispensary.

Today is another Day 5. This time around, I am actively treating my ADHD. Thus far, it feels different. Far fewer thoughts and cravings. When cravings or thoughts do arise, much easier to ride them out without acting on them.

Anyway, I'm here for you. Stick around!! This forum can be lonesome.
The problem with Delta 8 is that it's an unregulated market. I think there's a misconception that if something is sold in stores it's been vetted, tested and is safe. That's simply not true. I think there are a number of competent companies that are less risky, but there are also countless companies churning out bad stuff that will make you sick immediately. This stuff is all over the place and it's being advertised and promoted heavily.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on the 4 days sober, and I hope things really pick up for you after day five. Never heard of this thing called Delta 8, but I’m staying off it.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day six, still going strong.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

good work

D
Old 10-04-2021, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Day - Wonderful news, Admiral.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Day six, still going strong.
Right on, brother!! I'm rooting for you!

Old 10-12-2021, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 14. This is the longest streak in six months. I don't really feel emotionally gross anymore, but sleep continues to be an issue. I would take large doses of edibles in the evening and I feel like I became dependent on it for sleep. Not sure when that will get better as I can't remember the last time I reached this phase. I think part of the problem is that I'm afraid of what I might encounter if I finally get to sleep. The nightmares can lag significantly behind the other withdrawal symptoms. It seems like in the past I've hit day five, thought I was good and then gotten hit by dreams so bad that I was afraid to sleep again. The lack of sleep is starting to wear me down. I'm really irritable during the day and just feel fatigued and kind of sick.

I'm not really sure why I haven't had any cravings so far. This has never happened to me before. I have been doing Wim Hof exercises for the past three weeks or so and that may be why. It's a breathing exercise and then cold exposure in the form of cold showers or cold baths. I guess I will continue to do it and see how it goes. The breathing exercises are fun and relaxing and the cold is shocking and also calming in its own way.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 2 weeks Admiral

D
Old 10-12-2021, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 14. This is the longest streak in six months. I don't really feel emotionally gross anymore, but sleep continues to be an issue. I would take large doses of edibles in the evening and I feel like I became dependent on it for sleep. Not sure when that will get better as I can't remember the last time I reached this phase. I think part of the problem is that I'm afraid of what I might encounter if I finally get to sleep. The nightmares can lag significantly behind the other withdrawal symptoms. It seems like in the past I've hit day five, thought I was good and then gotten hit by dreams so bad that I was afraid to sleep again. The lack of sleep is starting to wear me down. I'm really irritable during the day and just feel fatigued and kind of sick.

I'm not really sure why I haven't had any cravings so far. This has never happened to me before. I have been doing Wim Hof exercises for the past three weeks or so and that may be why. It's a breathing exercise and then cold exposure in the form of cold showers or cold baths. I guess I will continue to do it and see how it goes. The breathing exercises are fun and relaxing and the cold is shocking and also calming in its own way.
Great work!!!

The Wm Hoff stuff will actually work quite well because it's a way to elevate your baseline dopamine. Check out the recent Huberman Labs podcast on Dopamine. Great insights there into helping elevate baseline dopamine through things like cold exposure, exercise, dopaminergic foods...

The sleep issues really are a pain. I've been having similar challenges, though it's (MAYBE?) getting better bit by bit.

KEEP AT IT!!

Old 10-13-2021, 02:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do the cold showers too admiral. I find them really helpful for anxiety. My sleep is suffering too. I guess your body needs to adjust to a new sleep pattern. Well done on two weeks
Old 10-13-2021, 08:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very well done on the two weeks, especially if you are experiencing sleeping problems. You’re working your way through it and it will get better, no doubt.

I did cold showers for a while as well, and maybe I will start again with those after reading your posts. Not looking forward to turning that knob on the tap, but the rush afterwards is something special.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 16 - the slog continues. I have a book on weed addiction that warns to not be fooled by the pink cloud phase. It said that you can feel great at first and then get hit with all sorts of emotions a week or two down the road. It feels like this is what happened to me. No motivation, irritable, ready to snap at anyone, pessimism. I saw a video where this guy basically described the same thing. He said he'd feel incredible, then terrible, then incredible for a while, then terrible again. He said after a few phases of this you feel like you're going insane. I don't know how long this will last but some people seem to have this instead of feeling bad right away followed by a steady improvement. Gross.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty familiar to me. It doesn’t always happen, but I did a dry January (no alcohol and weed) and I felt intensely good for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately that is not how things continued. I’d say: enjoy it while it lasts, and use that good spirit to make plans for the more difficult moments. I always have major problems with staying quit after a month or three. In that span of time I’ve forgotten the real downsides, being sober starts to feel normal and that’s when the addictive voice starts talking. And it has some VERY convincing arguments.

The only advice I can give you is: do something. Be active, physically active I mean. For instance: take a walk in nature and make it a longer walk. It may feel weird in the beginning, but give it some time. It really does wonders for the mind. It’s about the only thing that calms my mind in the way weed does. The natural high is to be found there.

I hope you will start to feel better real soon. Keep posting, keep venting, start moving and know that you are not alone in this.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 16 - the slog continues. I have a book on weed addiction that warns to not be fooled by the pink cloud phase. It said that you can feel great at first and then get hit with all sorts of emotions a week or two down the road. It feels like this is what happened to me. No motivation, irritable, ready to snap at anyone, pessimism. I saw a video where this guy basically described the same thing. He said he'd feel incredible, then terrible, then incredible for a while, then terrible again. He said after a few phases of this you feel like you're going insane. I don't know how long this will last but some people seem to have this instead of feeling bad right away followed by a steady improvement. Gross.
I struggled with that stuff for a few years after getting sober, and every darn time I tried to quit weed over the past 9+ months.

What I began to discover was that those feelings don't "go away" - you work your sobriety and recovery to work through them. For some, that is stepwork. For some, therapy. For some meditation, still others - medication. For me, it turns out, all of the above.

Keep at it, you're doing great!