Notices

Almost 6 months, thoughts creeping in

Old 09-17-2020, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 6 months, thoughts creeping in

Hi guys,

Like many of us, I'm battling addiction on two fronts: cannabis and alcohol.

Good news is, I'm 23 weeks clean from cannabis and three months booze-free (bar two drinking days, which I quickly extinguished).

However, I'm finding myself thinking about weed again. I'm not going to act on these thoughts, but they're becoming more pervasive.

Does anybody have any experience/tips to deal with this issue? I'm nearly six months clean, which was unfathomable at the turn of the year.

I intend to stay stopped, so I'm doubling down on my recovery efforts - but I need help from the community.

Thanks, everyone
Old 09-17-2020, 12:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

I suppose that's normal that your sub-conscience keeps sending signals that it feels something is missing.
A couple of days ago I had a nightmare where I dreamed that I drank an entire bottle of wine and was feeling awful with remorse. Luckily that was just a dream and I kept my sober streak.
The same thing happens to you - don't let your guards down and keep those thoughts away.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi resurgence

I thought about weed for a lot longer after I quit than I did about alcohol.

I smoked before I ever started drinking, but it hit the same pleasure centres in the brain and I became every bit as enslaved to it as I did to alcohol later on.

That continued thinking about it - even after I accepted that I was an alcoholic and had an addictive personality - was a clear sign that I had to be strong and resolute and not give in to having a smoke here and there.

13 years on I see how insidious and dangerous an addiction it was for me and I'm very very glad I held the line.

You will be too

D
Old 09-17-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Renegade, Dee, thank you both.

Yes, I certainly intend on holding the line, and insidious is the exact word I'd use to describe it too.

The results of my alcohol addiction were like a 42 car pile-up, whereas weed was more like driving with a flat tyre - hoping to get home and dry despite red lights flashing and alarm bells ringing.

Thanks again

Old 09-17-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Resurgence
I'm almost 3 years weed free and 2.5 years alcohol free.
Before this successful recovery, I tried to quit weed many many times. Although I failed very early in most of my attempts, I managed to stay clean in three different times of my life, for 5 months, 9 months and 6 years. In those three occasions, my sober streak ended the exact same way: I began to think about weed again, and began to believe that "this time will be different, I'm different now". It never worked, and I always ended up at the same place I was before, or worse. I suffered a lot.
I also suffered a lot during withdrawals,

So I can't even think about smoking weed anymore. I don't think, I can't think and I won't think.
When the thought appears, I tell my wife like "I'm thinking about smoking weed again" and we kinda laugh af the absurdity of what I just said. Not because it's funny, but because I would have to be the greatest idiot that was ever born to even consider smoking weed again, after all I've been through and all I have acchieved in 3 years, how much I'm happier now.

I think what I'm trying to say is... value your sober time. Don't waste it, like I did before. Don't you even allow yourself to consider smoking again. Remembering is an exercise. Remember the reasons why you quit in the first place. Always remember, never forget, never believe it can be different, because it just won't be.

Take care.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your advice, Pacoloco
Old 09-18-2020, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Think of your craving like it's the itch of a mosquito bite.

Don't scratch it.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Resurgence!
I'm almost 5 years off alcohol and over 3 years off weed. That damn weed. I thought about it long after I quit. It was not that way with alcohol. Insidious, yes.
I use 2 tools whenever those thoughts of starting up again happen.
1. I think about the reasons why I quit. How miserable it made me. How it held me back.
2. I think about the benefits I get from being clean and sober. How my life has changed. How much I have achieved since quitting.
And it works. And the good news is these thought of using again keep getting farther and farther apart. And the thoughts last for shorter and shorter periods of time.
It just keeps getting easier and better. You can do this. You just have to stick with it.
Oh, and I log on here everyday. It's a daily affirmation that'll keep you on track.

This is a good read.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...hout-weed.html (Reasons Life is Better Without Weed)

This is a great read.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Update.

Made it six months, yesterday
Old 10-08-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Resurgence!

I'm so happy for you. You are doing so great.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
Update.

Made it six months, yesterday

I'm confused...

did you not post this just a couple days ago??

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
Joining the October brigade having relapsed this weekend.

Nice to see you all

??
Old 10-08-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Or maybe you are counting your weed and alcohol sober dates separately. Sorry, sometimes I just don't notice which forum I'm in. I apologize!
Old 10-08-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done on 6 months weed free resurgence

D